Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

It seems that everybody thinks ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 10:10 AM
Tweety-nator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It seems that everybody thinks ...

that the Z has an ugly/economy car interior.

I visit a lot of forums, and the number one complaint I hear is the sub-standard/low-rent interior of our cars. It always goes like this "Love the beautiful exterior, hate the budget-rental interior" ...

I dont know, I like the interior and think it is ok. But is it just me, or am I simply blinded by the fact that I own (or will own) a Z?

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Tweety-nator; 10-24-2003 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Dissolved

Interior is nicely designed. The quality sucks though. Ashame since we spend most of our time INSIDE the car and not outside of it
Old 10-24-2003, 10:22 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I personally do not like the vast mixtures of textures. for example, I would have prefered the door panels just being the texture of the arm rest vs the pattern they put on it (hexigonal if i remember corectly).

I really became aware of how many different color and texture differences there was in our interior when i was having my custom subwoofer made and new stereo installed. I wanted them to match the color and material of the interior. The installer said sure but which one?

All that being said, I still think Nissan did a good job in that they were able to produce a $26-37,000 sports car that has most things such as handling right that compare to cars like M3's or Boxsters.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:48 AM
Tweety-nator

Yeah, I think the interior is average... but I dont think its that bad as some people make it out to be.

Anyway I saw on another forum, a Hyundai Tiburon owner bashing our Z, claiming his had a way better interior than ours and costing 10k less! Hehe, needless to say he got flaimed on that Z forum.

Hmmm I wonder if he has a point though, I have never seen the interior of the new Tiburon ...
Old 10-24-2003, 10:54 AM
Stabber

he's right lol. i bet the tiburon interior IS nicer inside lol
Old 10-24-2003, 11:06 AM
ktm
Banned

I actually like the interior. Those that are hating on it are just finding any excuse to talk @#$@ about the car.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:08 AM
350zluvr

Default TIBBY'S INTERIOR

My brother has a tiburon and let me tell you the interior on those things are first rate P.O.S.! Everything just feels so cheap (not like its about to fall out or anything just the feel of materials and craftsmanship).

Personally, I never noticed any negatives about the Z's interior until I began to read various posts. I liked it then and I love it now. I think as long as the owner is happy with it that's all that should matter.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:12 AM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

have you ever seen the interior of VETTE! fugly... hahaha even the shelby series 1 has crappy interior...

American cars have the worst...Germans have the interior best... but higher prices

I think for the price the interior was done really well... I have a touring and everybody compliments it.... True its usually dark and lighting clusters are what I think my friends actually like.

I HATE TIBUR_MORONS!
They always do the little... speed up slow down...wanna race... move... (although its a nice car for 16 year olds and peeps with BAD CREDIT)

Last edited by Rxramon; 10-24-2003 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:17 AM
WashUJon

If they're searching so badly to find something to ***** about and the only thing they can come up with is the interior, then I'll take that as a bigtime compliment.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the interior design is "spartan" and roomy (for a 2 seater). The design is simple and uncluttered. Some of the parts aren't Toyota/Lexus quality in fit and finish but overall its very good, IMO. Everything is placed properly! The ergonomics are PERFECT. The steering wheel, pedals, seat and shifter are all in the right place (at least for me, but I'm 5'10, 170 lbs and average, so that should be a good measure). All of the gauges are very visible and easily read. The tach is in the center of the cluster, where it should be.

The seats fit me like a glove and are very comfortable for being so supportive. The cutout for my right arm fits so perfectly that I don't even need an armrest on the console, because my arm is so well supported at the shoulder/arm pit.

Have the complainers really looked at most cars? There are FEW cars with better interiors than a Z, especially for the same price. I can only think of a few that I prefer in quality but not necessarily design for near the same price. The only car I can think of with an interior I like better (only in terms of quality) and a cheaper price tag is the RSX.

I seriously wonder if those critics have spent any time actually sitting inside a Z, especially driving one...

Last edited by WashUJon; 10-24-2003 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:19 AM
350zluvr

Default TIBBY'S INTERIOR

My brother has a tiburon and let me tell you the interior on those things are first rate P.O.S.! Everything just feels so cheap (not like its about to fall out or anything just the feel of materials and craftsmanship).

Personally, I never noticed any negatives about the Z's interior until I began to read various posts. I liked it then and I love it now. I think as long as the owner is happy with it that's all that should matter.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Tweety-nator

Phew! For a moment there I thought The Tib had the edge haha!

Thanks for all the post guys, I feel much better now knowing the Z is not that bad.

Also, please keep posting interior comparos! I love the comments, I will probably use them as ammunition for the next guy that complains about the Z's interior
Old 10-24-2003, 01:36 PM
harrjar

I really enjoy the z's interior. It's simple and uncluttered but most importantly, not distracting. In fact, I find myself most distracted by not really having places to put my stuff (it's my daily driver) but as far as operating the vehicle and it's controls, it's great!

I do feel that the plastics are soft and scratch easily but I think the design is wonderful. The body pannels have loosened quite a bit and I get a good amount of rattling, but that's true in a lot of cars. The panels all fit tight and the bottons look nice a feel solid. There could be more storage space but it's a sports car! The only ergonomic issues I have is that I think the switch panel on the doors could be a little farther forward, I have to lift my arm to operate the buttons but also the hazard button should be up on the center dash. My passangers ALWAYS turn on my hazards when they rest their arms on the center console. It's a very awkward spot and not easily engaged when approaching a road hazard.

Truly there are many cars out there with disgusting interiors, I hardly thing the Z is one of them. You know, if you look elsewhere in the price segment (at all types of vehicles that is) you will find many superbly equiped and finished interiors (the Acura TSX for instance) but none of them come close in performance. Don't forget what this car was designed to do.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:39 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

I love the AUDI TT Interior. SOmeone here has gotta pimp out there interior...but not 2F2F style....and then post pics. It has a lot of room for improvement.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:55 PM
EL Diablo

I think the Z is fine the way it is. Sure improvments could be made but overall the car as a whole Rocks! it's not a 40,000 or 50,000 or 60,000 + car. Let's not forget this is basically a sports car you can buy for under 30,000.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:44 PM
wakaZ

imho, i kinda like the "spartan" look.

simple is better
Old 10-24-2003, 03:56 PM
jor8888

Design is good but the quality of the material is too cheap. After I got done stalling my new stereo and shift ***** and car alarm I got scratches all over.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:14 PM
TZUNAMI

First, let me admit that my first car was a Taurus, 88, then an 88 Corolla Wagon, then a Saturn, so I don't exactly have much experience with nice interiors in my own cars.

But, I really enjoy the Z interior. I like how it is simple and uncluttered. My roomie has the Accord EX with NAV. There is so much **** going on it is annoying.

The Z's interior is simple, understated, functionally perfect. I'm in love with it. I do have a touring with leather, which I guess adds some. But I knew I was home the instant I got in my baby. I don't need a bunch of fancy **** inside my ride. I like the no frills functional feel.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:37 PM
WayneTN

I like the interior like it is (rather than pay a lot more for the car). It's not a luxury car, per se, but a sports car.

WayneTN
Old 10-24-2003, 06:23 PM
Dissident

Not this thread again... I like the interior, some people don't. I think Porches have lousy interiors (go ahead, flame away), especially for what they cost. The Boxster interior is fugly and cheap IMO (especially for $50K), the Cayanne is super-fugly, epscially considering how much nicer the Toureg looks The g35 is better wuality, but I find it generally boring. The ergos of the Z are great, which is what really matters.

The only problem I have is the radio doesn't fit in great IMO, and they had to make it even bigger than double-din just to **** with us, the button on the nav door. the cup holder, and the mailslots don't feel like they're built as well as they could be for the money, but otherwise I am pretty happy. And I love the carbon cloth seats.

Now, my only concern will be how these materials hold up over time.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:04 PM
shift

I hate to say it, but if you want to see some excellent interior on a sports car, check out the RX-8. I sat in one, and it's damn nice.

Quick Reply: It seems that everybody thinks ...