Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Traded my 2004 350Z after just one week!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 01:05 PM
EL Diablo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traded my 2004 350Z after just one week!

Here is my story, just moved to LA a few weeks ago from NYC. Never have I seen traffic like this in my life. wanted a Z 6MT but the dealer only had 5AT's in stock. test drove it and it felt nice. Always drove a stick but thought an auto in LA might be kinda nice in the heavy traffic, besides it's TipTronic and I could always control my shifts, right? I wanted it so bad. so I bought a black touring 5AT. Man did I regret that decision in a big way. that very night and everynight after I regreted not getting the 6MT. I tried to believe the 5AT could do it for me. I'd tap the tip tronic up and down. trying to convince myself the 5AT was a better for me than a 6MT. after all what choice did I have? I already bought it. after a 100mile drive up the pacific coast highway I had enough! I called my dealer and told him my story. He said I could trade the 5AT for a 6MT but it would cost me. He seemed happy about that. So I visited the happy dealer and there it was. A brand new shiney silver 2004 TRACK with my name on it. hmmmm I needed it! actually it called to me. it said "Diablo I am the Demon inside of you, take me home and I will show you the way!" so what I did next was right up there with the druken night I dropped a few grand in vegas, I traded my one week old 2004 Black 5AT for the TRACK. I lost only 500 in the trade but I had to pay all the tax and reg fees all over again plus the difference in price between the 5AT Touring and the TRACK. DAMN! sometimes we learn the hard way. I wont go into the 5AT Vs. the 6MT too much but I will say they are both awsome cars. Anyone who owns one is lucky. saying that, the 2 cars are night and day different. besides the obvious difference of having a clutch and shifting the power in the 6MT was much more aparent than the 5AT. The 5AT is a pleasure to cruise around in and fun to drive, but The 6AT is a beast from hell. holy crap. I couldnt believe it. So now I have my Demon and I am happy! Life is good! so the moral of the story is: you can always change your mind if you put your money on the line.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:34 PM
Paul55100

Too bad about losing all that money, but at least you got what you wanted. The only AT I would get is the SMG (BMW) or the Ferrari F1 (although they're not really an AT). Anyway, good luck with the car.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Dissolved

glad to see you got it ironed out. No point being unhappy
Old 10-13-2003, 02:08 PM
KONVERTER

well congrats on getting the track!

doesnt sound like you lost all that much $... could have been alot worse...

let me know next time you go to vegas

you a craps player? how do you set your dice?
Old 10-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Wedge

I have a Touring 6MT and live in Los Angeles as well. I specifically wanted the manual and personally have a thing about an automatic in a sports car.........I just wouldn't do it. Others see no issue with it and that is fine too.

I had an appointment about 70 miles south of my house, so I left my house at 6:30 AM............I got on the 5 south and the instant I got on the freeway, there was a traffic jam...........after one full hour of inching along, I had gone a grand total of 14 miles.

All in all, it took three full hours to go the 70 miles.......all of which were driven on ...errrr.....Freeways!

The point of the story is that this was the only time since owning the Z that I had wished it had been an automatic.

Traffic is a bear here................but the winters are warm, and for nine months of the year, ya never have to worry about getting rained on.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:18 PM
keiffer953

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your buy and keep Konverter away from Vegas LOL
Old 10-13-2003, 04:32 PM
Jason Bourne

Did you really find LA traffic to be that bad after NYC?

I live in NYC and spend a lot of time in LA and find the traffic to really be no worse in LA. Leaving Manhattan around 6pm on a friday night can easily consume 2-3 hours (for about 5 miles travelled). I always chalk up the LA traffic complaints as something that people do because they just haven't spent enough time in new york.

Along similar lines, it always makes me laugh when people in various cities (San Francisco, LA, Boston, etc...) complain about their cost of living and the fact that their two bedroom apartment's rent is $2,500 a month. I always wonder how they expect sympathy from someone who lives in Manhattan. For reference, my one bedroom apartment cost $650,000 to buy and I still pay $1300 a month to live there - this does not include mortgage payments. Renting my apartment would cost about $3,500-4,000 a month and would not include parking or membership in the building's gym.

Jason
Old 10-13-2003, 05:31 PM
Blue Liquid

Dear Jason,
I would now like to quit my job as a research scientist and go to work for you. Those kind of monthly payments would get me a huge house where I live and I'd gladly commute for a kings salary such as the one you are undoubtedly making. Heck, I might even be able to save enough money to attend some track days too. Please let me know where to send my resume and when I can start.

Thanks
-Gennaro
Old 10-13-2003, 05:40 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by Wedge

I had an appointment about 70 miles south of my house, so I left my house at 6:30 AM............I got on the 5 south and the instant I got on the freeway, there was a traffic jam...........after one full hour of inching along, I had gone a grand total of 14 miles.

14miles in one hour? omg.... I thought traffic in Houston was bad... but don't think we can top that....
Old 10-13-2003, 07:14 PM
EL Diablo

Did you really find LA traffic to be that bad after NYC?

I live in NYC and spend a lot of time in LA and find the traffic to really be no worse in LA. Leaving Manhattan around 6pm on a friday night can easily consume 2-3 hours (for about 5 miles travelled). I always chalk up the LA traffic complaints as something that people do because they just haven't spent enough time in new york.

yeah the traffic here is worse to me but I also lived in Manhattan and never drove. Maybe its that I am new here and don't know the short cuts like I did in NYC. I work 12 miles from my job and it's a 45min run. it is cheaper to live here. I paid a little more than double what I do now for a studio on 48th and 8th than I pay now for a one bedroom here in LA 2 blocks from the beach, and I have my DEMON Z.

KONVERTER If you can make it come to the socal meet on 10/25

Last edited by EL Diablo; 10-13-2003 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:43 PM
KONVERTER

El Diablo!

im hoping to be in town.. but my schedual changes so much so quick i dont know whats goin on tommorow...

but as of now.. IM THERE!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:50 PM
xtreme350z

Dude, I'm glad you noticed the mistake and corrected it promptly. I've been living with that same regret for 2 years now, and it still isn't right. Let me tell you- if you truly love manual shifting and sporty driving it would never be right. I came out of a 5 spd 95 GT Mustang 2yrs ago and bought a Blazer with auto thinking I was done blazing around, never was I so wrong.

I knew something was wrong from the day I took delivery. I kept it and decided to fix it up hoping I could make it what I wanted it to be. Now I've got about 2k invested into it and I'm totally upside done on my balance versus value and I just can't seem to get rid of it now.

Sorry for the sob story but I just wanted to let you in on what you would have been in for. Sure atleast you still had a 350z but being so close and not having a manual would be a whole different frustration all together.

Go with you gut instinct, it never lies!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:55 PM
mr2fasterthanyo

LA is like that. I think that even homeless people own cars there and all they do is drive alllllllllll daaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy long.

when i am out there for work i have to drive between manhattan beach and huntington beach (from right by LAX on rosecrans and supulveda (west basin-the power plant) to orange county sanitation district. bah
Old 10-13-2003, 07:57 PM
roark

Originally posted by xtreme350z
Dude, I'm glad you noticed the mistake and corrected it promptly. I've been living with that same regret for 2 years now, and it still isn't right. Let me tell you- if you truly love manual shifting and sporty driving it would never be right. I came out of a 5 spd 95 GT Mustang 2yrs ago and bought a Blazer with auto thinking I was done blazing around, never was I so wrong.

I knew something was wrong from the day I took delivery. I kept it and decided to fix it up hoping I could make it what I wanted it to be. Now I've got about 2k invested into it and I'm totally upside done on my balance versus value and I just can't seem to get rid of it now.

Sorry for the sob story but I just wanted to let you in on what you would have been in for. Sure atleast you still had a 350z but being so close and not having a manual would be a whole different frustration all together.

Go with you gut instinct, it never lies!
Are you talking about a car or a woman?

Roark
Old 10-13-2003, 09:02 PM
Splurt

Well, I have a remedy that will make the traffic not so bad. Just get urself a nice lil tv in that cubby and u really don't notice the hours flying by in traffic. I remember it taking me 3 hours to get to the Redlands to visit my buddy. But I really didn't notice the time flying, cuz i was sitting back watching the simpsons and king of the hill the whole time haha. Nothing good on tv? play some dvds!

Alvin
Old 10-14-2003, 10:45 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

The problem with LA's traffic is weird. It's not a bunch of people driving to work thats causing it.

A lot of people seem to be out driving around for no important reason. For example, I've noticed 200% more traffic on the freeways on nice days than on cold/rainy days.

Then theres the traffic caused by STUPID people. The ones that brake suddenly when the sun is in their eyes and they need to adjust their sun visor or Ms. soccor mom having a sip of starbucks coffee while talking on the phone and doing her makeup in the mirror, tapping the brake every 2.45 seconds
Old 10-14-2003, 11:48 AM
2Fishy4U

Seems to be a lot of comments regarding LA and New York traffic. Years ago (1970's) I worked in LA for Paramount Studios and the best thing I ever did was leave and move back to Minnesota.

Bottom line is I like the Z and driving it fast, and also do a lot of fishing and hunting. I also wonder why anyone would want to live in either of those cities. Please don't give me the usual BS about the arts and stuff because most rarely attend that stuff as evidenced by the support needed from numerous organizations to keep that stuff alive.

Anyway, why complain or even discuss traffic, just move.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Montez

Originally posted by zxsaint
The problem with LA's traffic is weird. It's not a bunch of people driving to work thats causing it.

A lot of people seem to be out driving around for no important reason. For example, I've noticed 200% more traffic on the freeways on nice days than on cold/rainy days.

Then theres the traffic caused by STUPID people. The ones that brake suddenly when the sun is in their eyes and they need to adjust their sun visor or Ms. soccor mom having a sip of starbucks coffee while talking on the phone and doing her makeup in the mirror, tapping the brake every 2.45 seconds
Your right and its no arguing that LA is the car and traffic champ. I used to Live in the LA area and the traffic was worse than NYC's(lived their for a year) especially the 405. Hell when a 12 lane wide freeway is crowded for miles it crowded and try the streets they are bad too. Many reports and studies prove LA has the most traffic and by far more cars than any other city in this country.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:36 PM
Montez

Originally posted by 2Fishy4U
Seems to be a lot of comments regarding LA and New York traffic. Years ago (1970's) I worked in LA for Paramount Studios and the best thing I ever did was leave and move back to Minnesota.

Bottom line is I like the Z and driving it fast, and also do a lot of fishing and hunting. I also wonder why anyone would want to live in either of those cities. Please don't give me the usual BS about the arts and stuff because most rarely attend that stuff as evidenced by the support needed from numerous organizations to keep that stuff alive.

Anyway, why complain or even discuss traffic, just move.
Well alot of people like to be in the "mix" and LA/NYC and Chicago is in the mix despite the bad traffic, plus I must admit you are never bored in either of those cities. One of the main reasons LA is so crowded is the weather, the LA/SD areas have the best weather in the country overall.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:53 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never been a fan of automatics in any car. Every car that I have ever had, with the exception of one, has been a stick shift. When I travel and have to get a rental is is usually an automatic. I get in the car and drive and I just feel like I am not doing enough when I am driving. That and the fact that the first thing that I try to do before I start the car is to try to press a clutch that isn't there. I just feel more like I am driving when I have both arms and legs involved in the drive.

Quick Reply: Traded my 2004 350Z after just one week!