Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

near death/hydrolock experience!!!! (cai)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:53 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

why would anyone drive their small car into flood waters? even without looking at the car i can tell that the water would be deep so i wouldn't drive into it.

I'll sell anyone some common sense for 50$.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:46 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
why would anyone drive their small car into flood waters? even without looking at the car i can tell that the water would be deep so i wouldn't drive into it.

I'll quote my dad, "Watch that halo. It could slip six inches and hang you". It's easy to make that kind of statements when you haven't had it happen to you. Have you ever had a wreck of any kind? Why would anyone run a car into something or someone else.
Try working 12 hours moving your parents out of their house, coming home in the middle of the night and not realizing the quantity of rain that has taken place through the day in your town. Puts a little different perspective on it doesn't it?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Gruppe-S
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by binder

Actually for that s2000 in the picture, we don't actually know the owner of it, but one of our coworkers friends saw that outside his office and snapped that shot when it was raining really heavy when that storm ripped through Cali. The owner of the car wasnt actually driving the car into that mess it was parked there since the morning and by the afternoon it looked like that. and the interior was flooded too....
Old 02-12-2010, 07:57 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
I'll quote my dad, "Watch that halo. It could slip six inches and hang you". It's easy to make that kind of statements when you haven't had it happen to you. Have you ever had a wreck of any kind? Why would anyone run a car into something or someone else.
Try working 12 hours moving your parents out of their house, coming home in the middle of the night and not realizing the quantity of rain that has taken place through the day in your town. Puts a little different perspective on it doesn't it?
not really, i work 16 hour days at the hospital and have yet to do somethig stupid in bad weather. It's raining too hard to see, i pull over. The road is dipping down real deep right here and it's covered in water: my brain says that water is probably going to be deep. do'nt drive in it. People are in way too big of a hurry to practice safe driving. very few of these cars are actually in an area that was hit with a flash flood and they couldn't do anything about it. floods the day before leaving deep puddles then someone driving into them like an idiot (because they knew it was flooding and they saw the water) is'nt a sad story. common sense would have saved their car.

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
Actually for that s2000 in the picture, we don't actually know the owner of it, but one of our coworkers friends saw that outside his office and snapped that shot when it was raining really heavy when that storm ripped through Cali. The owner of the car wasnt actually driving the car into that mess it was parked there since the morning and by the afternoon it looked like that. and the interior was flooded too....

that's a bummer then. It looks like an odd place to part a car. The road is 2 lane with no parking from teh looks at it. Leaving it sit is hte best thing you can do once water is all up in it. once you can tow it home then take all the parts off of it and dry everything out before turning the engine over you'll be good. no water in engine!
Old 02-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nismo CAI has the bypass already included.

Nismo FTW
Old 02-12-2010, 08:52 PM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wide open throttle!!! water will pass right on through, just like how to clean off carbon in a carburator engine
Old 02-13-2010, 12:12 AM
TittieZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solution: leave the CAI's to the ricers that actually need the +2 HP gains. A CAI is just a way of saying "I don't have enough money to spend on real mods, so instead I'll blow a couple hundred on a CAI so I can say that I have one..."
Just IMHO...
Old 02-13-2010, 05:20 PM
pangoman

Originally Posted by TittieZ
Solution: leave the CAI's to the ricers that actually need the +2 HP gains. A CAI is just a way of saying "I don't have enough money to spend on real mods, so instead I'll blow a couple hundred on a CAI so I can say that I have one..."
Just IMHO...
The term Ricer refers to basically nothing but looks. A CAI, no matter how small of a gain, is a performance mod. What would you consider a "real mod?" What mods do you have on your Z?
Old 02-13-2010, 05:23 PM
BonesZ33

I agree CAI is a ricer mod. Stock, Short ram or F/I only
Old 02-14-2010, 09:40 AM
pangoman

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
I agree CAI is a ricer mod. Stock, Short ram or F/I only
How exactly do you group stock, short ram and F/I together? Forced induction uses intercoolers for the same reason a CAI is more effective than short ram...especially so in warmer climates.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:56 AM
BonesZ33

Originally Posted by pangoman
How exactly do you group stock, short ram and F/I together? Forced induction uses intercoolers for the same reason a CAI is more effective than short ram...especially so in warmer climates.
So, You'd rather chance Ruining your engine, and paying more money for a few degrees of cooler intake temperature? there are other more effective ways to reduce IAT's. Also,Inter coolers work like radiators in a sense, the air pressure going into the engine does not have contact with outside air or water. You ever heard of an inter cooler sprayer? The inter cooler does not allow actual liquids inside the F/I intake system.

BTW i wasn't grouping them together, i was emphasizing how i would put anything else, besides a CAI on any of my cars.

Last edited by BonesZ33; 02-14-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:37 AM
pangoman

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
So, You'd rather chance Ruining your engine, and paying more money for a few degrees of cooler intake temperature? there are other more effective ways to reduce IAT's. Also,Inter coolers work like radiators in a sense, the air pressure going into the engine does not have contact with outside air or water. You ever heard of an inter cooler sprayer? The inter cooler does not allow actual liquids inside the F/I intake system.

BTW i wasn't grouping them together, i was emphasizing how i would put anything else, besides a CAI on any of my cars.

That's not what you said. You stated that a CAI is a ricer mod and I posted otherwise. You would only ruin your engine with a CAI by driving into water wherein the CAI intake pipe would suck in water. Droplets from rain would not pose this risk.

Please answer one question for me. What is the job of an intercooler?

Last edited by pangoman; 02-14-2010 at 10:39 AM.