Take THAT Prius!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:46 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
did you actually calc it out or only relying on the computer data? I have had my Z long enough to know that computer isn't even close to true MPG
I never really look at that display option. I'd rather calculate my tank capacity on road trips. More accurate and significant, if you ask me.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:14 AM
ms350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zivman
did you actually calc it out or only relying on the computer data? I have had my Z long enough to know that computer isn't even close to true MPG
I manually calculate my MPG every tank and the gauge IS accurate to within ~1mpg. The reason it doesn't appear to be accurate for many people is because they don't use it properly. The gauge shows the average mpg SINCE YOU LAST RESET IT, you have to reset it at the same time that you refill your tank or it will not be accurate. 32mpg is believable if you maintain a relatively low and steady speed in a high gear. Yes, the prius gets better mpg than the 350z, and it is a boring car... if you want fun buy a 350, if you want boring fuel economy buy a Prius. PLEASE don't start a bunch of ignorant posts about "miles per tank". If you have one vehicle with a 10 gallon tank that gets 40mpg (400 miles per tank) and another with a 20 gallon tank that gets 25mpg (500 miles per tank), you would actually have more "miles per tank" with the car that gets lower gas mileage.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ms350z
I manually calculate my MPG every tank and the gauge IS accurate to within ~1mpg. The reason it doesn't appear to be accurate for many people is because they don't use it properly. The gauge shows the average mpg SINCE YOU LAST RESET IT, you have to reset it at the same time that you refill your tank or it will not be accurate. 32mpg is believable if you maintain a relatively low and steady speed in a high gear. Yes, the prius gets better mpg than the 350z, and it is a boring car... if you want fun buy a 350, if you want boring fuel economy buy a Prius. PLEASE don't start a bunch of ignorant posts about "miles per tank". If you have one vehicle with a 10 gallon tank that gets 40mpg (400 miles per tank) and another with a 20 gallon tank that gets 25mpg (500 miles per tank), you would actually have more "miles per tank" with the car that gets lower gas mileage.
I beleive 32+ is definitely possible. Heck, I can get upper 20's with my car with dual fuel pumps, 880 injectors, lowered compression, and two turbos. all I am saying is I don't trust the gauge
Old 01-16-2010, 12:18 PM
konaforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ms350z
+1

It's accurate if you use it correctly. If you don't reset it, or just measure for 5 minutes after you reset it, it's not going to be accurate.

You can't say it's not accurate because:

"I reset it and coasted down a hill and got 50 mpg!"

Well, when you're coasting down a hill, you're not burning much gas, so it's accurate for the period/action you're using it for.

Last edited by konaforever; 01-16-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Truthfully, I’m not that far off what adamciya350 shows for mpg stats. I check the mileage manually and compare this to the car’s “computer,” and the calculations are nearly identical.

OK… I’m older and probably drive more conservatively, but the exceptional mileage I get with the Z is certainly surprising. After all, the car is moderately heavy for a two seat sports car ( when you compare the weight to something like the Porsche 911).

But then… isn’t the Z engine shared across the Nissan Line? The Nissan Altima V6 turns in very good mileage. And yes... I realize the Altima is “chipped” differently.

Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 01-16-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:43 PM
ArtfulDodger

.....so keeping the car in neutral uses more gas than keeping it in gear.....? And Wikipedia isn't a legitimate source haha anybody can edit it.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Moncada90
Banned

damn!!! i just check mine today it says im doing 17 mpg