2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How do you get sponsors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 04:16 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you get sponsors?

I was just wondering how people got sponsors for their car. It seems like a cost effective way of getting parts, and at the same time, helping out a company. Does anyone here have sponsors, and if so, how did you get them?
Old 10-19-2003, 05:08 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Write formal letters directing to someone who takes care of sponsorships.

Tell them about yourself, your car, the shows you attend, how you can help them.

You know, stuff liek that.

Good Luck!

Victor
Old 10-19-2003, 05:11 PM
MY350Z.COM

here's a good post

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=21828
Old 10-19-2003, 06:05 PM
Ultimateone

Become a presence in every form.
"TALK TO PEOPLE"
Be at all the shows.
Post on alot of forums and make yourself known (Post in a mature fashion and respectable).
Mod your car different or be original.
In any way possible go beyond what others are doing.
Be yourself.
And also try getting on a Show car Team, by doing this is a huge way to get sponsors quickly.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:05 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually, you have very good timing. in the october issue of import tuner, there is that very same article. it is still on the newsstands here in hawaii.

the article is called, "got sponsors? 2nr's guide to gettin' 'em"

good luck.

gary
Old 10-19-2003, 06:53 PM
ares
Veteran

gotta go to shows, they want a car that everyone will see, be it at a track, or a show. they also dont want to be the only one with parts on your car. so you need to either buy your own parts and then get sponsored, or get multiple sponsorships.

its not free thats for sure, you earn every dime with the shows you have to attend.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:00 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Thanks everyone for the help. Is anyone here sponsored? What benifits do you get?
Old 10-19-2003, 07:09 PM
cnile51

i am sponsered...... tealk to companies goto shows give em reasons to come after you..... lite glow sponsered me because theyve seen my car before they like the way it looks... they called and looked for me..... give em a reason to say yep we copuld use that guy to help advertise basically.... and you know what..... when the big guys say "No" come back with a mod to blow em away then try again..........show them your a serious person ready to commit.... come out profesionally also

NiLe C.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:33 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Hmmm, so i dont really have a chance unless i start modding my car like crazy? Basically, all i have is a nismo cai, grounding kit, painted calipers, painted engine cover. Im trying to get into the whole car show scene, but i feel like i need sponsors first so that i can afford the parts.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:32 PM
VeilSdeGTO

Take pics of your car and mods. Just like getting a job, you need a resume. Well, you need the same for your car. Put together a PORTFOLIO of your car. Write a cover letter to the company you want the sponsorship from. Then list some goals for your car. Something like a 6 month plan, and a long term plan. A list of mods is also key. Shows attended, awards won, exposure, thats also good. It would also be nice to include events you plan on attending as well.

In the cover letter, show your interest in the company and why. It's built a great reputation for making the best pistons... etc. Then say how they can help achieve your goal. You plan on making the car do ten's in the quarter mile and their forged pistons will help take you there... etc. Then say what you can do for them. Exposure is key. Also, you know the market for race cars (350z forum, car club) and you know tons of other people interested in their products.

Say that you are willing to take what they offer. Whether its a discount, free, they pay for your entrance fee's, you would appreciate any help they can provide.

IMPORTANT!! If you don't want to attend shows, or be obligated to certain companies... don't ask for sponsorships. It's a commitment. If you don't like the decals, attending a certain amount of shows, having people have a say in what to do to your car, don't offer. Just remember, if you're not willing to do all that for their company, why should they sponsor you?

Networking is important. Go to car shows and races. Call around. Don't just go for the big companies. Talk to everybody !! The more they know you, the more they'll keep you in mind when something comes up. Another thing... follow up. These people are busy and as much as it may seem like you are bugging them, calling them to remind them is important. As long as its not every ten minutes. Hah. Give them a call a week after your initial proposal to see if anything has progressed. The answer will be no. Ask for a time frame... then call back a few weeks later.

It took me months to get some of the sponsorships but there were some that was on the spot. Patience is key! Good luck!

Court