Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

VDC Dangerous??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Juggernaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question VDC Dangerous??

I've read before that some feel that VDC is dangerous, particularly at the track. While I think I understand it not being wanted at the track, why do some say it is dangerous??

Am I just being thick?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:57 AM
digerydingo

I don't know if it's dangerous at all but definately something to get used to. You see when your used to controlling a car without any traction systems you get used to feeling when the car is about to break loose and you know exactly what to do to couter that.

Because VDC is a reactive system (engages only when car loses traction), I still get that feeling, but when I take appropriate action (coutersteer, more throttle) the system kicks in and I've found my coutersteer does nothing but send me towards the outside of the corner or worst a wall. If I drive with the system on I have to force myself to remember the car will take care of it (withing reason of course) and hold the turn and such and let the system do the work.

Nissans system is very aggressive, too aggrssive in my opinion, engaging the moment it senses traction loss. BMW's system, however, has three settings and when set to sport, alows for quite a bit of slip before it shuts the fun down. I recomend running the 350 at the track without VDC, especialy if you'd like to learn how to controll a car in those types of situations. Plus your lap times will love you for it.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:09 AM
Dissolved

agreed. I do think it's good for the street though. If you PLAN to be driving like a maniac then definitely turn it off. In my work parking lot this morning I floored it and made a sharp turn. Expected the car to break loose but it didnt. It's really weird...
Old 10-24-2003, 09:58 AM
yooda

Yeah, I think the VDC is over active.

One time I was accelerating onto the freeway and there was a bit of gravel on the ramp. I dropped a gear and gunned it, the tires slipped a little bit and the freaking VDC kicked in and I thought for a second the car was stalling. Then I looked down and saw that stupid slip light flashing. All this would have been fine except for the 18 wheeler that was barreling down on me.

Needless to say, it was a dangerous situation.

I wish you could set the default VDC setting to off.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Juggernaut

I really like the idea of the 3 way settings. I agree that the factory was a little too agressive. Let's get real here this is a sports car not a SUV!!

Here is a thread to trick the system into defaulting to off mode... I might try this...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&highlight=vdc
Old 10-24-2003, 10:32 AM
jackwhale

digerydingo expressed my thoughts on the VDC.

I have had two situations on mtn roads where I couldn't see around the corner and then came across wet leaves/gravel. It kicked in and I remained in complete control. The hard part is letting the VDC do the work and not take the usual countermeasures.

I hope that one of our electronics gurus will have a replacement figured out in the future. They use these on F1 cars quite successfully!
Old 10-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by jackwhale

I hope that one of our electronics gurus will have a replacement figured out in the future. They use these on F1 cars quite successfully!
I thought they did but wasnt sure. What else do they use?
Old 10-24-2003, 12:14 PM
yooda

F1 cars run in the $1.3 million/per range so I imagine they use a whole hell of a lot of other stuff!!!

Frankly I've learned to drive with human VDC.

Although according to all the writeups, VDC pulses this and drops the RPM's to that, I think in most cases you just pull your foot off the accelerator and badda bing badda boom, you've got vdc.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:46 PM
archman350z

Yes, F1 has used stability control systems for years: both legally and illegally...I don't know if F1 has lifted the ban again or not. I know several years ago they lifted it because they had no means to check the cars for it. The race teams were hiding bits of code throughout all the ECUs in the car so that the code could not be traced! Yes, the technology is THAT good that some are willing to cheat for it!!

I am a huge fan of stability control systems (VDC)...and not just because I work in the field...I just get to see the results and they are impressive. Theoretically, these systems can correct for both understeer and oversteer. The goal is to force the car to respond better to driver inputs, not diminish them. They have the capability of making a FWD car behave exactly like a RWD!!

Granted, most manufacturers are quite conservative with the levels at which VDC activates. You can thank the sue-happy public for this. Most street systems will induce understeer, since this is a stable configuration, i.e. straight line. In F1, the system trips at the point when the true limits of the car have been reached...and so it makes the drivers faster and more consistent because the computer can calculate thousands of inputs in just fractions of a second! No feat ANY human will ever be capable of.

At Gingerman, I used the VDC all day. The car I was racing also had to get me 3 hours across the state at the end of the day, so I was not taking any chances. On the Z, VDC causes it to go from moderate understeer to heavy understeer. The only time I really got annoyed was when it would chop the throttle on the exit of the turn, otherwise it's not any worse than a FWD. In the third session, I ended up running out of track on turn 4. The result was three tires on grass and one on pavement (this is what we engineers call a 'mu-split' condition: the tires of the car are operating with a different friction coefficient)...a spin is always the result of such endeavors. However, the VDC activated and countered the spin. I was able to get back onto pavement with a minimal loss in speed and keep going! The whole ordeal was so smooth that the track officials never caught on that I had three tires off!

I hate to sound like a *****, but those of you complaining that VDC almost killed you when a vehicle was approaching are missing the point...have you ever thought about giving yourself some more room to merge in traffic? VDC is in no way, shape, or form DANGEROUS, it's your driving. As far as driving with VDC, just keep one thing in mind: the car will try to point itself where you are steering. All these systems use a sensor on the steering wheel to determine the angle and other sensors to determine the car's projected direction: it will simply try to match these two inputs. You don't have to drive a VDC-equipped car any differently than any other car...simply point the wheel where you want the car to go and it will go there. However, it can't compensate for a crummy driver: if you give a VDC-equipped car too many inputs (i.e. wildly turning the wheel) it will do the same thing as a normal car with the same inputs: CRASH! (This is why I am a big fan of HPDEs...they teach you not to over-control the car).

I hope you have all learned something from my novel!

Last edited by archman350z; 10-24-2003 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:53 PM
samw1978

VDC isn't dangerous in my opinion.. just how you drive your car...
But I'll have to agree that VDC is way too active, this bugs me a lot sometimes, but I'd keep it on on streets in case of any unexpected...
Old 10-24-2003, 02:17 PM
Jason Bourne

Archamn, nice novel!

One clarification though. F1 systems are traction control not vehicle stability systems. They only prevent rear wheelspin, and don't brake individual wheels to mess with the handling balance the way VDC does.

Jason
Old 10-24-2003, 02:24 PM
archman350z

Jason,

Yeah, it's not clear on exactly what they're using because no one wants to fess up and pay the price. However, if they have 2 channel ABS, adding stability control is a few lines of code away! It may not be as effective as 4 CH, but you can still create rotation in the yaw axis. I have heard rumors that they are using offshoots of VDC, but I cannot list my sources.

BTW:; I'm glad you liked my book! It's now on sale on EBAY...

Last edited by archman350z; 10-24-2003 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:49 PM
alex30327

The only way it could be dangerous, is if it cut power at the wrong time, wrong place and hopefully at the track!
Old 10-24-2003, 09:45 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by archman350z
Yes, F1 has used stability control systems for years: both legally and illegally...I don't know if F1 has lifted the ban again or not. I know several years ago they lifted it because they had no means to check the cars for it. The race teams were hiding bits of code throughout all the ECUs in the car so that the code could not be traced! Yes, the technology is THAT good that some are willing to cheat for it!!

I am a huge fan of stability control systems (VDC)...and not just because I work in the field...I just get to see the results and they are impressive. Theoretically, these systems can correct for both understeer and oversteer. The goal is to force the car to respond better to driver inputs, not diminish them. They have the capability of making a FWD car behave exactly like a RWD!!

Granted, most manufacturers are quite conservative with the levels at which VDC activates. You can thank the sue-happy public for this. Most street systems will induce understeer, since this is a stable configuration, i.e. straight line. In F1, the system trips at the point when the true limits of the car have been reached...and so it makes the drivers faster and more consistent because the computer can calculate thousands of inputs in just fractions of a second! No feat ANY human will ever be capable of.

At Gingerman, I used the VDC all day. The car I was racing also had to get me 3 hours across the state at the end of the day, so I was not taking any chances. On the Z, VDC causes it to go from moderate understeer to heavy understeer. The only time I really got annoyed was when it would chop the throttle on the exit of the turn, otherwise it's not any worse than a FWD. In the third session, I ended up running out of track on turn 4. The result was three tires on grass and one on pavement (this is what we engineers call a 'mu-split' condition: the tires of the car are operating with a different friction coefficient)...a spin is always the result of such endeavors. However, the VDC activated and countered the spin. I was able to get back onto pavement with a minimal loss in speed and keep going! The whole ordeal was so smooth that the track officials never caught on that I had three tires off!

I hate to sound like a *****, but those of you complaining that VDC almost killed you when a vehicle was approaching are missing the point...have you ever thought about giving yourself some more room to merge in traffic? VDC is in no way, shape, or form DANGEROUS, it's your driving. As far as driving with VDC, just keep one thing in mind: the car will try to point itself where you are steering. All these systems use a sensor on the steering wheel to determine the angle and other sensors to determine the car's projected direction: it will simply try to match these two inputs. You don't have to drive a VDC-equipped car any differently than any other car...simply point the wheel where you want the car to go and it will go there. However, it can't compensate for a crummy driver: if you give a VDC-equipped car too many inputs (i.e. wildly turning the wheel) it will do the same thing as a normal car with the same inputs: CRASH! (This is why I am a big fan of HPDEs...they teach you not to over-control the car).

I hope you have all learned something from my novel!
^ "Sticky" worthy
Old 10-25-2003, 01:02 PM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

Originally posted by archman350z
Jason,

Yeah, it's not clear on exactly what they're using because no one wants to fess up and pay the price. However, if they have 2 channel ABS, adding stability control is a few lines of code away! It may not be as effective as 4 CH, but you can still create rotation in the yaw axis. I have heard rumors that they are using offshoots of VDC, but I cannot list my sources.

BTW:; I'm glad you liked my book! It's now on sale on EBAY...
I am pretty sure that F1 only uses the TCS for rear wheel spin... Also I was not aware that they had ABS too.. Many of the cars are locking up wheels far to often for them to have a ABS system.

I persoanlly think VDC is fine for most but it makes the car hard to predict when pushing the car or for an advanced driver.. It is slow to react and can never be sure where you want to go... that is its flaws. The VDC system can help when making a easy turn on a slick road or when you get uneven traction between each tire and the road. It can not however know what the situation the car and the driver is in nor predict what is going to happen next in respect with the outside enviroment.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:22 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I did not want VDC, Nav system, heated seats, leather etc.... I just wanted a fun sports car that I COULD DRIVE, not a car that wanted to drive itself. I got an enthusist for that reason and have never looked back wishing to have anything else.

When I was at the track last week, other Z owners were turning off their VDC on the track so they felt it was not an improvement for that application. Since I live in southern Ca., I do not live in snow country thus another reason not to have it IMHO.

Too bad it is not an option you can add to any of the 5 models so those who want it, can get it but those that want lets say a track model, do not pay extra for something they dont want if they dont want VDC.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:50 PM
Jason Bourne

archman, I guess it's really hard to know exactly what the F1 teams are doing since they are pretty good about secrecy.

But I don't think that stability control-type programs would help them much. With the ranges of tire, suspension and aero tuning that they can do from session to session, it would be really hard to optimize the stability coding for different venues and weather conditions. Additionally, I think it would be very hard to design a system that would not cut back on the car's performance at the edge and not tick off the drivers. These guys have pretty big heads and they like to drive the car the way they want to, not the way the computer wants to.

Combine all this with the fact that F1 cars still do spin on occasion, and I would have to say with about 99% confidence that they don't have any stability control.

Of course, everyone knows that they do have traction and launch control. And the effectiveness of various team's abilities varies widely on those two (witness Renault and BMWs very effective launch control programs this year).

Jason
Old 10-25-2003, 04:06 PM
Mr Twisted

I think it is damn dangerous wish I could rip it out. Barreling thur a freeway turn , 18 wheeler on my tail . Go the accelerate thru the back half of my turn .the pedal freezes nothing but a flashind light slip,slip.slip then comes back on again.. It's dam* lucky I didn't become a hood ornament for a 18 wheeler or a spat mark on the Freeway wall.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:27 PM
archman350z

Originally posted by Pure Tremble
^ "Sticky" worthy
Wow, you guys like me...you really, really like me.. Well, I'm just out here to spread the intellect and clean up the B.S.!

Ahhh, F1. I wouldn't rule out any kind of trickery at this level of racing. These teams spend more money than most nations make! This is the pinnacle of motorsports: best drivers, best cars, best technology, etc. If you re-read my previous post, you'll see that I state it is possible to crash a VDC-equipped car..especially one travelling 200MPH at 2-3g's laterally!

I think it's only human nature to be scared of (or not like) something we don't understand...and the new auto technology is not immune to this. For some reason people really freak out at the thought of a car doing the driving instead of them...I, personally, can't wait. (That 6 hour drive back home could be much better spent playing video games or reading a book). The concept of driving is very emotional for people (O.K., I'm being P.C. in saying people are being totally irrational). Even with all the possible things that can go wrong with a computer, they still screw up millions of times less than a human will!!

I completely disagree with the statement that VDC makes a car unpredictable to a <race car> driver. Like I said, the Nissan VDC system adds understeer to the car...this is inherently predictable...much more so than oversteer. Car companies make FWDs that understeer because the general public likes to over-control them (I am disgusted with how little it takes to get a driver's license in this country!). If you over-control a FWD, it will still go straight. Over-control an oversteering car, and you will have to check the rearview mirror to see what you're going to hit.

Yes, professional racers have a huge ego. But, they also have the skills to back it up. Yes, these guys will turn better lap times in a Z w/o VDC, but they are practically machines themselves! The Air Force has done extensive testing on pilots and race car drivers...they've found these guys can actually MULTI-TASK. They are unique specimens and by no means does the general public have this ability. So STOP DREAMING!

As I said earlier, I love VDC. It has enabled car companies to make RWD cars viable again. VDC does a wonderful job in controlling the unpredictable nature of the RWD car...and this makes the corporate lawyers happy. It has an "off" button to make me happy. However, 99% of the time I do leave it enabled...it will still allow you to drive 8/10ths on the street with no intervention. AND ON THE STREET, THAT'S ALL YOU SHOULD BE DRIVING!!

Hopefully in a few years (just like ABS) the insurance companies will get a hold of the statistical data and see that VDC-equipped cars are much less likely to get in a wreck than non-VDC...this will mean cheaper insurance for people like me!

Mr Twisted, I'm sorry, but you should really turn in your license.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:40 PM
Sanderman

[QUOTE]Originally posted by archman350z
[B] The Air Force has done extensive testing on pilots and race car drivers...they've found these guys can actually MULTI-TASK. They are unique specimens and by no means does the general public have this ability. So STOP DREAMING!

As I said earlier, I love VDC. It has enabled car companies to make RWD cars viable again. VDC does a wonderful job in controlling the unpredictable nature of the RWD car...and this makes the corporate lawyers happy. It has an "off" button to make me happy. However, 99% of the time I do leave it enabled...it will still allow you to drive 8/10ths on the street with no intervention. AND ON THE STREET, THAT'S ALL YOU SHOULD BE DRIVING!!

That's the biggest pile of bullsh*t I've seen in years. Both of my 300 Twin turbos were viable cars. As was the RX7 and Supra - and they were all rear wheel drive cars. We don't need VDC to make rear wheel drive cars viable again.

I have to say that every time I drive my car I find the overagressive cut out of throttle when cutting onto a few entrance ramps near my house infuriating. I can take them far faster without wheelspin or breaking loose the rear end with VDC off than VDC will allow. It's the one feature of my car I actively hate as it is for all intents and purposes worthless. 8/10s? More like 5/10ths. Hell, maybe even 4/10ths. And I'm no race driver but I've driven lot's of sports cars on the street over the years.

The VDC system is ridiculously overagressive. VDC, as done on this car, is for grandmothers.

joe

Quick Reply: VDC Dangerous??