Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Defective Paint????!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 02:32 PM
Beamm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defective Paint????!!!!

Hey all, hoping that someone more into car detailing than I can give me advice on this one.

I have a '04 SS Base Coupe that is 6 weeks old now. I noticed some black crap on my hood and thought it was tree gunk from the rain. I went out shortly after I noticed this (1 day to be exact) and brought it to the car wash. After I got it back from the wash, a day or two later, I noticed some spots on the hood. I tried to whipe down the hood with one of those 'carwash in a bag' things (not allowed to wash our cars at my apartment complex) and noticed that it wouldn't come clean. I looked closely at it and thought I noticed something odd. I tossed a little Zymol on there and sure enough it was what I thought. There are etchings in the clearcoat and paint on my hood. The largest is maybe the size of a dime and has three layers to it. You can see the base layer from the clearcoat. Then there's a tiny ridge where it is etched away to a second layer. Then that second layer is again etched away down to a third, lower layer. In that lower layer there is some black crap that I can't get rid of. To me it looks very much like some kind of chemical reaction taking place (I have a degree in Biochemistry so I've blown up/reacted/etched a ton of stuff before). Can someone tell me what gives? Has anyone had this happen before?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-23-2003, 02:45 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any chance anything dropped onto the car? particularly bird crap, or anything else acidic.

it can just be the paint... it does happen. if its limited to the hood, you can likely be ok with just a repaint on the hood that nissan should cover.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Beamm

Originally posted by ares
any chance anything dropped onto the car? particularly bird crap, or anything else acidic.
That's what I thought at first...however I noticed that there was bird crap on other parts of the car and those areas didn't get any damage to the paint. Also, it really didn't look like bird crap. It is very strange.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:30 PM
SweatyPalm

Default Re: Defective Paint????!!!!

Originally posted by Beamm
Hey all, hoping that someone more into car detailing than I can give me advice on this one.

I have a '04 SS Base Coupe that is 6 weeks old now. I noticed some black crap on my hood and thought it was tree gunk from the rain. I went out shortly after I noticed this (1 day to be exact) and brought it to the car wash. After I got it back from the wash, a day or two later, I noticed some spots on the hood. I tried to whipe down the hood with one of those 'carwash in a bag' things (not allowed to wash our cars at my apartment complex) and noticed that it wouldn't come clean. I looked closely at it and thought I noticed something odd.
Do you mean detail shop or car wash place? I hope it is not one of those machine operated car wash.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:35 PM
bobS

Take it to nissan, i had a similiar problem with my bmw...although the paint was eaten away totally and rust was forming and they have this special tool that can measure the thickness of the paint. It does it electronically. I'm sure nissan has the same thing. Anyway they noticed that the paint was not as thick as it should have been for that spot so i got my roof repainted under warranty. A cool thing i learned was the paint on the front of the car is applied thicker than the back at the factory b/c it takes more of a beating, same with the sides where the tires shoot up stuff....
Old 10-23-2003, 03:42 PM
Beamm

Default Re: Re: Defective Paint????!!!!

Originally posted by SweatyPalm
Do you mean detail shop or car wash place? I hope it is not one of those machine operated car wash.
Oh the horror! My baby will never be touched by a brush!!!!
Old 10-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Stabber

take some pics. i think i have this problem on my roof. GOD DAMNIT
Old 10-24-2003, 06:19 AM
Beamm

Originally posted by Stabber
take some pics. i think i have this problem on my roof. GOD DAMNIT
Stabber....I tried but you can't fully see what is going on because I don't have a high enough res camera unless I use my film camear and make the images huge...but that will take a couple days. I'll work on that.