Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Starting to modify the 350z..slowly but surely...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 AM
03LeMans350zed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jekl, really glad i picked the exhaust up from you bro
Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 AM
03LeMans350zed

Default Installed rear springs

So I finally had a chance to start installing the springs. The rears are Tein S-Techs and the fronts will be Eibachs. Unfortunately I did not have a spring compressor so I could not do the fronts but that will be soon.

On to pics:

Stock vs Teins

Stock height

Dropped height (still thinking about doing the spring mount mod)

Not dropped

Dropped

Overall very satisfied for the price I payed for them. Right now the car is sitting about 1 inch all the way around, basically I measure from the fender to the top of the tire.

Now just imagine some Volk TE37s or RPF1s on it haha

I got a few more parts coming in so hopefully i will have time to install them.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:20 AM
rotchcrocket04

Originally Posted by Therdee
No offense....

You should start on ::
1: Rims & lowering spring
2: Bodykits
3:exhaust & intake
4:interior
5:engine...

You have a exhaust but it is only single..it is better if dual exhaust..
And you start modding the interior, you should start modding exterior before interior,,,
OP you should definitely follow this list exactly! Obviously since we all can't think for ourselves - we should totally listen to this guy.

Not feeling the single but it was never really my style - regardless, get a sound clip up! You should have definitely tried to get a before/after dyno with the exhaust and pop charger... maybe a tune is in the future (after a few more mods)??

Why did you go with two different springs - front vs rear? I would have personally stayed with the same, that may negatively impact overall performance due to the fact that they may have different compression rates. Regardless, good to see the modding - keep it up!!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:39 AM
03LeMans350zed

Originally Posted by rotchcrocket04
OP you should definitely follow this list exactly! Obviously since we all can't think for ourselves - we should totally listen to this guy.

Not feeling the single but it was never really my style - regardless, get a sound clip up! You should have definitely tried to get a before/after dyno with the exhaust and pop charger... maybe a tune is in the future (after a few more mods)??

Why did you go with two different springs - front vs rear? I would have personally stayed with the same, that may negatively impact overall performance due to the fact that they may have different compression rates. Regardless, good to see the modding - keep it up!!

hahaha

well as previously stated exhaust was next to nothing and i have always been a single exhaust type of guy......everybody has their own style so cant blame nobody for doing things their way. Plus i feel like going the route that I am going will help me learn a lot about the car and the different parts of it. I know people say do it right the first but you can't do it right the first time unless you make mistakes and learn I have a good amount of general knowledge about cars and how things work but its always good to experiment and learn. Also, this will give Momentum some exposure.

tune is definitely in the future after a few more mods haha might take it down to Momentum Performance in Wilmington since they do provide UpRev Osiris tunes.

Buddy of mine had the springs for cheap and I wanted a mild drop until I get some coilovers. Probably going to go with the BC Racing Coilovers. This car will go through a bunch of changes as long as I have it. As far as any negative effect, i doubt its going to be noticeable. I don't track the car.

Tein S-Techs
Design: F: Progressive R: Linear
F Drop: 17mm (.7in)
R Drop: 14mm (.6in)
F Stiffness: 6.9kg/mm (386lb) (+23%)
R Stiffness: 7.2kg/mm (402lb) (+16%)
Stiffness transfer: 7% to Front

Eibach Pro-Kit
Design: Progressive
F Drop: 25mm (1in)
R Drop: 25mm (1in)
F Stiffness: 296-384
R Stiffness: 316-421
Manufacturer: Eibach

Mehhhhh close enough
Old 03-05-2010, 09:48 AM
BonesZ33

I vote RPF1's... unless you have 3k to spend on te37's
Old 03-05-2010, 10:06 AM
rotchcrocket04

Originally Posted by Therdee
No offense....

You should start on ::
1: Rims & lowering spring
2: Bodykits
3:exhaust & intake
4:interior
5:engine...

You have a exhaust but it is only single..it is better if dual exhaust..
And you start modding the interior, you should start modding exterior before interior,,,
Originally Posted by 03LeMans350zed
hahaha

well as previously stated exhaust was next to nothing and i have always been a single exhaust type of guy......everybody has their own style so cant blame nobody for doing things their way. Plus i feel like going the route that I am going will help me learn a lot about the car and the different parts of it. I know people say do it right the first but you can't do it right the first time unless you make mistakes and learn I have a good amount of general knowledge about cars and how things work but its always good to experiment and learn. Also, this will give Momentum some exposure.

tune is definitely in the future after a few more mods haha might take it down to Momentum Performance in Wilmington since they do provide UpRev Osiris tunes.

Buddy of mine had the springs for cheap and I wanted a mild drop until I get some coilovers. Probably going to go with the BC Racing Coilovers. This car will go through a bunch of changes as long as I have it. As far as any negative effect, i doubt its going to be noticeable. I don't track the car.

Tein S-Techs
Design: F: Progressive R: Linear
F Drop: 17mm (.7in)
R Drop: 14mm (.6in)
F Stiffness: 6.9kg/mm (386lb) (+23%)
R Stiffness: 7.2kg/mm (402lb) (+16%)
Stiffness transfer: 7% to Front

Eibach Pro-Kit
Design: Progressive
F Drop: 25mm (1in)
R Drop: 25mm (1in)
F Stiffness: 296-384
R Stiffness: 316-421
Manufacturer: Eibach

Mehhhhh close enough
Cheers man - I totally understand what you're saying. However, I will add - the reasoning I didn't go with springs from the beginning is because I learned from my mistake with my last car haha! I put so much money into the suspension on my last car between the springs, then pieced together cambers kits, then shocks, etc - and it never handled as well as my friend's (same) car with coilovers. Thus why I saved my money and bought the camber kits front/rear and coilovers right away for the Z. However, if you got the springs real cheap, I suppose I can't blame you.

As for the UpRev tune - my God, I cannot say enough positive things for this spectacular tune! Haha! I really fell in love with my car again since the tune. I was really getting bored with it b/c it just felt like it never had enough power or was sluggish, etc. The slight increase in power (especially torque) along with the overall increased drivability made this car soooo much nicer. Its been a few months now and I still love it.

The (performance) mods I have are just popcharger, true dual exhaust, and 5/16" Motordyne plenum spacer. After the tune I really realized how shitty the car ran with those mods in comparison to now.

Also, since I'm rambling on: I can definitely recommend the BC Racing coilovers. Been running them for almost a year now and I really love them. Perfect mix of performance and comfort (if you choose to have that). However, I would not recommend the SPC front A-Arms if you go with a front A-Arm choice (which probably isn't even necessary unless you slam the car). I've had nothing but problems with them (and still continued) since I installed them. I'm lowered a bit lower than the Tanabe GF210 specs and every relatively hard bump the A-Arms slam the bottom of the wheel well. And yes, they're installed properly and I've tried everything in the book to fix it... they just don't pair well with the BC Racing coils and the design just isn't as good as other brands (specifically SPL - which is what I'd go with if I had to do it again).

On a related note, I just sent the money off for a Seibon carbon fiber VS front lip. the modding never seems to end lol

Last edited by rotchcrocket04; 03-05-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 AM
03LeMans350zed

Originally Posted by rotchcrocket04
Cheers man - I totally understand what you're saying. However, I will add - the reasoning I didn't go with springs from the beginning is because I learned from my mistake with my last car haha! I put so much money into the suspension on my last car between the springs, then pieced together cambers kits, then shocks, etc - and it never handled as well as my friend's (same) car with coilovers. Thus why I saved my money and bought the camber kits front/rear and coilovers right away for the Z. However, if you got the springs real cheap, I suppose I can't blame you.

As for the UpRev tune - my God, I cannot say enough positive things for this spectacular tune! Haha! I really fell in love with my car again since the tune. I was really getting bored with it b/c it just felt like it never had enough power or was sluggish, etc. The slight increase in power (especially torque) along with the overall increased drivability made this car soooo much nicer. Its been a few months now and I still love it.

The (performance) mods I have are just popcharger, true dual exhaust, and 5/16" Motordyne plenum spacer. After the tune I really realized how shitty the car ran with those mods in comparison to now.

Also, since I'm rambling on: I can definitely recommend the BC Racing coilovers. Been running them for almost a year now and I really love them. Perfect mix of performance and comfort (if you choose to have that). However, I would not recommend the SPC front A-Arms if you go with a front A-Arm choice (which probably isn't even necessary unless you slam the car). I've had nothing but problems with them (and still continued) since I installed them. I'm lowered a bit lower than the Tanabe GF210 specs and every relatively hard bump the A-Arms slam the bottom of the wheel well. And yes, they're installed properly and I've tried everything in the book to fix it... they just don't pair well with the BC Racing coils and the design just isn't as good as other brands (specifically SPL - which is what I'd go with if I had to do it again).

On a related note, I just sent the money off for a Seibon carbon fiber VS front lip. the modding never seems to end lol

Thanks for all the info. Definitely made my choice in coilovers and tune a lot easier.

I think for the money the BC's can't be stopped. All I am trying to do is get some comfort but also improve handling. Since I don't plan on tracking the car I don't see a point in buying 1800-3000 dollar coils.

I was looking at the SPC's and the SPLs. I know that SPL probably blows all the camber arms out of the water but the price is a bit steep. On another note since I really don't like to have my handling be like crap, bc it is important, I will have to reconsider the SPLs again.

I just bought a AAM Plenum spacer, UTR resonated test pipes, and some 20mm H&R spacers.

Things that I would like to get before I put the car on the dyno is the AAM Pulley kit, JWT flywheel with a nice clutch (still researching which clutch I want), Osiris tune and the Cd009 tranny from a new 350z. Get the RPF1s and send it to the dyno. Then be set for a while until I buy a spare engine......then the real fun begins

I've been looking at the Seibons lips too and still trying to piece my whole kit together. but congrats on the lip I know it will definitely look good. Make sure you send some pics my way after you install the lip so that I can see a shot of the 350z with the lip. Havent found pictures of Seibon CF kits on 350z's so every little helps.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 AM
03LeMans350zed

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
I vote RPF1's... unless you have 3k to spend on te37's
hell yea that is what i am leaning towards to. for the money and what you get they cant be beat.

Still gotta figure out what tire size i will for them

i know i want the 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 +15mm but I am also considering 18x10.5 all around haha
Old 03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
rotchcrocket04

Like I said man, I definitely wouldn't recommend the SPCs (although there are a number of other guys on here that never had any problems?! Who knows). Maybe you can find another brand that isn't quite as expensive as the SPLs?!

Spacers were a great choice too - I'm running 15mm front and 20mm rears. Kinda wish I would have went with 20mm in the front but regardless they look awesome... totally worth the money. Ever since I put them on I despise the look of the factory Z's solely b/c of the wheels pushed in so far haha!

Just for an example and b/c I feel like posting pics:

Side view of how low I am (the BC's can't handle much more of a drop in the rear but I could completely tuck the fronts easily an inch and a half lower than what they are now... if someone wanted to):

Flush rear (sorry don't have any of the fronts here at work):

Old 03-05-2010, 11:57 AM
03LeMans350zed

OMG The stance is awesome. Love that drop. Exactly what I am shooting for. I don't want to be slammed all the way to the ground I just want the gaps to be covered.

I would rather have a peace of mind and save an extra week and get the SPLs, even tho they might be overkill but i rather have peace of mind.

But the car looks FANTASTIC bro.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:17 PM
rotchcrocket04

Thanks man - I really appreciate it! I'll send pics your way when I get the Seibon lip on

Whenever you get around to buying the suspension stuff if you have any questions feel free to get ahold of me. I researched and studied this stuff soooooo long before I bought it I feel like I know practically everything about it haha!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:24 PM
03LeMans350zed

thanks bro and will do
Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 AM
surfer05rdr

Looks good your car is moving along quick. Love it
Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 PM
03LeMans350zed

I have been collecting a few parts, some new things that will be installed soon.........hopefully

I still need to find a good y-pipe. Thinking about going with the HR y-pipe with the UTR resonated test pipes. Once I get those things in I will do a full exhaust review. I want to do a review with stock y-pipe and cats then another with test pipes and a good y-pipe.

oh and don't hate on the wheels.....its what i can work with for right now
Old 03-23-2010, 09:26 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the photos with the ruler. Very helpful.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:07 AM
03LeMans350zed

Originally Posted by davidv
Thanks for the photos with the ruler. Very helpful.
ha you're quiet welcome there bud.....glad i could be of some kind of help
Old 03-24-2010, 06:23 AM
Erdem

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's moving forward pretty quick mayn... looks good.
keep it up.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 AM
03LeMans350zed

Originally Posted by Erdem
it's moving forward pretty quick mayn... looks good.
keep it up.
thank you
Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good op!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:00 AM
03LeMans350zed

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
Looking good op!

thanks

Quick Reply: Starting to modify the 350z..slowly but surely...