Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Beware Of Your Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 05:01 PM
MSCHOEN2U

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware Of Your Dealer

On Thursday, my Touring was scheduled to be back at the dealer for the 5th time for rim repairs THAT THEY DAMAGED, popping sounds that keep getting worse THAT THEY CAUSED, paint scratches & gouges on the front & rear bumper THAT THEY CAUSED, not to mention the squeaks THAT THEY MADE WORSE each time the car went in the shop. It was beginning to sound like a klunker. With all the above, I decided to put the car in the shop on Tuesday, knowing that they were going to paint the bumpers today. Here's where it gets good. At 9:30 am this morning, Thursday, my wife came to me and said "you better take this call". I came in from outside to find the voice on the other end of the phone was the Sheriff's Office, telling me that my car was clocked at 109 mph in a 55 mph dangerous two-lane highway. The driver was stopped more than 9 miles from the dealership. The officer informed me that the driver of the vehicle (employee of the Nissan dealership) was test-driving the automobile and that he is now in jail and your car is enroute via tow truck to the dealership. I thought this was a joke. When I realized this was no joke, I called the dealership and asked for the owner. I ended up talking to the General manager. I told him that I was aware of what happened to my car and the officer told me to ask the dealership what TV Station did he want me to notify. My wife and I immediately drove over to the dealership. I walked up to the service manager who took in my car on Tues. and asked him if my car was ready, and I am here to pick it up. Knowing what happened to my car he said "let me go see" and walked away. Several people came to me and brought me inside to the general manager. The general manager told me to go out and pick out a new Z350 Touring. It didn't matter to him what color. My wife wanted the same color, chrome silver. So we walked up to one. The dealer insisted I drive it. I said "I don't need to, I know what it drives like." He gave me a line and insisted again. We drove it. We parked it, and went inside and said I'll take it. It had 55 miles on it. My car had 9,200. The new car had a navigational system. Mine did not. The sales man still proceeded to do all the paperwork and even commented that the paper work was so much easier since I had paid cash for my car.
The sales man kept leaving the room for an excessive amount of time. When he finally came back, he asked for $1900 for the navigational system. I told him I wasn't going to pay it. He should leave it in for all the inconvenience and extras that I had paid to have put on my car. He refused. From the there the general manager took over. The general manager wants $1900. I told him to take out the navigational system. I said do I have to get an attorney. He said you can have your attorney call me. We agreed that it may take him 5 days to locate a car identical to mine. In the meantime, I am driving a lousy loaner. Also, I must add that every time my car was in the service dept., the service managers would never close out a work order. The reason being is that they don't want Nissan being notified because Nissan will notify me. I also brought this to the general manager's attention and his comment was "I don't know anything about that." I know this is lengthy, but I never thought I would be here writing this, as I sit here without a 350Z to drive, and next time, my car goes in the shop, it will be documented; mileage, time, and work on both sides to protect the consumer and the dealership. Bottom line, every time my car left the dealer, it was in worse shape and they are aware of it. Maybe their joy ride took its toll.
I have not named the dealership, however, anyone who knows the area knows the dealership. This could be good advertising for the dealer or this may be the dealers worst nightmare. I will definitely follow up w/ this. Two newspapers and two television stations have already been notified, but do not have the complete story yet, I guess it depends on how fast the dealer rectifies the problem. He already lost points by letting us walk out w/out a car and lost more points when he did not call me as he promised he would call me this evening.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:15 PM
Dissident

And here I thought you were gonna get hooked up with a new car and free Nav. My dealer give me paperwork with the mileage when I drop the car off, and another sheet with the mileage when I get it back, both of which I check.

Good luck with that; I wouldn't mind the inconvinience of going a few days without a Z to go frm one with a bunch of miles to a new one (unless I'd already done a ton of mods)
Old 10-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Turcoupe

Wow, to think I almost took a swing at my dealrship's sales manager when I picked up my new Z, becasue of the front lincense plate dimples that come that way from the factory.... (which I didn't know at the time). You are a bigger man than I for not going ape sh*t on that GM, but that wouuld have not gotten you anywhere. From what it sounds like, you are defintely coming out on top from this whole experience. You put 9,000 miles on a Z and now are getting a brand new one for no cost to you. Isn't there another Nissan dealer wioth a service dept. within an hour drive from you? If so, I would just take my new Z to a local shop that I trusted for oil changes, tire replacement, etc. and make the longer drive to the other NIssan service dept. for major stuff and warranty claims.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Butterfly20

Wow, I'm sorry this happened to you. Sounds like a movie or maybe just my worst nightmare.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:53 PM
jj1814

daaaaamn, this sucks I hope they get everything that's coming to them
Old 10-09-2003, 05:58 PM
marhot

Default Unbelievable...

You need to see your attorney as soon as possible and don’t talk to the dealership any more. Let your attorney do your talking. I guarantee you, this case will just make his day!

And, congratulations, in advance, on your new Z and extra CASH.

P.S. A new free roadster would sound pretty nice to me!

Peace

P.S.S. Your attorney will probably get a Porsche out of this case!
Old 10-09-2003, 06:31 PM
TZUNAMI

Holy Crap, thats unfreakingbelievable!

Definitely have an attourney handly this one. You should get a lot more than a New Z. Of course, in the process, you will lose the right to take his *** to task on TV and in the papers, but it will be worth it.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:39 PM
exa4driver

That makes me sick to my stomach. You spend your hard earned money to buy a nice car, and this is how these chumps treat you!! Good luck with the legal process my friend. My wife is an attorney and I had her read the post. There is no doubt that EVERYTHING will go your way
Old 10-09-2003, 06:46 PM
jedoublery

Hey, I don't think Marhot and Tzunami are being sarcastic, you should get a lawyer, the dealer really messed up and you should get a lot more than the SAME car.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:02 PM
marhot

Default Exactly correct...

Originally posted by jedoublery
Hey, I don't think Marhot and Tzunami are being sarcastic, you should get a lawyer, the dealer really messed up and you should get a lot more than the SAME car.
Yes sir, I am dead serious. Attorneys dream for cases like this. This sir, is a slam dunk.

I just wish someone at my dealership would pull I stunt like that. I’d love to have a new, free Z.

PS Be sure to keep us posted on your ordeal.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:15 PM
exa4driver

Make sure to get an attorney who will take the case on a "contigency" basis. They'll really stick it to them if they can get more out of a setllement rather than a flat fee.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:34 PM
mpfstew

HA HA. I know that dealership, my parents live in Slidell, La. When I first got my Z, I told my dad to go over and check it out. So he drove one at both north shore dealerships. If I'm thinking about this correctly, the salesman at your dealership took my dad for a 'joy' ride, and proceeded to break about 10 moving traffic laws in 5 minutes. Said the guy was the biggest ***** he had ever met.

Monkey see, monkey do...
Old 10-09-2003, 08:36 PM
jreiter

MSCHOEN2U, keep us updated on the outcome. I'm going to subscribe to this thread so I can see how it turns out. I sincerely hope everything works out for the best.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:14 AM
BoostTed

Originally posted by jreiter
MSCHOEN2U, keep us updated on the outcome. I'm going to subscribe to this thread so I can see how it turns out. I sincerely hope everything works out for the best.
Joe what the hell are u doing here? Thinking of crossing over? More A4 and ex-A4 owners here than i thought
Old 10-10-2003, 02:16 AM
Blue04

What happened to the car? Did you see it afterwards? Did the guy wreck it? If he did, got any pics?

Just wondering. I mean, they get caught beating the **** out of your car and you get a new one? If they didn't wreck it would you have to prove there was some damage done to if you were to sue them? I could see them saying in court that the car wasn't harmed and they just need to give it back...

Just playing devils advocate, sucks about the car, give em' hell!
Old 10-10-2003, 04:48 AM
My_Tampa_Z

What I cannot believe is the way the GM told you to go pick out a new touring and then dicked you on the Nav. That is so incredibly greedy.....I mean, he could have basically made his problem go away but got greedy. I have had my car in the shop now for 4 straight days and I am starting to worry. What a-holes these dealers can be.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:20 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The other side of the story

I am not flaming anyone, but I want to point out the other side to counter all these people screaming "get a lawyer".

[ I am assuming the car was not wrecked since you did not mention any wreck ]

If these bozos didn't wreck the car then I would snap up the replacement offer ASAP.

If it goes to court, you could walk out of court getting LESS than has already been offered to you. Once the dealer is forced to pay a lawyer, he is going to push back as hard as possible.

If this went to court and I was representing the dealership, I would tell the judge that

1) the car was not damaged (ie no wreck)
2) It is designed to go that fast
3) I will have the mechanics go over the car to be sure it is ok.
4) I will offer a free extended warranty "just in case" there is hidden damage

I think it is fair that he asked you to cover the price of the NAV. Replacing the car is already costing him a lot of money and there is really no reason it should include free upgrades.

If it was me (not a flame, just an opinion) I would either
A) Take the car with the nav and pay the $1900
OR
B) Wait for him to find a replacement car with no NAV.

If you have a lot of mods on the car they messed with you can always pull em off and move them to the new car. The new car will have all the OEM parts you need to put back on the old car.

I feel your pain. I would be pissed to. But if you go to court you may get LESS than if you snap up their fair offer.

Just my $0.02
Old 10-10-2003, 07:41 AM
jgraeb01

AndyB brings up some good points; however, there are a few issues here I can think of:

Firstly, yes, the car was "designed" to go that fast ... but can it be construed as neglience that the service department took the car to that speed? Remember, he was stopped 9 (?) miles away from the Dealership?

Also, this car has apparently come back worse for wear every time it goes to the dealership ... maybe this has happened before and only this time did they get caught.

As far as the NAV option, I think the GM should have just let it go really. Everyone keeps talking $1900, but the NAV doesn't cost the dealer that much. He should have at least been willing to give it to you at his cost, or split the difference with you.

The dealer is losing money, yes, but how much? He's probably going to re-sell your car for a premium, plus all the money they made over MSRP on previous new vehicles. If the GM was smart, he'd have dealt with you on the NAV to get you happy _NOW_ and make the problem go away.

Let's face it, consumers rarely trust car dealers as it is -- even the 'good' ones. This is not the kind of publicity any car dealership wants. If this makes it to the media (and those 'shame-on-you' guys love this kinda stuff), the dealership stands to lose a lot more than a few thousand $$. Would you buy a car from them knowing it was probably 'test driven' this way? Would you take your car in for service there? Probably Not if this was brought out with the spin only a 'shame-on-you' reporter can produce.

Just my pennies. If I were the GM, I'd have called the owner, said we have an issue, and we should be firm on the NAV ... BUT ... if the buyer doesn't go for it, deal with them on the NAV. Don't let them walk for another $1200 that it's going to cost. It just doesn't make sense. If you walk, and are now without *your* car, you're even more perturbed, etc.

Besides, if they'd have given you the NAV, would you probably shop there again and recommend them because of their great customer service? Probably ... the argument then is it was just 'one bad seed' in service who's been taken care of.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:50 AM
cincyspider

firstly?
Old 10-10-2003, 10:19 AM
longbowe

Man, I can't believe a dealership is willing to sacrifice future income (based on a happy, satisfied customer) for the chance to make a little money now.

Quick Reply: Beware Of Your Dealer