Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Mobile 1 (Feel a Differance?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 09:55 PM
Jsn350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile 1 (Feel a Differance?)

Well, 2,500 miles almost, and I already feel I have taken to long for an oil change. But hey! I have only had the car a month! (almost)

I just bought a bunch of mobile 1 and I am curious if any of you can feel a differance? Is the car smoother? Any other good side effects?
Old 10-23-2003, 04:22 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Synthetics

You really shouldn't feel a difference. Synthetic oil is not really much more slippery. The main advantage of a synthetic is that it breaks down slower under high loads or high heat. (it is more durable)

Motor Oil contains a bunch of different molecules of varying lengths. (chains) It is actually a family of molecules. In the synthetics the molecules are formed in a more predictable way so the oil contains more chains of the ideal length. The molcules they shoot for are the ones that don't degrade quickly in heat.

There is a lot of hype on synthetic that isn't really true. The main advantage is it's longevity. If you change your oil regularly the only reason to pay the extra is if you drive it hard enough that you need the extra wear resistance.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:37 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use Royal Purple!!

Get it at http://www.z1auto.com

Best oil ever made IMHO.

Victor
Old 10-23-2003, 07:23 AM
Blue Liquid

Yeah, there's no way you'll actually feel a difference. Those who do are experiencing the powerful effect of mind over matter. It's also called the placebo effect. There's 'special' oil in there now so they think their car is now measurably faster.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:30 AM
ares
Veteran

I didnt notice a difference... but I feel as tho Im being better to my engine for using it. eh. hope so.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:30 AM
Ralphus

Everytime I use Mobil 1, as I have in my past three cars, it turns to black **** in 2000 miles, whereas normal dyno oil stays brown. I have my doubts about the stuff, I don't know if I'll use it in this car, doesn't seem worth the cost.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:35 AM
cincyspider

Hell yea. My sex life is SO much better now, and my teeth are whiter, and my car NEVER needs to be washed anymore! And people see me parked somewhere, they always come up and say, "WOW dude! Nice OIL!"
Old 10-23-2003, 11:34 AM
zmeister03

Default RP

I use the royal purple and you can sure fill the difference.
My wallet is much lighter so the car has to be quicker.
Seriously the car seems to run much smoother right after an oil change no matter what type of fluids you use.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:49 AM
Inova

I'm using Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil right now, and the only difference that I can tell is that the engine runs smoother. Besides that you shouldn't really feel any difference.

BTW, anyone know where I can purchse Royal Purple in large quantities or Castrol Syntec for that matter? What is a good website?
Old 10-23-2003, 12:32 PM
mwaller

I switched to mobil 1 at my 2nd oil change. I didn't expect to notice any difference, but I did. From a cold start, the engine ran more smoothly and quietly than it did with the mineral oil. I was rather amazed. Following my lead, my dad tried mobil 1 in his Honda CRV. Same result - cold idle was much smoother and quieter.
Mika
Old 10-23-2003, 12:34 PM
Selski12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably wont notice anything different since you put on only 2,500 miles.

I recently changed to synthetic Mobil 1 after having done two regular Mobil oil changes before.

What I have felt different this time around is that the engine is definitely smoother, especially noticeable during downshifting. Revmatching got much easier and smoother.

Also, now I have to put a little bit more gas during takeoff on 1st because the revs drop faster than before.

Just my experience
Old 10-23-2003, 12:49 PM
drgenefish

Originally posted by Ralphus
Everytime I use Mobil 1, as I have in my past three cars, it turns to black **** in 2000 miles, whereas normal dyno oil stays brown. I have my doubts about the stuff, I don't know if I'll use it in this car, doesn't seem worth the cost.
Isn't oil supposed to turn black? That means it's picking up dirt.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:06 PM
MY350Z.COM

Putting Royal Purple Engine Oil in doesn't make it feel any different, but the tranny oil is a different story.

Victor
Old 10-23-2003, 02:38 PM
Ralphus

Originally posted by drgenefish
Isn't oil supposed to turn black? That means it's picking up dirt.
Your filter picks up dirt, motor oil lubricates your engine.

Why when I drain Mobil 1 is it black garbage, but when I drain regular dino oil it still looks good like it's protecting the engine?

I'm going to try Royal Purple next if that many people like it.

Also, to you people saying Mobil 1 made this or that happen on my low mileage car, it's all mental.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:37 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I would suggest amsoil over any other oil. Probably cheaper than Royal purple and Mobile 1 when ordering online with perferred customer discount.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:59 PM
archman350z

There is no doubt that synthetics handle both heat and cold better than dinosaur juice. You'd be amazed at how thick regular 10W-40 gets at 0*F...it won't pour out of it's own bottle! Here are the reasons that I strictly use them in my high performance machinery:

1) Synthetic oils are uniform in composition. This means that the waxes, tar, and other junk (normally found in dino-juice) won't separate and stay behind in your engine...there are none!

2) Synthetics don't absorb gasoline or moisture, so they can't become contaminated or broken down by it...this allows the extra moisture or gasoline to burn off when the engine gets hot. Very nice for things that sit during the winter months.

3) Synthetics have a lower viscosity, but protect like a higher-viscosity oil. This means they can get quite cold and still be thin. The lower viscosity also means lower windage losses on rotating parts...not a big power adder, though.

4) They can handle higher repeated temps without breaking down into sludge.

5) Because of the above, I can get 12,000-18,000 miles on an oil change before the tests come back negative. In the long run, it's the same price as dino-juice.

Another interesting note: I had a buddy in college who bought a Geo Metro new. The day he got it, he tore down the top-end and took measurements of the cams and bearings. From 500 miles on, he ran nothing but Mobil1. At 80,000 miles, he tore it down again. The cams showed virtually no wear! They were still within factory tolerances for new! Later, when I got a buddy who sold Amsoil, I was sold.

The blackness is probably because synthetics have a high concentration of detergents. They are excellent cleaners!

I personally prefer Amsoil, but Mobil1 is no slouch either (Amsoil tests show it's the next best oil). Just about any synthetic oil will be a vast improvement over conventional oil. The Z was awfully crabby yesterday when I took her out of storage...at 12,000 miles (when the free oil changes are up) she's getting Amsoil too. It will definitely get rid of this problem.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:36 PM
jreiter

Originally posted by Mike Wazowski
Putting Royal Purple Engine Oil in doesn't make it feel any different, but the tranny oil is a different story.
Victor

Yeah, good synthetic tranny lube is pure magic. A buddy of mine had an old 81 Honda Accord and it was very tired and had a couple hundred thousand very hard miles on it. He put BG Synchro Shift in his tranny and wowsers... the improvement was amazing. I've never used it on a new tranny, but the difference it made to that old tranny was night and day.