Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

The official BOSE thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 01:48 PM
stungeon
Charter Member #63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We might be on to something here. I would agree with that. It does sound like it is constantly trying to adjust itself. I think it would sound better, not much, if we could disable that feature.
Old 08-31-2002, 01:53 PM
ZZtopp

The Bose system in the Vette is speed sensitive and it works very well. In fact, you can adjust the level of volume compensation down to nothing if you want. Even at its highest level, it's very subtle. It sounds like the system in the Z may or may not be speed sensitive, but is also sensitive to sound as well. Very strange....like a dog chasing its tail.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:52 PM
SunsetZ

I noticed the auto adjusting seems to only be with the radio. CD's seem to sound much better and the volume doesn't keep changing.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:16 PM
leadfoot

I appreciate this information very much. There are those of us who did not pre order that will find this info very valuable. This pretty much puts the nail in the coffin of the touring pkg.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:26 PM
nizl

Wow, that sucks that it's actually that terrible. I feel bad for you guys.

I didn't get it because I'm a fairly audio-snobby guy. Not necessaily an "audiophile" (hate that term), but a musician like droidekaus. I'm not as much into bumping as clean, defined sound (love B&W home speakers, gotta save up for a pair...)

I think for $1000 you should be able to get a pretty decent setup, assuming you can keep the head unit. You don't need rears with a good set of fronts, so do something like this:

Front Components - $400
Focal Polyflex
Boston Pros

Sub - $250
JL 10W3
Illusion Audio ND-10

Amp - $350
JL 300/4 (2 channels bridged for sub)

I think anybody should be quite happy with a setup such as that, personally. rpgonzalez, quite the audiophile himself, has been threatening to get a very similar setup and I think it will sound choice. I've heard everything on that list several times except the ND-10.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:29 PM
nizl

Oh, BTW, those are all "authorized dealer" prices so you can almost certainly find them cheaper online at a place like www.sounddomain.com or www.ampman.com (which are actually themselves authorized as well)
Old 08-31-2002, 06:33 PM
MacGuru

Default KEEP your factory head unit...

Now, I'm not endorsing this company or this product. However, I did manage to find this web link for a converter that plugs into the Bose head unit. Only problem is it's car/unit is specific and they may not even have the adapter yet for the 350z. Then again, I haven't contacted this co. yet to see if they do. I've noticed many complaints from current owners about the poor quality of the upgrade Bose system and from what it sounds like it's unfortunate that the upgrade is a waste of money. With all the technofile guru's out there, I'm hoping someone can come up with an cost effective solution to complete the Bose upgrade.

http://www.linkmeup.com/cablelink.htm

Look forward to seeing everyone on the road soon.
-m
Old 08-31-2002, 11:57 PM
FstQban

Just to add a point of view to the forum...
when the RSX Type-S's were first produced(actually the first 16,000 units), there was a wiring problem in the Bose system, i.e. the positive and negative leads were reversed into the sub. This obviously lead to poor sound volume and quality. Maybe Nissan will find somehting similar if this is such a huge problem. Hopefully they will, because I would hate to see this many people miserable with their cars!
Just thought that might help keep some chins up during this crisis!
Old 09-01-2002, 02:31 AM
roberto350z

the head unit actually sounds like such a main problem that you may have to replace it too. I am getting the enthus and like nizl said I will be going Focal, JL amp for components, not rear, and my JL audio suwoofer. If the quality doesnt cut it in the SQ dept. then Im gonna have to go with the flip-out screen!
Old 09-01-2002, 02:52 AM
z461

After getting my car I seriously regret getting the touring because of the stereo system. My thinking at the time was that I could keep the upgraded stock system instead of spending money on an aftermarket system (Along with the stock leather rather than aftermarket). However, after having my car for several days I've found that I will probably do aftermarket after all, and now its going to be even harder since I have the Bose. With the stock system I probably would've been able to keep the head unit and just upgraded the other components.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:39 AM
nizl

Yeah, it sounds like the auto-volume-adjuster is a big part of the problem, but also getting a system to sound good in a moving car w/ road noise is much harder than a stationary one. Maybe the Bose engineers never got to drive the Z around!
Old 09-01-2002, 08:57 AM
VaGentleman

Since the auto volume adjuster's input is a microphone (don't know it's location), couldn't you just cover it up to defeat it?
Old 09-01-2002, 09:35 AM
aggie300zx

So Nizl, would you suggest just putting good components in front door and then just leave the stock rear speakers running of the deck? Currently I'm set to have my stuff installed next weekend, but now I'm going back and forth on what I'm doing. Right now I was going to put Boston RX67 (2-way coaxial) in all four speaker locations running off an MTX amp under the seat. Then another MTX amp under the other seat pushing my sub. Also, still not sure about which sub and where. I have a JL 10w3 but to put in non-bose sub void it would take a lot of work to get that area smaller and sealed (car audio store recommened the JLIB4, free air sub, not sure how this would sound????). Other option would be to have a smaller box built to fit in the hatch area for the JL10w3 that already have. Any advice on this????
Old 09-01-2002, 10:12 AM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Originally posted by VaGentleman
Since the auto volume adjuster's input is a microphone (don't know it's location), couldn't you just cover it up to defeat it?
I doubt it. And I believe the mics are those 2 tiny circular thingies located on both sides towards the bottom front of the windows.
Old 09-01-2002, 04:00 PM
roberto350z

make sure you love the bostons and have tried mbquart, focal, and, mcintosh. The focals start at $350. I say this because i hate bostons soooo much. I have been listening to audio equipment for years, and I think its a FACT that bostons sound cheap. (compared to home audio) Why a fact? Thats mighty arrogant?

No...I think that anyone should agree that there are some good elements to the sound, and you may like the way they sound...but the "fact" is the midrange frequencies sooo close to radio shack. (I did an A/B with RM6's and $100 sony's). Yes the bass is better, the midbass is better, the high frequencies are better. But I bought bostons TWICE and both times I wanted to gouge my ears out after a couple of months.

As far as your OG questions...I always wanted rear speakers, but Nizl made a very compelling point. In SQ competitions with audio equipment, you are deducted points for having rear speakers. I turned the fader to FRONTS and resited the idea for awhile, then I finally overcame the habit and now I cant stand rear speakers.

Its all about front imaging and music being encoded on only two channels, not 4.