2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Small Incident

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:19 PM
hellsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Incident

Hey guys,

I have searched the forum related to the incident and question that i am going to ask, and could not get an actual answer. I saw an partly answered way, but wanted to make sure.. Then answer was "nothing will get reported to carfax unless u involve insurance.." I know it doesn't make any sense at this time, so keep reading .

About 2 months and 8 days later purchasing the car, and 3300 miles on the clock, i got rear ended while i was at a full stop at a stop sign.. This happened in South Jersey, on the entrance of 295 South bound Exit 31. Because of the construction that is happening in 295, they have stop signs in every exit. I have stopped at the stop sign, and waiting for road to clear up. There was a 2008 Mitsubishi Jeep was behind me, and all the sudden she floored and hit me [again, i was at a full stop waiting..]. Her defense was her daughter has gotten to an accident and she was trying to get to her. We have exchanged info's, and i have also called in a trooper for security policy. Trooper have gotten both of our information and told us that we can either handle it on our own, or report it as an accident. I have agreed that we would handle it. Trooper said that in case if she didn't pay, go to the police station and report it to me, and they would report it as accident and get the insurance involved.

The damage is minor. Rear bumper needs to be replaced. There are dents and cracks near the hit area, and of course paint marks. I am going to Nissan dealer to get a quote today, but i wanted to ask you guys two question.

1) Will this "incident" get into Carfax if i go to dealer (Woodbury Nissan)? I really do not want this reported since it could be understood many different ways later on.
2) even though i will be going to the dealer, do you guys have any recommended shops that i can also advise to? Since she is paying the damage i am leaned towards the dealer. I had done some research in the forums and heard about the VanMeter Auto Repair in Mantua,NJ. But wanted to hear from you guys.

Edit: hold your horses, i will post pics
Old 10-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Hexxus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Mitsubishi Jeep you say?
Old 10-24-2009, 12:36 PM
hellsy

i believe it was 2008 Mitsubishi Endeavor.. Okay not jeep, SUV
Old 10-24-2009, 12:52 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

as far as i know the insurance must be involved for it to show up on carfax. The insurance company will report accidents on the vin of that car, not the dealer.

The s10 i drove in high school had a clean carfax and when one of my friends backed into the side of it there was nothing but bodyfiller on it. It had been repaired before without it going on the insurance. suck
Old 10-24-2009, 01:53 PM
NateZ08

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i sure as hell hope it gets involved with carfax. that's the whole point that system is there. i wouldn't want to buy a used car without getting the whole story.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:52 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NateZ08
i sure as hell hope it gets involved with carfax. that's the whole point that system is there. i wouldn't want to buy a used car without getting the whole story.
^TRUTH!

Plus, it's clearly her fault. I don't know what terrible way it could be understood later on.
She hit you.
You got hit.
Unless you mean some sort of resale value problems, insurance is the way to go.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:31 PM
hellsy

Well i'm goin to take it to the Dealer..we will see what happens.

Well the only issue is the bumper, which is i believe is an easy fix. Just a new bumper.. The only thing i worry is that it is going to destroy the record as well as the value just because of a bumper replacement.. I agree with you guys related to CArfax, however it has many flaws in my opinion.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Adrians07Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

whats wrong with it going on carfax

you'll still be able to tell whether its on the carfax or not .. a painted bumper looks nothing like oem (or to me it doesn't, just gotta know what to look for)

and if it does go on the carfax you should get a check from insurance for the "depreciation" that the accident caused to the value of your car

Last edited by Adrians07Z; 10-24-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:49 PM
floydfan

First of all, don't take it to the dealer to be repaired. Dealer body shops usually don't have the best body shops. Take pictures of the damage and keep them with the estimate/final repair paperwork to show to a prospective buyer (when you sell the car). A prospective buyer will be able to see that the damage was minor/cosmetic and it shouldn't be an issue after that when it shows up on Carfax.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Adrians07Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by floydfan
First of all, don't take it to the dealer to be repaired. Dealer body shops usually don't have the best body shops. Take pictures of the damage and keep them with the estimate/final repair paperwork to show to a prospective buyer (when you sell the car). A prospective buyer will be able to see that the damage was minor/cosmetic and it shouldn't be an issue after that when it shows up on Carfax.

I don't know about that statement ..

I'm a painter at a Dodge dealership body shop

if anything a dealer body shop is the best choice .. has fast access to oem parts, techs have worked on that car before and know what there doing / how to take it apart, and the painter has a better chance at knowing if there are any problems or issues with the color on the car (needs to use a different variation, etc) therefore ending up with a good color match instead of a jigsaw paint job

Last edited by Adrians07Z; 10-24-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:20 PM
hellsy

if you guys have any recommended body shop in the south jersey area, i am all ears
Old 10-24-2009, 11:02 PM
zipgun

Originally Posted by hellsy
Okay not jeep, SUV
There's a difference between the 2?
Old 10-25-2009, 02:20 AM
Smile@9k

Showing up on CarFax will depend on the dealership. I have taken my Accords and S2000 to dealerships for routine maintenance and it shows up on carfax in detail...but not every time the cars went in.

If the officer reports it, you can bet it appears on carfax with police report number.

For your sake I hope this stays off CF. For the sake of CarFax being effective and the general public's trust in the system, I hope it goes on. CF is pretty good about downplaying minor incidents.

Good Luck to you!
Old 10-25-2009, 03:35 AM
hellsy

Originally Posted by Smile@9k
Showing up on CarFax will depend on the dealership. I have taken my Accords and S2000 to dealerships for routine maintenance and it shows up on carfax in detail...but not every time the cars went in.

If the officer reports it, you can bet it appears on carfax with police report number.

For your sake I hope this stays off CF. For the sake of CarFax being effective and the general public's trust in the system, I hope it goes on. CF is pretty good about downplaying minor incidents.

Good Luck to you!
Thank you.. Officer did not report it, there will be no insurance involvement. I will find it out Monday after work. Since i will be there in the early morning, hopefully it will not be crowded. I will take it to Dealer and hope for the best..

Last edited by hellsy; 10-25-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:16 AM
Bumble Z

the true bro thats one of the main things u look for when buying a car is carfax thats just messed up like u buying a car thats been trashed then touched up so it looks pretty but when u ride it a month later is a piece of shyt
Old 10-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

i thought it was police reports that make it show up on carfax. ive seen on some carfax that an accident was reported through 'south carolina state highway patrol'

hope you dont even try to sell your Z on here down the road claiming it is accident free and has a clean carfax, because this thread will come back real quick
Old 10-25-2009, 08:46 PM
hellsy

Originally Posted by Mike@Blackline
i thought it was police reports that make it show up on carfax. ive seen on some carfax that an accident was reported through 'south carolina state highway patrol'

hope you dont even try to sell your Z on here down the road claiming it is accident free and has a clean carfax, because this thread will come back real quick
hahaha.. i will keep this in mind..

I usually hang on to my cars for a good period of time, and i think Z will break the record
Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 AM
garytucker

Originally Posted by Adrians07Z
whats wrong with it going on carfax

you'll still be able to tell whether its on the carfax or not .. a painted bumper looks nothing like oem (or to me it doesn't, just gotta know what to look for)

and if it does go on the carfax you should get a check from insurance for the "depreciation" that the accident caused to the value of your car
You are better off to "own up" to the repaint and repair than to try and cover it up. The attention-paying buyer CAN spot a repaint...no matter how good it is or when it was done. My Trailblazer SS was bumped at 5,000 miles and I had to repaint the rear bumper. Most people couldn't tell it had been repainted (I had one of the best shops in town do the work), but I still disclosed the repaint when I sold the truck as I didn't want it to bite me in the *ss if someone found out I misrepresented my truck.

In this day and age of litigation, it is always better to disclose everything and live with the outcome. My repaint didn't lose me a dime on the resale value of the truck because I had the explanation and documentation of what happened. Take pictures of the damage to keep with you so you can show a future buyer just how little damage was there.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:49 AM
hellsy

You guys are right. It has been raining for the past 2 days non-stop. Once it stops, i am going to take pictures from all angles, print them and document them. I have already got the quote, and will probably fix it next monday-tuesday on my off days.

I appreciate all your inputs guys.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:51 AM
plusONETEN

all you guys that are saying that you hope it gets on the carfax because "otherwise its not fair to the next buyer blah-blah" are totally lame.

its no less unfair to the current owner that he got rear ended in an accident that wasnt even remotely his fault. her insurance may pay for the repairs, but it isnt going to pay for the depreciated resale value.

someones going to see the damage report on the carfax and panic, even though its not going to compromise the car in any way.

if its one of us car guys and we can tell that the bumper was repainted, the "car guy" shouldnt be worried about anything.

what i would do:
1.) take a picture of the damage now.
2.) when you sell the car, write "clean carfax report"
3a.) if someone buys the car and doesnt notice, then dont say anything. seriously, you are in no way screwing anyone over by giving them a car with a repainted bumper.
3b.) if someone notices the re-painted bumper while you're trying to sell it, or youre selling it to someone who seems like a car person who will notice, show them the damaged picture and explain to them exactly why you wanted the "clean carfax". they should be smart enough to know the difference between a bumper that gets replaced with a new bumper vs. dented rear fenders that get covered with bondo. they may even appreciate that when THEY sell the car, they too will be able to say 'clean carfax'

EDIT: you could try and see if they will replace the bumper skin with a 'used' one of the same color. depending on the condition of available bumpers of course. might not be too hard to find... in fact, I have a pristine '08 black bumper that i will be selling shortly

Last edited by plusONETEN; 10-27-2009 at 09:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Small Incident