Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Should we start a class action law suit with Nissan about Tire Feathering

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 07:38 AM
toykilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

perriz350: i hope that if you get your father involved that you would take it up a notch and help out all of us.

the problem shows up about 7000 miles. it is a gradual process. what to look for:

weird tread block wear on the inner front tires. loud roaring noises when slowing down around 30mph.

there is another thread on this topic that is over 50 pages long and over 1000 messages..
Old 10-15-2003, 07:43 AM
jj1814

Jon,

How much of a safety issue is it, though? I'm not saying that it is NOT a safety issue, but this is an honest question I dont know the answer to.

Per www.nhtsa.dot.gov

When Is a Recall Necessary?

When a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment (including tires) does not comply with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.

When there is a safety-related defect presentin the vehicle or equipment.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards set minimum performance levels for those parts of the vehicle which most effect its safe operation (brakes, tires, lighting) or which protect drivers and passengers from death or serious injury in the event of a crash (air bags, safety belts, child restraints, energy absorbing steering columns, motorcycle helmets) and are applicable to all vehicles and equipment manufactured for sale in the United States certified for use on public roads and highways.

What Is a Safety-Related Defect?

Generally, a safety-related defect is a problem that exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment which:

poses an unreasonable risk to safety, and

is common to a group of vehicles of the same design or manufacture, or items of equipment of the same type and manufacture.

Safety Defects Are Usually the Result of Inadequate Design or Manufacturing Error.

Examples Include:

Steering components that may break suddenly causing partial or complete loss of vehicle control.

Problems with fuel system components, particularly in their susceptibility to crash damage, that may result in leakage of fuel and possibly cause vehicle fires.

Improperly designed or constructed tires that may blow out unexpectedly.

Accelerator controls that may break or stick.

Wheels that may crack or break, resulting in loss of vehicle control.

Fuel system defects that can cause vehicle stalling or fires.

Engine cooling fan blades that may break unexpectedly causing injury to persons working on a vehicle.

Windshield wiper arms that may fall off in operation.

Seats and/or seat backs that fail unexpectedly during normal use.

Critical vehicle components that may break, fall apart, or separate from the vehicle causing loss of vehicle control, or injury to persons inside or outside the vehicle.

Wiring system problems that could result in a fire or loss of lighting.

Car ramps or jacks that collapse causing injury to people(s) working on a vehicle.

Air bags that deploy under conditions of which they are not designed to deploy.

Child safety seats that contain defective safety belts, buckles or components that create an unreasonable risk of injury not only in a vehicle crash but also in nonoperational safety of a motor vehicle.

Problems with Vehicles or Equipment Generally Not Considered to Be Safety-Related Defects Under Federal Law Include:

Air conditioners and radios that do not operate properly.

Ordinary wear of equipment that has to be inspected, maintained, and replaced periodically. Such equipment includes shock absorbers, batteries, brake pads and shoes, and exhaust systems.

Nonstructural or body panel rust.

Quality of paint or cosmetic blemishes.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:46 AM
JasonZ

Maybe its because of the negative camber? I remember reading somewhere that the Z comes with a slightly negative camber. If so, solving this problem for Nissan will be quite expensive.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:46 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Nissan should at least look into some sort of camber kit so as to aid in better alleviating the alignment/camber problem...
Old 10-15-2003, 08:47 AM
toykilla

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...0&summary=true

here you go.. this should be given to a lawyer and everyone with feathering should also file a complaint.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:05 AM
jj1814

Originally posted by toykilla
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...0&summary=true

here you go.. this should be given to a lawyer and everyone with feathering should also file a complaint.
filing my complaint now.

And when you file the complaint, dont file it as an issue with the TIRES!! (there is a selection - you will see what im talkin about)

after i selected my model, make, and year, i selected Suspension (not front or rear suspension)

Last edited by jj1814; 10-15-2003 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:37 AM
2Fishy4U

Is there anyone out there with at least 5,000 miles on their Z that does not think they have a problem. I have read so many different comments and suggestions about this issue that I am totally confused. For example, the older board regarding the issue indicated that switching to Michelin would solve the problem. Others said their Bridgestone dealer was replacing the tires, although I am not sure if that solves the underlying problem.

As for me I have about 5,000 miles on my Z (Delivered 4/4/03) and things seem to be fine. But with that said I am not an expert and unless something was fairly obvious might not notice.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:39 AM
toykilla

it appears about 7k miles
Old 10-15-2003, 09:54 AM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 16K miles out of my OEM front tires and 20K out of the rears. That was with 2 track days and 6 autoX (it was acutally 3 AutoX on the front tires) as well.

I had no feathering, and my car does pull to the right (not very badly though). Obviously it is possible for a Z to have no feathering, but the question is how? Maybe I should get my car's alignment checked and see how it falls within the spec?

I currently have another 9K miles on my second set of front tires (Yokohama AVS ES100) and 5K miles on my second set of rears (Hankook Ventus K104), and still no feathering.

I drive very twisty roads to work, so maybe the hard cornering helps even out the wear?

Well, I'm glad I don't have to go through this. I hope you guys can all get your issue worked out to your satisfaction. I agree that 5-10K miles is much too quick for these cars. If I can get 16K miles with two track days and my commute, then almost everyone should be able to get that amount.

-D'oh!

Last edited by D'oh; 10-15-2003 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:03 AM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, here is what my front tires looked like @ 15,900 miles.

I took some pictures and posted them in this thread a while ago.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=30150

-D'oh!
Old 10-15-2003, 10:05 AM
toykilla

90% of my driving is on the highway so i am mostly giong straight.. perhaps this is a straightline problem rather than a twisty problem
Old 10-15-2003, 11:22 AM
mwaller

Another forum member, Ian, started an email list of owners with this feathering issue. Last I heard, the list had 38 members and growing... Email him at mindfullivin@yahoo.com so we can consolidate our efforts and share info more effectively.
Mika
Old 10-15-2003, 11:55 AM
Grommit

Hey guys,

I don't have my Z yet, it's been ordered and should be here first thing next year, but, I'm still worried about all the problems the Z is currently having. I haven't heard of the 04's having tranny or feathering problems but they just came out and only time will tell if they are cursed with the same issues the 03's have. In either case if there is a problem with the 04 or not, I do agree you all *need* to seek legal channels to have this matter addressed. Atleast this will send a message to Nissan that something needs to be done. It would be a total shame to let Nissan off the hook after we all spent so much money on this car.

I love this car, I feel it's worth the $35,000 I'm paying for it, but my peace of mind is worth far more. I'll be glad to chip in with the legal expenses. Even if the 04's do not have this issue atleast this lawsuit will ensure Nissan address any further issues in a timely manner.

Good luck everyone. I'll be watching this thread and the progress of the class action suit that I believe must be filed.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:22 PM
Jsn350Z

I only have 1,7XX miles on my 04 Z. Pulls to the right....

I am kinda scared, I LOVE my Z, but I am not paying for tires that often.

Will Nissan give me an allignment under warranty? If so, I will have them do that, and if it happens for the third time pretty quickly, then I just don't know.

If they buy back your car under the lemon law, do they give youALL of your money back? Including tax?
Old 10-15-2003, 12:45 PM
mwaller

I belive there is a true fix for the pulling-to-the-right issue; works on some cars. It is actually a part that they replace in the front suspension. Feathering is another issue; may be related. Yes, your dealer should align the car for you under warranty, and perform the rest of the TSB.
Mika
Old 10-15-2003, 12:50 PM
toykilla

the pulling to the right/alignment/feathering are all different issues.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:17 PM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

BTW the picture of those tires show's feathering... Even wear would be across the whole tire... The inside part of the tires is JACKED up... (not unless im confuesed and have the picture crossed) but that tire should have made alot of road noise.....
Old 10-15-2003, 01:29 PM
Michael-Dallas

*sigh* We live in such a sue-happy country. It's improbable for tire feathering to be deadly. Tire feathering is caused by misalignment (perhaps Nissan's alignment specs need to be fixed). And misalignment is a wear'n'tear thing.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/broc...kAlignment.jsp

Look under Misalignment and Tire Wear --> Incorrect Toe Setting. Then read the section on Toe.

I would recommend that you have your alignment shop dial just a hair of toe-in (and adjust as necessary). Of course, if your tires are already feathering, then I recommend you replace the tires or rotate the tires off the rim before doing an alignment.

Michael.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:43 PM
Jsn350Z

Would new coilovers/rims/tires fix the alignment/feathering issues?
Old 10-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Jsn350Z

Also, I have an appointment tomorrow to get an alignment done. (Or at least for a ride along, they better not turn down my alignment...)

Is there anything else they should do besides align the car? What is the "Whole TSB"?

Quick Reply: Should we start a class action law suit with Nissan about Tire Feathering