2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What have you done for your Z today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 03:35 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
Just bought the Z1 Motorsport Prothane differential bushing kit (front and rear) plus the rear bushing removal tool (since I hate drama when it comes to removing pressed parts.) I noticed last night that the factory rear differential bushing is kaput. I also grabbed some new OEM rear sway bar rubber bushings while I was at it just to keep the whole sway bar setup fresh. Based on the type of wear I'm seeing, I get the distinct impression that city driving up and down big hills is not something this car plays nice with.
We know your by the book...

So dont forget to order new hardware for your axles and driveshaft... (Nissan recommends replacing)

Also a 14mm offset wrench is helpful. (Wish I had one)
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 03:41 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

dboyz, have u done ur rear diff bush?
Old 10-24-2017, 04:06 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
We know your by the book...

So dont forget to order new hardware for your axles and driveshaft... (Nissan recommends replacing)

Also a 14mm offset wrench is helpful. (Wish I had one)
lol. Already done. I have a huge collection of stock nuts, bolts, clips, straps, etc. I was kind of hoping I could just drop the differential with a transmission jack after removing the axles and the three bolts holding it up and do the bushing swap under the car without removing the differential from the drive shaft, but if I need to change out the bolts, I'll go ahead and do that as well. I have a bunch of extra bolts for the axles and more axle nuts than I probably need.

And yes, I have about 10 kinds of every wrench you can think of. I was actually glad that I had the long reverse ratcheting box wrench set
when I did the end links since they made it a lot easier to get to the bolts in that small area under the car, which was sitting on 9" ramps so the suspension was unladen.

I really should start a tool thread one of these days. I hang out a lot at garagejournal.com along with all the other tool hoarders.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:29 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by Bak3rme
dboyz, have u done ur rear diff bush?
Yeah I replaced them when I changed out the subframe bushings, im sure I posted it on here when I did because it was so fun.

Ps this rain is ********

Last edited by dboyzalter; 10-24-2017 at 06:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dboyzalter:
BluestreamDE (10-24-2017), zakmartin (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:42 AM
Bak3rme

autocrossing Z past weekend. There is a recent thread here about sway bar adjustments that was really helpful after I ran the event. Going to take some tips and adjust sways accordingly for the next event. Lots of understeer in this car for me.

Edit**
Dboyz I was hoping you had the tool! and yes this rain is dreary. I feel like rain is 10x worst in the city because now drivers during rush hour are going 10mph slower than usual.

Last edited by Bak3rme; 10-25-2017 at 05:44 AM.
SonnyWu (10-27-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 08:55 AM
The Swede

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SPM350Z
Yeaaahhh...that sounds like WAY to much work for my lazy ***. I think Ima stick with my what I did a few years ago with just restitching the leather cover.

Thanks both of you though for the instructions.

Shawn

Honestly it was one of the easiest things I've ever done to a car. It took 15 minutes tops from start to finish. My wheel came off as soon as I loosened the center nut. What took the most time was figuring out the airbag connector without breaking it.

What you need tool wise is a small flat screwdriver, a ratchet and basic extensions, T30 security torx, 19mm socket and a philips screwdriver.

What I did:
1: Disconnect the battery and then hold the brake pedal for 15 seconds.
2: Pop torx bolt covers off.
3: Take out the torx bolts holding the airbag in and pull out the airbag carefully.
4: Disconnect the airbag connectors (mine only had one, seen others have more) by first lifting up the black clip (with a small screwdriver or similar) then pulling the connector off.
5: Disconnect the grey connector (if you have one) and ground clip near the center.
6: Undo the 19mm center nut and take the wheel off
7: Move all the bits and bobs from your old wheel to your new wheel
8: Assembly is disassembly in reverse.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:59 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Dboyz I was hoping you had the tool! and yes this rain is dreary. I feel like rain is 10x worst in the city because now drivers during rush hour are going 10mph slower than usual.

I dont have zakmartin money like that, I just used harbor freight drill saw bit and a hack saw blade.

The subframe part wasn't my issue, getting them out of the differential was more difficult for me...

Pretty sure the dude down the street from me who has the lift got the tool from Z1, if you befriend him he will probably let you use his lift, and the tool.

Last edited by dboyzalter; 10-25-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:59 AM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by The Swede
Honestly it was one of the easiest things I've ever done to a car.
Where did you order the steering wheel from? I'm inclined to have a look at that myself. It looks like the wheel the car should have come with.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:49 AM
Bak3rme

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
I dont have zakmartin money like that, I just used harbor freight drill saw bit and a hack saw blade.

The subframe part wasn't my issue, getting them out of the differential was more difficult for me...

Pretty sure the dude down the street from me who has the lift got the tool from Z1, if you befriend him he will probably let you use his lift, and the tool.

i rather make things easy for me! is it the guy with the red Z? steven?
Old 10-25-2017, 01:10 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

i rather make things easy for me! is it the guy with the red Z? steven?
Yeah Steve got it I think... I used these, worked ok but I did break them all.

All these people talking about steering wheel removal just cost me $8

Last edited by dboyzalter; 10-25-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:29 PM
zakmartin

If you pay to have the tool shipped out to you and return it in one piece, I'd be happy to loan it out when I'm through with it. I'm probably going to do the bushing swap over the Veteran's Day weekend.

I was thinking about going at it with a pneumatic reciprocating saw and an air hammer, but figured the less time I need to spend under the car, the sooner I could get back to visiting all my wives on Fallout 4.

And for what it's worth, I'm not beneath going to Harbor Freight. I buy all my gloves and rags from there and have more "free" coupon-purchased Chinese multimeters and fluid pumps than I know what to do with.
Bak3rme (03-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:20 PM
Bak3rme

If you pay to have the tool shipped out to you and return it in one piece, I'd be happy to loan it out when I'm through with it. I'm probably going to do the bushing swap over the Veteran's Day weekend.

I was thinking about going at it with a pneumatic reciprocating saw and an air hammer, but figured the less time I need to spend under the car, the sooner I could get back to visiting all my wives on Fallout 4.

And for what it's worth, I'm not beneath going to Harbor Freight. I buy all my gloves and rags from there and have more "free" coupon-purchased Chinese multimeters and fluid pumps than I know what to do with.
zak! that would be nice. Could you document it and do a write up as well? could help the people of this forum who might need it one day. (if its not up already). I just want to see the amount of time it takes.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:25 PM
BradMD_96

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Swede
Honestly it was one of the easiest things I've ever done to a car. It took 15 minutes tops from start to finish. My wheel came off as soon as I loosened the center nut. What took the most time was figuring out the airbag connector without breaking it.

What you need tool wise is a small flat screwdriver, a ratchet and basic extensions, T30 security torx, 19mm socket and a philips screwdriver.

What I did:
1: Disconnect the battery and then hold the brake pedal for 15 seconds.
2: Pop torx bolt covers off.
3: Take out the torx bolts holding the airbag in and pull out the airbag carefully.
4: Disconnect the airbag connectors (mine only had one, seen others have more) by first lifting up the black clip (with a small screwdriver or similar) then pulling the connector off.
5: Disconnect the grey connector (if you have one) and ground clip near the center.
6: Undo the 19mm center nut and take the wheel off
7: Move all the bits and bobs from your old wheel to your new wheel
8: Assembly is disassembly in reverse.
+1 on that, changing out the steering wheel is way easier than stitching back new leather.
I recently swapped in a lightly used steering wheel on my G35.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:24 AM
The Swede

Where did you order the steering wheel from? I'm inclined to have a look at that myself. It looks like the wheel the car should have come with.
Straight from VQVortex at https://www.vqvortex.com/
I chose from the drop down menus on their website but if you ask them you can get pretty much anything you like, color, material and design wise.

I agree, it looks and feels like it should've been on the car from Nissan. Goes perfectly with my theme for my car, "oem+".

Last edited by The Swede; 10-26-2017 at 03:37 AM.
zakmartin (10-27-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 08:53 AM
The Swede

Mmmm car santa just dropped off a brand new TDX2.
Install now before winter or save it from a couple months of road salt?
Old 10-26-2017, 09:13 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

now of course.... remember tighten it up starting from the front, working back
Old 10-27-2017, 08:36 AM
zakmartin

zak! that would be nice. Could you document it and do a write up as well? could help the people of this forum who might need it one day. (if its not up already). I just want to see the amount of time it takes.
I'll see if I can get my wife to hang out with me in the garage when I do that part of the job to take photos. I don't want to goop up the camera with my greasy hands, but if she's willing to get under the car and handle the camera, then sure, why not?
Old 10-28-2017, 02:53 PM
Bak3rme

jhc, your car is like mine except its a vert. same wheels brakes and color paint
Old 10-29-2017, 03:47 PM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I'v been busy this week. Installed a Seibon TS HR hood(which solved clearance issues), aerocatch hoodpins, nrg CF hood dampers, corbeau fx1 seat&harness, planted seat bracket, hydrodipped center console, installed cruise control switches/laser etched surrounding, paint matched the z1 hatch struts, and gauge cluster is with bob @ gaugecraft.

I need to get stainless hardware for the hoodpins as the bolts are already rusting and I have to clean everything up tomorrow as well as take off a few more parts to be hydrodipped. Some Pics~
Attached Thumbnails What have you done for your Z today?-g2.jpg   What have you done for your Z today?-g6.jpg   What have you done for your Z today?-g9.jpg   What have you done for your Z today?-g7.jpg  
KingBaby (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 10:09 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

jhc, your car is like mine except its a vert. same wheels brakes and color paint
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do! Took Best Z33 this year at ZDAYZ. I added ChargeSpeed diffuser since this pic, need to get the cf skirts wrapped and installed.

The following 2 users liked this post by jhc:
BigBlue (10-30-2017), zakmartin (10-31-2017)

Quick Reply: What have you done for your Z today?