Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Should we start a class action law suit with Nissan about Tire Feathering

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 12:20 PM
zmeister03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nissans current fix

of swapping front tires is no fix. There is a considerable difference in handling with the cupped tires swapped to the outside edges.
You can feel them taking a freeway clover leaf ever single chop can be felt causing a slight shimmy to the front end. A lawsuit waiting to happen.

I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to quality tires if it does I'll never buy another Nissan again. I'll put the Z in the garage and buy a vette.

Dealer told me my alignment was within specs and that it is normal "even though they've only sold a handful of Zs for these tires to go at 6 or 7K.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Blue350zCali

My tires were swapped probably around a month or so ago and I could feel my car shaking abit due to the feathering on the outside of the tires. My tires now are feathering again on the inside and I called my dealer and he does not know what to do now. Told me to call back tomorrow, I will update tomorrow to see what they tell me.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:06 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is feathering? My car has 5500 miles on it and it drives perfect and the tires look brand new.....
Old 11-10-2003, 03:58 PM
sch350

New to the board...... Anybody with an '04 have the feathering problem? Just got mine 3 weeks ago. It was built 8/03. Will keep a check on the tires. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Beamm

OK, I feel like digging this thread back up.

I've been thinking about this a bit, and today I saw something that piqued my interest so I'm hoping I can get some info from the people on the board.

This question is specifically for people who have bought tires for the 17" rims (although it might apply to others as well, what I saw was for 17"). When you got the tires, did you sign something? Specifically a form with a bunch of legaleese at the bottom and some fine print? If there is, I want you to look specifically for a clause that deals with 17" tires (or other high performance/low profile tires). If someone can look this up and post it on here I'd be much obliged. I don't want to tip my hand for what I'm looking for because I don't want to taint what people find.

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:00 PM
ezchief

Beamm,

Please clarify. Are you talking about buying non-oem tires from a 3rd party or getting oem B/s REO 40's replaced at dealer?

I have done both with this issue.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:07 PM
Beamm

Either, Or. Either way you should have signed something and there may be some clause about the 17" in there.

I'm just curious to see what it says in there. I went to the goodyear store here but they wouldn't give me the printout without actually buying tires from them. So, I need someone on here to see what it says.

It would be great to get the info on both OEM and non-OEM tires if possible. You can also PM it to me if you want.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:51 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Class Action Lawsuit - Yes

I just recieved a message from NNA

Promised tires replaced, now must jump through new hoops

Swap tires right to left, left to right and in 1500 - to - 2000 miles hear as per TSB from nearly a year ago. Don't these people read thier own TSB updates?

YES - Proceed with Class Action Lawsuit - I will contact Attoreny General's Office tommorrow.

Cheers AMy -

This car is a PITA
Old 12-05-2003, 10:35 AM
Carterattorney

Listen.. I dont have much time..BUT .. In order to have a class action.. there have to be damages.. IF Nissan will work and fix the problem.. there is not need.. I had the same problem..
I took it to the dealer (got my Z Aug 29 2002.. yes 2002.. ) I had about 12000 miles on it a year later and Notice a distict.. noise with the tires.. and even with 14000 miles on the tires.. THEY got me two new front tires.. I was very please.. NO charge.. THE supposedly.. aligned and balance them too.. AND now aobut 1000 more miles.. all is great.. go back to the dealer..Dont be rude.. but see what they will do..
I do love this car..
Attached Thumbnails Should we start a class action law suit with Nissan about Tire Feathering-thumbsupcar.jpg  
Old 12-05-2003, 12:52 PM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The damage in this case is owning a car that requires new front tires every 5k miles. Is Nissan going to keep buying new tires for all of us that have the problem? I doubt that. Even if they did, there's no way I want to have to make 2 or more trips to the dealer every 5k to get my new tires. Unless they actually fix the problem that causes the tire wear problems, putting new tires on is a temporary bandaid for a much bigger problem. Up until recently, Nissan was not working to fix the problem. If anything, they were trying to cover it up. They are now sending engineers to look at cars with the problem, but so far nothing promising has come of that.