Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else not fully engage clutch when shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 06:48 PM
ChadO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else not fully engage clutch when shifting?

Someone made a comment a while back in a thread about not fully engaging the clutch when shifting, but I don't remember the thread title, and I couldn't find anything in a search.

It was difficult for me to adjust to my Z as it was always difficult for me to transition from 1st to 2nd, and less so from 2nd to third. Lately I've been engaging the clutch only about 75%, and not only are my shifts smoother, I'm shifting faster (obviously).

Is there any harm in doing this? Does anyone else do the same?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:03 PM
SlamMan

As long as it isn't grinding your OK!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:12 PM
Enron Exec

Id would make sure what you are seeing in your shifting is absolutley correct by doing this test again after the tranny is warm. Cold transmission fluid is very viscous and causes the synchros to move slower and therefor we get a notch/grind feel shifting from 1st to 2nd.

I have switched my 6speed manual tranny fluid to Redline synthetic ( 2 quart MTL and 2 quarts MT90) and the shifting has improoved a bit. Redline says their oils have a higher coefficient of friction and a more stable viscosity over a wider range of tempertures, so in turn makes the synchrose react faster. I still have to let the tranny warm up a bit to get a near perfect smooth shift from 1st to 2nd gear, but that only takes like 2 - 5 minutes of driving i think.

I would recommend a slightly less viscous blend, like 3 quarts MTL and 1 quart MT 90 if you want super light and fast synchros for daily driving. I doubt there would be any or much more wear on the tranny if you dont race it every week.

Would other ppl who have changed their tranny fluids add their comments, im very curious about this because i plan to drop my extended warranty soon and "invest" in some type of FI within the next 6 months.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:08 AM
keiffer953

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I don't fully engage the clutch I know it's not good and it reminds me by grinding or making some other sound. When engaging the clutch all the way I get a nice smooth and quiet gear change. So make sure you engage the clutch all the way.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:13 AM
KONVERTER

i always push the clutch down to the floor... specially when shifting during regular driving...

high speed driving i cant tell what i do... all i know is i shift fast when sprinting...
Old 10-23-2003, 10:56 AM
NOZ4U

Would other ppl who have changed their tranny fluids add their comments, im very curious about this because i plan to drop my extended warranty soon and "invest" in some type of FI within the next 6 months.

I replaced my tranny fluid with Amsoil synthetic about 2 months ago to try and rid the 1st-2nd notch. It's still there until even after the car warms up. At times, I don't even want to shift into 2nd. Especially if I want to take off at a light, 1st-2nd is terrible.
Every other gear is fine....except for an occansional 5th grind.

10,885miles
Old 10-23-2003, 11:57 AM
Inova

when i shift, i let my foot off the clutch entirely by lifting it up in a fairly quick movement. there is no jerk because it is essentially feathering till it engages properly. dont hold the clutch too long between shifts or u will wear out ur clutch very quickly
Old 10-23-2003, 04:26 PM
Lee3Z

I rarely engage the clutch fully when shifting. Have been driving standard shift cars for the last 30 years and have never had any problems with the clutch or transmission. Along with my Z I drive a 1993 Mazda RX-7 TT. I shift it the same as my Z. The RX-7 has 110,000 miles on the clutch and transmission and both are original from when I purchased it new.