Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Beware Of Your Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 07:00 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UH, I don't think the car was stolen man, it was taken for a joy ride. The mechanic had every right to drive it, but not drive it that fast.

He got caught, where as, most do not. I do not condone what he did, but the dealer is doing everything it can do take care of this customer.

THEY ARE DOING THEIR END!

And the last 4 sentences you said, I dodn't understand a word you said. All I got was BLAH BLAH BLAH! I got that part.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:02 PM
KONVERTER

im taking my car to PERFORMANCE NISSAN tommorow for my 15000 mile service..
Old 10-16-2003, 07:09 PM
Z350Maniac

Originally posted by zand02max
UH, I don't think the car was stolen man, it was taken for a joy ride. The mechanic had every right to drive it, but not drive it that fast.

He got caught, where as, most do not. I do not condone what he did, but the dealer is doing everything it can do take care of this customer.

THEY ARE DOING THEIR END!

And the last 4 sentences you said, I dodn't understand a word you said. All I got was BLAH BLAH BLAH! I got that part.
tee hee I don't think the car was stolen either tee hee but I waned to make a point tee hee that if someone's car was violated tee hee (theft is the worst violation.) they'd feel a WHOLE lot differently. tee hee

maybe you can understand that paragraph. if not tee hee.

OFFICIALLY DONE WITH THIS ONE.

Last edited by Z350Maniac; 10-16-2003 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:15 PM
rummya87

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aaah, what a textbook case of "respondeat superior"! make the dealer cover EVERY charge, as this is a tort against you, and the dealer made a breach of duty, and you were harmed, therefore, they should cover your expenses
Old 11-01-2003, 06:23 PM
jomaxum

My rule is to never, ever let a dealership touch my car. They will always screwup something in the process of "fixing the car". Bottom line, they don't care, their people don't care. They work on a Z, then an oily Sentra. They get the same hourly rate for both. This is the downside of owning a Nissan, or a Ford, or a Chevy. The service departments make more than the sales side and they do it with volume. You are just a commodity to them. I won't even let them change my oil even though my dealer gave me free oil changes for the first year.

It is really sad to say, but the average person working on your car could care less if it gets screwed up. Many times they go out of their way to abuse a car they can't afford to own just for kicks.

Ain't America great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2003, 07:16 PM
alex30327

Originally posted by jomaxum
My rule is to never, ever let a dealership touch my car. They will always screwup something in the process of "fixing the car". Bottom line, they don't care, their people don't care. They work on a Z, then an oily Sentra. They get the same hourly rate for both. This is the downside of owning a Nissan, or a Ford, or a Chevy. The service departments make more than the sales side and they do it with volume. You are just a commodity to them. I won't even let them change my oil even though my dealer gave me free oil changes for the first year.

It is really sad to say, but the average person working on your car could care less if it gets screwed up. Many times they go out of their way to abuse a car they can't afford to own just for kicks.

Ain't America great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Could agree anymore! After years of just despicable service from several different dealerships I now longer let them touch my car anymore as well. Word to the wise, stay far, far,far away! They will f*uck up your car weather it be intentionally or un-intentionally.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:32 PM
Cyclemut

Hey guys, my first post, but a couple of things in this thread are kinda wierd.

When you guys sign a repair order, either at a dealership or a local repair facility, read the little print next to the sig line.

You're giving us (oops, I'm a "stealership" mechanic) permission to test drive the vehicle. Whether it's a 30k Z or a 42K Armada, we have to test drive 'em.

You wouldn't want to be handed the keys and be told "Oh yeah, be sure to bed your pads on the way home", or "Tell us if it drives straight, we just aligned it." would you? I wouldn't.

The other thing, not all Techs are a-holes. Some of us are actually good guys, with high Fixed Right the First Time scores. We're the guys way in the back, because we don't have to be watched constantly, with a lot of loyal customers that don't want the "new guy" touching their Z, Max or Pathfinder.

A couple of guys on here have me work on their cars, and they're the ones that told me to register (even though I drive a lowly B15 Sentra GXE). You all seem like nice guys, but not all techs are the same.

Sorry for the length. (dons the nomex suit)
Old 11-01-2003, 09:47 PM
dchengmd

Test driving the vehicle is fine, but at over 100mph and 9 miles away from the dealership? Give me a break.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:31 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

someone needs to have their car STOLEN and then see how he feels about it. That someone would be CRYING a whole new tune...
Who said anything about anyones car being STOLEN? If someone STOLE your car (in other words, you don't get it back) then sure, you would be entitled to compensation. There is monetary loss in this case. But he had NO MONETARY LOSS whatsoever.

instead of the high and mighty mount they ALWAYS sit atop to PREACH from. Can't empathize with anyone, but I'd guarantee you that if something went wrong in your life we'd be here for you as well and saying the same thing.
Wow, I didn't realize that I was considered "high and mighty" here. I'm not preaching to anyone. I'm stating a simple fact of life that you and everyone else here should already know. When people sue other people, whether it is deserved or not, it ends up costing us ALL. OOPS, there I go again PREACHING as I ALWAYS seem to do.

everytime you gotta pop in with the "SOCIETY is dirt you suck because you say this, you're WRONG I am RIGHT... blah blah blah." it never changes
I said nothing about "society" and I didn't say anyone sucked. I didn't even say "you're wrong I am right". In fact, I went so far as to say that it was simply my opinion and might not even be the correct one. Now, the blah blah blah part, I'll have to concede!

I do believe that regardless of what happened, the police, press, and media should have been notified and an investigation conducted on this dealership.
Yes, but then he would have received NO MONEY or a new car!!! The poor attorney would have no fee to recover!!! The price of our new cars wouldn't go up at all!!! Our liability insurance wouldn't even go up!!! That sir, would be an outrage!!! Where is the JUSTICE in that???
Old 11-02-2003, 12:00 AM
Cyclemut

Default Absolutely!

Originally posted by dchengmd
Test driving the vehicle is fine, but at over 100mph and 9 miles away from the dealership? Give me a break.
I totally agree with you there. If anyone in my shop was caught doing that, he'd find his box out on the street before he could get back to the shop. Maybe even chain it to a mass transit bus too.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:48 PM
Stinger1

I know this is not a fair response, but I have purchased a lot of cars in my life. My co-workers even ask me what I am driving this week as a joke. When I say this, I am speaking from my personal experience dealing with car dealerships. I don't like them. They all are trying to get the most money out of you from the time of sale to servicing your investment down the road. I had a Volvo dealership try to charge me 650.00 dollars to replace a boot on a front axle and I got it fixed at an independent service center for 90.00 and I bought the part for 30.00. I will say the best experience I had was at a Jaguar Dealership, these people actually treat you like you’re a human being. Although, they figure you have no problem with money if you’re in a Jaguar Dealership to begin with. But, every other dealer assumes you’re stupid. When asked what's the lowest price they'll accept on an auto your looking at the first thing out of their mouth is what would you like your payments to be. People who have done there homework before they enter won't be taken advantage of as much as others. But, they will still try their hardest at selling extended warranties and paint sealant and anything else they can to jack up the selling price. I don't think they really know how much their customers hate them for it. And, when it comes to making things right they still can't let go of that 1900.00 nav system. Call the Press, Call the local TV stations, Call Nissan, but first call the meanest and nastiest lawyer you can find. It's time to send a message to these scum buckets. What really amazes me is the way the owners of these dealers live. Take a look at there homes and then go take a look at their customers homes. I have nothing against capitalism. But out right stinky greed, let's make the poor bastard pay till it hurts and then charge him another 5 to 10 percent more interest on his loan because we want to keep him poor attitude is beside me. Now, some of you may disagree and I really don't give a flying you know what. Bottom line is a dealership who deals fairly and loves his customers and his employees as himself just doesn't exist. If you ever watch these guys manage there sales staff it's almost funny how behind the times their motivational tactics are. "Inspiration by Intimidation" People wonder why other people go postal at work. It's because of that mind set. If I am wrong and you know a person who is fair and wants to sell Nissans. Tell him to come to Dallas and open a Nissan Dealership. I'll give them all my business.
Stinger1
Old 11-04-2003, 03:57 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Stinger, I agree with you. Most dealers do seem to be scum. I also agree that the guy should go to the press. If that kind of thing was made public, the dealer would really feel the hurt in sales and service.

Where I don't agree is when everyone screams GO GET A LAWYER. THAT is where it gets ridiculous. They offered him a new car for goodness sake! And there wasn't really anything "wrong" with his! Where are his legal "damages"? When attorneys get involved, everything gets more expensive, for ALL of us.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:03 AM
My_Tampa_Z

When attorneys get involved, everything gets more expensive, for ALL of us
Spoken like a true Physician!.......I do however, agree with you!
Old 11-06-2003, 03:47 AM
Stinger1

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Stinger, I agree with you. Most dealers do seem to be scum. I also agree that the guy should go to the press. If that kind of thing was made public, the dealer would really feel the hurt in sales and service.

Where I don't agree is when everyone screams GO GET A LAWYER. THAT is where it gets ridiculous. They offered him a new car for goodness sake! And there wasn't really anything "wrong" with his! Where are his legal "damages"? When attorneys get involved, everything gets more expensive, for ALL of us.
My point was the dealership should of thrown in the Nav system and not even blinked. This would of been a grand jesture that we are extremely sorry and will do anything to keep your business. You have to take into consideration that this dealership has already made more than the cost of a Nav system on the sale of the first car. Even if they had given him the car with the Nav system their still ahead. They take his car and put it on the used lot and could sell it without taking a loss. Comes back to greed. Can't stand to break even. Got to show a profit no matter what. They should turn back flips to please this customer. If you owned the Dealership and recieved a letter from this mans attorney you would do what ever possible to please him. Try taking this case to court and you lose. Plus it cost you a hell of a lot more than a NAV system. I personally can think of a jury in the world which would take the Dealerships side in this matter. And the Dealer knows this. Plus, it's not worth the bad publicity if the press gets a hold of this. They would have a field day. My point is, when running a business, the customers satisfaction is the most important thing. I guarantee if I was told to go pick out a car and they through in a Nav system. They would have my business for life. Plus, a lot of good word-of-mouth advertising as I told everyone I know how great the Dealership took care of me. But, after reading this, If I were in his shoes knowing what had happened with my car and having to go home that evening without a ride I wouldn't be to happy, and I would not be a great advertising tool for them either. I agree attorneys do make matters worse in a lot of areas, but we're talking Car Dealerships and the way they treat their customers here. We're not sueing Mc Donalds because you personally can't hold on to a cup of coffee. And as far as his damages, that's all a matter of personnal opinion. Some people here haven't a problem driving their cars to the limit. But, personnally I baby mine. I have always wanted a Z and now I have one. Money doesn't come easy at my place and I have worked hard all my life. I am 46 not 16 and daddy just bought me a new toy. This toy has been a long time coming for me and I baby it. Still have 4 and 1/2 years to pay on it. If I was told my car was clocked doing over 100 miles per hour and was on it's way to be impounded I would be throughly PISSED OFF!!!!!
So as you see everyone in this forum has a different relationship with his or her Z. Mine is probably pampered more than most. I want it to last a long time.

Just my opinion,
Sorry for the rambling,

Last edited by Stinger1; 11-06-2003 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:40 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Not trying to flame, but I believe the car was not impounded, it was brought back to the dealer by the tow truck.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:13 AM
marhot

Default Great posts, Stinger1

But your 2nd was right on the money. It just comes down to GREED on the part of the dealership.

The money quote:
“You have to take into consideration that this dealership has already made more than the cost of a Nav system on the sale of the first car. Even if they had given him the car with the Nav system their still ahead. They take his car and put it on the used lot and could sell it without taking a loss. Comes back to greed. Can't stand to break even. Got to show a profit no matter what. They should turn back flips to please this customer.”

That, people, is the bottom line of this whole thread. That is why many of us are advising MSCHOEN2U to get an attorney. What the dealership did is unconscionable; they should be taking care of the customer, not ALWAYS trying to find a way in ALL situations to try to screw them.

I do disagree with you on one point, not ALL dealerships are bad, maybe 95%, but not all. I’ve found a couple that treated me fair.

Again, great post Stinger1

Peace
Old 11-06-2003, 08:30 AM
Stinger1

Originally posted by Stinger1
My point was the dealership should of thrown in the Nav system and not even blinked. This would of been a grand jesture that we are extremely sorry and will do anything to keep your business. You have to take into consideration that this dealership has already made more than the cost of a Nav system on the sale of the first car. Even if they had given him the car with the Nav system their still ahead. They take his car and put it on the used lot and could sell it without taking a loss. Comes back to greed. Can't stand to break even. Got to show a profit no matter what. They should turn back flips to please this customer. If you owned the Dealership and recieved a letter from this mans attorney you would do what ever possible to please him. Try taking this case to court and you lose. Plus it cost you a hell of a lot more than a NAV system. I personally can think of a jury in the world which would take the Dealerships side in this matter. And the Dealer knows this. Plus, it's not worth the bad publicity if the press gets a hold of this. They would have a field day. My point is, when running a business, the customers satisfaction is the most important thing. I guarantee if I was told to go pick out a car and they through in a Nav system. They would have my business for life. Plus, a lot of good word-of-mouth advertising as I told everyone I know how great the Dealership took care of me. But, after reading this, If I were in his shoes knowing what had happened with my car and having to go home that evening without a ride I wouldn't be to happy, and I would not be a great advertising tool for them either. I agree attorneys do make matters worse in a lot of areas, but we're talking Car Dealerships and the way they treat their customers here. We're not sueing Mc Donalds because you personally can't hold on to a cup of coffee. And as far as his damages, that's all a matter of personnal opinion. Some people here haven't a problem driving their cars to the limit. But, personnally I baby mine. I have always wanted a Z and now I have one. Money doesn't come easy at my place and I have worked hard all my life. I am 46 not 16 and daddy just bought me a new toy. This toy has been a long time coming for me and I baby it. Still have 4 and 1/2 years to pay on it. If I was told my car was clocked doing over 100 miles per hour and was on it's way to be impounded I would be throughly PISSED OFF!!!!!
So as you see everyone in this forum has a different relationship with his or her Z. Mine is probably pampered more than most. I want it to last a long time.

Just my opinion,
Sorry for the rambling,
I stand corrected "Towed to the Dealer NOT Impounded"
Old 11-06-2003, 11:55 AM
cedusett

I have to agree Bonz on the lawyer thing. Too many people are screaming "take him to court!" (and probably only because they haven't thought about the actual ramifications of doing so because it's not their own cars). But I must say the story about the dealer razor blading someone's hood is a little extreme. Some cases are meant for court if you know what I mean.

That being said, some dealers are definate a** holes... When I bought my new Z (i'm only 24) the dealer definately tried to take advantage of my age by adding an extra 100 bucks to my monthly payment in the form of an extended warranty that he hadn't mentioned in the deal. he only admitted to it after I called him on his numbers and TOLD him he wasn't getting $36000 for a $30000 car.

As for THIS dealer, sure what they did was irresponsible to say the least; but giving away a new Touring for one with 10K miles on it is a pretty tough break to have to take. As for the NAV, I don't blame them for not giving it to you. Sure it would have been a sign of incredible goodwill but judging by your previous posts, they have little chance of saving YOUR business anyway, so why bother.

I think you should have taken the new car at the drop of a hat, though I can understand the RAGE clouding your vision at the time. I definately feel for you.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:01 PM
marhot

Default cedusett, allow me to disagree...

“…but giving away a new Touring for one with 10K miles on it is a pretty tough break to have to take. As for the NAV, I don't blame them for not giving it to you. Sure it would have been a sign of incredible goodwill but judging by your previous posts, they have little chance of saving YOUR business anyway, so why bother.”

Sorry, but charging for the NAV just shows the GREED & INCOMPETENCE of dealerships. (See Stinger1 's prior post) Giving the “free” NAV just makes good business sense (which they obviously lack). Just think of the goodwill it would have produced and free advertisement. If they had made the situation right for MSCHOEN2U he would tell his friends, family, etc. Think of of the “goodwill” it would have produced. If I had been in a situation like this and the dealer made it right or even better (i.e. free NAV) I guarantee you he’d have my future business. I’d tell all my friends (and post it on the internet) about what a great dealership this is and how great they treated me and made a bad situation good. They would more than make up the $1,900 it “cost” him.

No this dealership is taking a very short-sighted approach to this situation. This is a very bad business practice. They deserve what’s coming to them.

I agree with you and Dr Bonz. I dislike people who cry hire an attorney and cry lawsuit at the smallest offense. But in some situations it is necessary. IMHO this is one.

Peace.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:31 PM
Stinger1

Default Re: Great posts, Stinger1

Originally posted by marhot
But your 2nd was right on the money. It just comes down to GREED on the part of the dealership.

The money quote:
“You have to take into consideration that this dealership has already made more than the cost of a Nav system on the sale of the first car. Even if they had given him the car with the Nav system their still ahead. They take his car and put it on the used lot and could sell it without taking a loss. Comes back to greed. Can't stand to break even. Got to show a profit no matter what. They should turn back flips to please this customer.”

That, people, is the bottom line of this whole thread. That is why many of us are advising MSCHOEN2U to get an attorney. What the dealership did is unconscionable; they should be taking care of the customer, not ALWAYS trying to find a way in ALL situations to try to screw them.

I do disagree with you on one point, not ALL dealerships are bad, maybe 95%, but not all. I’ve found a couple that treated me fair.

Again, great post Stinger1

Peace
Ok, Ok, I stand corrected again. Only 95% of dealers are scum. I can live with that!

Quick Reply: Beware Of Your Dealer