Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Beware Of Your Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 04:10 PM
Lee3Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is thank god it wasn't my dealership Sldell Nissan. They have been fair with me and have treated me as a valued customer.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:10 PM
CelticPride2

Default Re: cedusett, allow me to disagree...

Originally posted by marhot
Sorry, but charging for the NAV just shows the GREED & INCOMPETENCE of dealerships. (See Stinger1 's prior post) Giving the “free” NAV just makes good business sense (which they obviously lack). Just think of the goodwill it would have produced and free advertisement. If they had made the situation right for MSCHOEN2U he would tell his friends, family, etc. Think of of the “goodwill” it would have produced. If I had been in a situation like this and the dealer made it right or even better (i.e. free NAV) I guarantee you he’d have my future business. I’d tell all my friends (and post it on the internet) about what a great dealership this is and how great they treated me and made a bad situation good. They would more than make up the $1,900 it “cost” him.
Well put, marhot...I'm in business school working on my MBA right now, and one of the first things they teach you is that it's much cheaper for firms to retain existing customers that it is to acquire new ones. Had this dealership done that, it probably would've saved themselves a lot of money in the long run. Not to mention additional profits that would've been acquired from repeat business...

The word-of-mouth factor is very important too...studies show that when a customer has a great experience, they tell approximately 3-5 people about it....on the other hand, customers tell approximately 12 people about it when they receive bad service. And now that we have the internet, I'm sure it's even more than that.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:47 AM
cedusett

one of the first things they teach you is that it's much cheaper for firms to retain existing customers that it is to acquire new ones.
I don't disagree that saving your existing customers should be priority #1, but I don't think that was an option in this case. Would you take your car back there after what they did, only because they gave you a free NAV? I sure as hell wouldn't. I would be surprised if they see MSCHOEN2U's business again, NAV or not.

The word-of-mouth factor is very important too...studies show that when a customer has a great experience, they tell approximately 3-5 people about it....
Yes word of mouth is good, but think about how good this would sound coming out of my mouth:
"This dealer is sooooo great! They took my car, were completely out of control, reckless, and irresponsible with it, and then got thrown in jail for doing so! I'm ok with it though because I got a free NAV when they got caught! These guys are great!". (not much of a 'great' experience)

And that doesn't even mention the few shoddy jobs they did BEFORE that. There is no possible way they can come out of this looking good. You gotta wonder how many times they DIDN'T get caught. Maybe you'll get a free NAV; or maybe they won't get caught and your car will get progressively worse (like MSCHOEN2U's did).

Just my $.02
Old 11-07-2003, 12:50 PM
CelticPride2

At this point, it's obviously too late for this dealership to save the business...all I'm saying is that this would've been a good gesture on the dealer's part. Chances are they wouldn't have saved this customer anyway, but it couldn't have hurt them to try.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:11 PM
marhot

Originally posted by cedusett
Yes word of mouth is good, but think about how good this would sound coming out of my mouth:
"This dealer is sooooo great! They took my car, were completely out of control, reckless, and irresponsible with it, and then got thrown in jail for doing so! I'm ok with it though because I got a free NAV when they got caught! These guys are great!". (not much of a 'great' experience)

And that doesn't even mention the few shoddy jobs they did BEFORE that. There is no possible way they can come out of this looking good. You gotta wonder how many times they DIDN'T get caught. Maybe you'll get a free NAV; or maybe they won't get caught and your car will get progressively worse (like MSCHOEN2U's did).
This is my take.

If the dealership took care of the problem, i.e. fired the mechanic and gave me a “better”, new car, then I would be happy. And spread the good word. (But, in this case, seems they don’t want to do the right thing. Also, I would be interested to see if they fire the mechanic)

If they would make the deal right this is what I’ll say:
“The dealer is great. Some mechanic there took my car for a joy ride, he got thrown in jail, and the dealership fired his a$$. They were so apologetic, they kept my car, gave me a new Z. It was a better model and even had more options than my old one. If they screw up, they'll make it right”

The difference is in my scenario the dealer took my side and made it better. In MSCHOEN2U’s situation the dealer took an adversarial position, covering for their incompetent employee, and still trying to make a buck off of MSCOEN2U.

This situation did/does not have to have ended badly. But the ball is in the dealerships’ court. They can make it good or make it bad. Seems their choice is obvious.

Peace
Old 11-07-2003, 02:20 PM
MSCHOEN2U

CONCLUSION TO BEWARE OF YOUR DEALER

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their support, advise and comments. For legal and professional purposes, I have purposely not answered or posted any comments regarding my experience with Eddie Tourelle and his Nissan Dealership in Covington, Louisiana that occurred on Oct. 8, 2003.

In the past few weeks, I have had dealings with the General Manager and Salesman with the dealership. I was offered a new 2003 350Z to replace mine that had 9200 miles on it. I did, in fact, accept the auto but many fellow Z members thought I turned the offer down.

Today Nov 7, 2003, I had the opportunity to meet with Mr. Eddie Tourelle at his Nissan Dealership. Mr. Tourelle apologized for the long over-due time that it took for us to finally meet and resolve all issues. I was appreciative of that. He seemed quite sincere.

In my case, there are four sides to my story; the Truth, The Salesman, My side and the legal aspect. Mr. Tourelle heard the salesman's and the mechanic's side of the story first, then he heard his attorney's side of the story. Today, Mr. Tourelle heard my side of the story and with the documentation and facts that were presented to him, we were able to resolve all issues in a very professional and amicable way.

I must admit that this past month has been a very trying time. I am fortunate to have flexible hours with my occupation, so that I was able to deal with the car issue, and as we all know that in the near future, I will probably have to have the Bose Fix, Tire Feathering, Pulling to the right, rattles in the dash, 10 coats of Zaino, and lets not forget the famous Popping Sound repaired and we all know that this means time in the shop.

Today, I observed that Mr. Tourelle is a very dedicated owner and businessman, who displays compassion, understanding and goodwill for the people he serves. Unfortunately, I did not deal with Mr. Tourelle a month ago, however, some good did come from my experience, I learned that his salesman, being a true salesman, did not have my best interest in mind, when trying to rectify the problem. Perhaps, he comes from a different thread in life.

Nevertheless, The out come of my situation and statement " Beware of your dealer" should be changed to, "Get to know your Dealer". I am glad I did, and I hope that some of you could learn by my experience. I fully intend to do business, as well as recommend Eddie Tourelle Northpark Nissan in Covington, Louisiana.

Again Thanks
Old 11-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Stinger1

This is my take.

If the dealership took care of the problem, i.e. fired the mechanic and gave me a “better”, new car, then I would be happy. And spread the good word. (But, in this case, seems they don’t want to do the right thing. Also, I would be interested to see if they fire the mechanic)

If they would make the deal right this is what I’ll say:
“The dealer is great. Some mechanic there took my car for a joy ride, he got thrown in jail, and the dealership fired his a$$. They were so apologetic, they kept my car, gave me a new Z. It was a better model and even had more options than my old one. If they screw up, they'll make it right”

The difference is in my scenario the dealer took my side and made it better. In MSCHOEN2U’s situation the dealer took an adversarial position, covering for their incompetent employee, and still trying to make a buck off of MSCOEN2U.

This situation did/does not have to have ended badly. But the ball is in the dealerships’ court. They can make it good or make it bad. Seems their choice is obvious.

Peace
Exactly
Old 11-07-2003, 05:22 PM
marhot

Default Wow, what a story...

I'm glad to hear your problem was resolved to your satisfaction.
I’m glad to hear you were able to get a new Z out of the situation.
I’m glad to hear the owner did what’s right. Most owners/businessmen aren’t stupid or they wouldn’t be in the position they are. As usual, it wasn’t the owner screwing you, it was an underling (GM/Salesman) who do not have a stake in the dealership and probably won’t even be there next year this time.

You’ve reinforced my prior thought:
… If they had made the situation right for MSCHOEN2U he would tell his friends, family, etc. Think of of the “goodwill” it would have produced. If I had been in a situation like this and the dealer made it right or even better (i.e. free NAV) I guarantee you he’d have my future business. I’d tell all my friends (and post it on the internet) about what a great dealership this is and how great they treated me and made a bad situation good. They would more than make up the $1,900 it “cost” him.
Mr. Tourelle sounds like a smart businessman.
I'm glad to hear:
Nevertheless, The out come of my situation and statement " Beware of your dealer" should be changed to, "Get to know your Dealer". I am glad I did, and I hope that some of you could learn by my experience. I fully intend to do business, as well as recommend Eddie Tourelle Northpark Nissan in Covington, Louisiana.
Thanks for the follow up. I guess “all's well that ends well”.

And now we know “ ….the rest of the story.”

PS what happen to the clown that drove off in your car & caused this mess?
Old 11-07-2003, 05:47 PM
MSCHOEN2U

Default Re: Wow, what a story...

I'm glad to hear your problem was resolved to your satisfaction.
I’m glad to hear you were able to get a new Z out of the situation.
I’m glad to hear the owner did what’s right. Most owners/businessmen aren’t stupid or they wouldn’t be in the position they are. As usual, it wasn’t the owner screwing you, it was an underling (GM/Salesman) who do not have a stake in the dealership and probably won’t even be there next year this time.

You’ve reinforced my prior thought:

Mr. Tourelle sounds like a smart businessman.
I'm glad to hear:

Thanks for the follow up. I guess “all's well that ends well”.

And now we know “ ….the rest of the story.”

PS what happen to the clown that drove off in your car & caused this mess?
Due to litigation, and the court date , the mechanics destiny will be determined at that time.