Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Beware Of Your Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 10:47 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! This does sound like a movie or something (like Steph said)... the ball is definitely in your court.

Oh yeah, sorry about your ordeal.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:01 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dealership's point of view

First let me say that what happened sucked. If I owned that dealership I would not only fire that jacka*s, but I would probably sue him for the damage to the dealership's reputation just to make an example out of him to the other employees and to be sure he suffered as much as possible.

That said.....

My reply here is just to explain how it would likely go in court.

Originally posted by jgraeb01
[B]however, there are a few issues here I can think of:

Firstly, yes, the car was "designed" to go that fast ... but can it be construed as neglience that the service department took the car to that speed? Remember, he was stopped 9 (?) miles away from the Dealership?
Yes, that is negligence. When you are negligent you must pay for damages. Their lawyer would argue that driving a Z at 100 mph does not damage it in any significant way unless it is during breakin (which it was not). Offering an extended warranty for free would certainly cover any hidden defects caused. (that was the lawyer speaking)

Also, this car has apparently come back worse for wear every time it goes to the dealership ... maybe this has happened before and only this time did they get caught.
Maybe, maybe not. But in court gotta prove your case if you want money. Just the rules of the game. Besides pissing off the owner of the car, what damage can be proven?

As far as the NAV option, I think the GM should have just let it go really. Everyone keeps talking $1900, but the NAV doesn't cost the dealer that much. He should have at least been willing to give it to you at his cost, or split the difference with you.
FYI: The NAV invoice price is over $1700 according to Edmunds. I would agree the dealer should have offered him the new car for only $1700 more.

The dealer is losing money, yes, but how much? He's probably going to re-sell your car for a premium, plus all the money they made over MSRP on previous new vehicles.
Well, he is losing lots money actually. He was offering to take in a used car with like 10K miles and trade it for a brand new one. Even "at a premium" that used Z is not worth nearly as much as a brand new one.

To be totally honest I think this dealers offer was great. Once he has a chance to cool down and talk to his lawyer he will probably retract the offer and go to court. The court will most likely find limited damages and order minimal payment. The BEST the court could possibly order is that the dealer replace the car with an identical car AND get paid for the mileage on the first car (much as a lemon buy-back would be calculated).

As a fellow Z fan, and as someone who HATES leaving his cars at a dealership for EXACTLY this fear, I am strongly on the side of the poor Z owner. Even if I was his best friend on earth, I would advise him to jump on the offer of a brand new replacement Z. It is a good offer and it is better than he is likely to do in court.

As for making the dealership look bad on TV or whatever, that may hurt them, but it won't help the guy who's car was messed with. Besides, this was a bad employee. I doubt the owner or manager of the dealership had a policy allowing this sort of thing. The guy who owns this dealership is ALSO a victim. His busines will suffer and lose money because someone he trusted as an employee betrayed that trust.

I would be pissed to! But there are 2 sides to this.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:42 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by BoostTed
Joe what the hell are u doing here? Thinking of crossing over? More A4 and ex-A4 owners here than i thought

Yeah, the A4 is great, with a wonderful interior and design... but they're just too heavy and slow. I'm tired of having to modify the heck out of my car just to make it reasonably quick. I want something that's fast from the factory! I've decided I can take the drop in interior quality in order to have the seriously increased performance.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread. I'll shut up now and take it to PM.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:11 PM
alex30327

Default dearler

Sounds familiar! Know I know what happens behind the scenes sometimes. I busted my dealer with a car chip.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=45732
Old 10-10-2003, 03:51 PM
labowbow

hmm..
I will take the offer and then go to the TV and make a big story out of it.
the public deserve to know the truth.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:06 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A couple of thoughts

I wonder if you (or the owner of the dealership) can press charges against that employee for stealing your car! It was in the care of the dealership, but they certainly did not authorize his joy ride.

Facing auto theft charges in court might help him see the error of his ways.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:41 AM
Duflacci

Default Re: dearler

Originally posted by alex30327
Sounds familiar! Know I know what happens behind the scenes sometimes. I busted my dealer with a car chip.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=45732
What was the name of the dealership, I bring my car to ATL for service, can you PM me....? I need to bring it in soon....They have 2 new front tires on order for the TSB
Old 10-16-2003, 05:18 AM
MSCHOEN2U

Default DEALERSHIP

My main problem I had with my Touring was the dealer, Eddie Tourelle"s Northpark Nissan of Covington, La. The mechanic took my touring for a joy ride @110mph on a 2 lane hwy, 12 miles away from the dealership, the mechanic is still at work so I guess Eddie Tourelle Northpark Nissan in Covington, La. condones it. I had to pay 2k , to replace my Touring.. and to this day (day 9)I still do not have a car. However my check to Eddie Tourelle"s Northpark Nissan of Covington, La. has neen cashed. If any Z owners would like to contact Eddie Tourelle Northpark Nissan in Covington, La. their Toll Free # is 1-888-350-0079. I will pick up the police report tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:33 AM
marhot

Default Unbelievable...

Sorry for the repeat, but your story just really upsets me. I SERIOUSLY advise you to see an attorney in addition to contacting the media.

Thanks for the update, and please post what the charges against the mechanic are going to be.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:51 AM
mpfstew

How is it that you still don't have a car? I don't think it matters if your check is cashed or not. When you buy a new car and write them a check for the down payment or whatever, you get to drive away without the check being cashed by the bank. Is your old car still impounded? WTF!
Old 10-16-2003, 09:27 AM
Ralphus

I woulda took the new car, dumb move to pass on that.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:04 AM
zpylot

Default Re: DEALERSHIP

Originally posted by MSCHOEN2U
... and to this day (day 9)I still do not have a car. However my check to Eddie Tourelle"s Northpark Nissan of Covington, La. has neen cashed.
Have you contacted any TV stations yet? I would be all over that, they live and breath this kind of stuff.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:30 PM
DeludedBuzz

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember a similar story happened to an S4? I think on the audiworld boards a year ago or so. Except this time the idiot crashed, totaled the car and almost killed another family in an SUV.

Dealers...
Old 10-16-2003, 03:02 PM
BoostTed

Originally posted by DeludedBuzz
I remember a similar story happened to an S4? I think on the audiworld boards a year ago or so. Except this time the idiot crashed, totaled the car and almost killed another family in an SUV.

Dealers...
that was jyoteen's car a imola S4 tech took it out fora spin..well he was racing at 100+ on the 134, crashed and totaled the car. It was on the news i'll find the pic of the news clip for u.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:29 PM
BoostTed

heres the image of it if you wanna see damage to the car let me know
Old 10-16-2003, 05:35 PM
jreiter

That pic cracks me up. Did he really end up getting a Porsche? I don't remember the outcome of it.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:44 PM
BoostTed

Originally posted by jreiter
That pic cracks me up. Did he really end up getting a Porsche? I don't remember the outcome of it.
dealer bought him a brand new S4 sedan which he didnt want so he got a S4 avant instead. But yea eventually did get a 911 but not out of all this tho.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:06 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You have without a doubt, been wronged. That being said, other than some of your time and some time without your car, you really have not suffered any major MONETARY loss. And PLEASE, don't give me the tired old attorney phrase: "Pain and Suffering".

It is attitudes like this, where everyone starts to scream GET AN ATTORNEY!!!! SUE THE DEALER!!!!, that have lead to the decay of our legal system and the fact that EVERYTHING costs so damn much. ESPECIALLY insurance.

I can see if you were in the car and the dealer crashed it and you or a loved one was hurt. I can even see it if they crashed and damaged you car. But other than being complete IDIOTS, what "harm" to you have they caused?

The guy is under no legal obligation to give you a new car. He offered it anyway. I think to turn that down was foolish.

Purely my opinion. Not necessarily the correct one.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:27 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

DITTO! DITTO!

My thoughts exactly. You should have taken the new car. I had my entire front end, mirrors, headlights, hood, ect, razor bladed by the dealer and all I got was a new paint job. I could have done more, but I didn't want to hire a $$$ hungry lawyer.

Heck they wouldn't give me a new car even when I suggested it. You had best jump on this deal, and do it quickly!

BTW, I only had 100+ miles when it happened. Had it less than a week.

Old 10-16-2003, 06:51 PM
Z350Maniac

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
You have without a doubt, been wronged. That being said, other than some of your time and some time without your car, you really have not suffered any major MONETARY loss. And PLEASE, don't give me the tired old attorney phrase: "Pain and Suffering".

It is attitudes like this, where everyone starts to scream GET AN ATTORNEY!!!! SUE THE DEALER!!!!, that have lead to the decay of our legal system and the fact that EVERYTHING costs so damn much. ESPECIALLY insurance.
someone needs to have their car STOLEN and then see how he feels about it. That someone would be CRYING a whole new tune...

Perhaps they need to take a empathetic perspective instead of the high and mighty mount they ALWAYS sit atop to PREACH from. Can't empathize with anyone, but I'd guarantee you that if something went wrong in your life we'd be here for you as well and saying the same thing. People talk and $h!7 happens, but JESUS everytime you gotta pop in with the "SOCIETY is dirt you suck because you say this, you're WRONG I am RIGHT... blah blah blah." it never changes with some people.

disclaimer: I am not saying someone should steal ANYONE's pride and joy, but I'd much like to see how certain people would deal with it. Life's a bowl of cherries till someone knocks the bowl over and spills it.

Originally posted by zand02max
Heck they wouldn't give me a new car even when I suggested it. You had best jump on this deal, and do it quickly!
over a paint job???!!!

I remember your thread. You think he's ridiculous in his request for a lawyer? You requested a CAR over a $3K PAINT JOB... this guy's vehicle was abused to no end and proven so. I was glad to hear they did you right in the end and you got things situated, but people still screamed "sue! sue! sue!" in your thread as well.

I don't agree with the lawyer bit either, but ya didn't hear me jumping on everyone's case about it. I believe the dealer effed up BIG TIME. The fact that they can't maintain employees and discipline accordingly (if a mechanic goes out for a test drive for whatever reason and is gone for 10 minutes+ YOU KNOW he's F**KING around. and this guy was 12 MILES away.) It's the delaerships responsibility to keep tabs on the employees and I can GUARANTEE you that this wasn't the ONLY car given the "special" treatment. I do believe that regardless of what happened, the police, press, and media should have been notified and an investigation conducted on this dealership. What the GM and owner tried to pull was a cop out hand me down. Keep quiet about this and we'll make it worth your while. WRONG. You don't make a wrong right by covering it up.

Last edited by Z350Maniac; 10-16-2003 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Beware Of Your Dealer