2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

trade in value of my '03 Z is $20k?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 06:57 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mpfstew
Where are you getting these numbers? When I go to KBB.com it doesn't ask for trim type or color.
It doesn't ask for trim but you can choose it by the options, lets face it the trim levels don't vary much, the only option I don't see is VDC, so it should get you in the ballpark.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:05 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wholesale

When you sell your car to a dealer (ie a trade in) you are basically selling the car on the WHOLESALE market, not the REATAIL market. The dealer needs to make a markup on the car in the retail market (where he sells) so he needs to pay you less than retail value.

They aren't screwing you out of malice, it is just how the market works.

Sell it yourself and you will get MUCH more for it.

you can go to Kelley Blue Book kbb.com or edmunds.com and look up some used car prices. That will give you an idea of what to ask for it. If you have time to sell it, start high and lower the price if it doesn't sell. If you need to sell it quick then start with a lower price.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:23 AM
mpfstew

Originally posted by westpak
It doesn't ask for trim but you can choose it by the options, lets face it the trim levels don't vary much, the only option I don't see is VDC, so it should get you in the ballpark.
I'm not so sure about that. The difference trade in between premium wheels and regular wheels is $125. From what I can see there is nothing on there to distinguish my TRACK model from an ENTHUSIAST model, although the price difference is $5000. It does get me in the ballpark, but it doesn't seem very accurate.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:29 AM
ZPower

AndyB's right. Try to sell private sale, start with an asking price $2000 under your original window sticker (I'm thinking min. $27k), which hopefully you still have to show people-that way they see the value and savings all in one. Whatever you do, don't let it go for under $25k. Advertise your car and keep it CLEAN, especially under the hood.

As far as trade-in with a dealership, I wouldn't take any less than $23-$24k for it. You're in CT, go to an Herb Chambers dealership, they have Honda. HB is one of the best dealers out there, and they WILL sell you any car as a mini deal-~200 over invoice. You just have to work them a little at it, and you have to know the invoice WITH options for whichever Pilot you want. Any dealer will always low ball you on the trade, that way they have room to play with you and make you feel like they're saving you money by incrementing trade-in value. Go to a dealership, write down every option on the pilot you want, go home to kbb.com, write down invoice, add $200-$500 and go back to buy the Pilot for that amount taking no less than ~$23-$24k for the Z. Be sure to clean the Z, appearance is very important.

How much is your payoff right now?

Last edited by ZPower; 11-11-2003 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:31 AM
ZPower

The 350Z just came out in KBB.com, so give them some time to further differentiate trim levels.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:14 AM
mpol99

350z (according to an msn.com article i read today) has the best sports car resale value in the US!!!!

Don't settle for less, lets keep it this way!
Old 11-11-2003, 01:50 PM
BENCH

Originally posted by ZPower
How much is your payoff right now?
I still owe $22k. I will advertise it around $24k bec. I added another 400miles. I might go ebay or local papers ad.

Thanks alot guys
Old 11-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Melissa

im in here logged in to my wifes user id.....im a manager at a dealership in richmond va....i was thinking of trading mine for a pfinder and ...n.a.d.a. book on a loaded enthiusist is as follows....there is no rough trade in.....average is 24100 with a 450 add for an auto.....24950 clean with a 450 add for auto ....and 26125 for extra clean with a 450 add for a auto.....you at best will get clean conditoion for it.....it doesnt matter what kbb or edmunds say....they dont buy or sell cars.....dealers use n.a.d.a. (national automobile dealer association) book....

my wife wanted to trade her brickyard for a pfinder.....we decided to trade my 03 maxima 6spd instead and then i took the z and she got the suv

hope this helps
Old 11-11-2003, 06:00 PM
themyst

Don't feel so bad. I'm getting $21k on my 6MT performance with 22k miles.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:10 PM
ZPower

Originally posted by Melissa
im in here logged in to my wifes user id.....im a manager at a dealership in richmond va....i was thinking of trading mine for a pfinder and ...n.a.d.a. book on a loaded enthiusist is as follows....there is no rough trade in.....average is 24100 with a 450 add for an auto.....24950 clean with a 450 add for auto ....and 26125 for extra clean with a 450 add for a auto.....you at best will get clean conditoion for it.....it doesnt matter what kbb or edmunds say....they dont buy or sell cars.....dealers use n.a.d.a. (national automobile dealer association) book....

my wife wanted to trade her brickyard for a pfinder.....we decided to trade my 03 maxima 6spd instead and then i took the z and she got the suv

hope this helps

I've also worked as a salesman at dealerships up here in New England. Along with the NADA book, some also use Galves, which IIRC starts at $25k for a Z, no trim level choice but has add on $ for options, which would differentiate trim levels. Norm mileage is IIRC 11-12k miles, with a few hundred dollars to be added or subtracted per thousand miles over or under. KBB is usually a little higher than Galves. Some dealerships here in NE do honor KBB value. Edmunds is more for consumer info. Go to Herb Chambers, I used to work there, they use Galves but will recognize KBB. Print KBB invoice from your comp. and bring it with you.

Tip: Best time to buy a car-very last day of the month. Also helps to do it during Fall season or whenever next year models come out, they will want to get rid of present year models and manufacturers sometimes offer higher rebates, as long as you don't mind buying an 03 when the 04's come out.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:13 PM
ZPower

PS: Did you give your social sec. #, birthdate, address and full name? If so, the dealership might have run a credit bureau on you and saw the $22k payoff, and since most people expect to loose money on a car, low balled you at $20k. DON'T GIVE IN.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:16 PM
ViZion

keep in mind that when you trade it in, you don't pay taxes on the trade in value. so if you're spending 35K on a pilot, and they give you 20K trade-in, you're only paying taxes on 15K. it's worth not hassling with privately selling sometimes, you save in taxes what you would make in private selling.

i'd haggle with the dealership. trade in prices are always negotiable. look locally at autotrader.com and see what your car is selling for in your area. also look at kbb.com for some numbers. then go from there
Old 11-11-2003, 11:50 PM
IndySmooth

Why are so many of you unloading the Z's?
Old 11-12-2003, 04:15 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by mpfstew
I'm not so sure about that. The difference trade in between premium wheels and regular wheels is $125. From what I can see there is nothing on there to distinguish my TRACK model from an ENTHUSIAST model, although the price difference is $5000. It does get me in the ballpark, but it doesn't seem very accurate.
Well, I think in addition to the fact that KBB has just added it to their site, this is where you will find out that some of the options really don't have much of an impact in resale value, if someone is looking at a used Z they are not going to pay 5K more for a track model than an Enthusiast, you just hope you enjoyed the Brembo's and Rays wheels during your ownership.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:12 AM
Melissa

that is crap.....there is a wide varity of trade values...you just need to use a guide worth a crap......kbb does not buy or sell cars...nobody uses kbb in the auto industry....kelly says new cars are worth less than they are and used ones are worth more than they are.....im looking at nada black book right now and i can tell you all the trade values for all the cars....the only add is for an auto transmission....and that is 450 dollars....average book on a bases z is21500...enthuisist is 23300....performance is 24600 for a touring is26200 and track is25200.........and when you come up to clean or extra clean it goes up accordingly....at best you will get somewhere between average and clean.......kbb is the most over rated appraiser out there.....they are always way off one way or the other.....

im not gonna steer you guys wrong....i want you to get as much as possible for your car...so we can keep the highest resale value for a compact sports car out there.....

if you have questions about trade values just ask me....im more than happy to help you out.......

most people will tell you their OPINION on how the car bussines works...im telling you FACT...im the truck sales manager at my dealership......

contact me at
tonylittel@aol.com
if you have any questions
Old 11-12-2003, 12:05 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by Melissa
that is crap.....there is a wide varity of trade values...you just need to use a guide worth a crap......kbb does not buy or sell cars...nobody uses kbb in the auto industry....kelly says new cars are worth less than they are and used ones are worth more than they are.....im looking at nada black book right now and i can tell you all the trade values for all the cars....the only add is for an auto transmission....and that is 450 dollars....average book on a bases z is21500...enthuisist is 23300....performance is 24600 for a touring is26200 and track is25200.........and when you come up to clean or extra clean it goes up accordingly....at best you will get somewhere between average and clean.......kbb is the most over rated appraiser out there.....they are always way off one way or the other.....
Thanks for the numbers, well the Enthusiast is 23300 and the Track is 25200, in one year that 5000 premium for wheels and brakes/VDC is now worth only 1900, that does back up that the options loose value and the basic car is almost the same through out the models.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:16 PM
IndySmooth

and track is25200
A $35,000+ track model is worth $10,000 less in one year? Thats almost as bad as the depreciation on a Lincoln LS. Didn't someone say they read an article that the Z has the least depreciation of any compact sports car?
Old 11-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Melissa

keep in mind i gave you numbers for avg. condition....clean and extra clean ars a few thousand higher.....
Old 10-31-2004, 08:29 PM
wayneack17

I went to trade in my 03 touring package witk 12k miles for a 05 Acura Tl and i was offered 21k which made me sick too. I personally am going to see what i can get selling on my own.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:24 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

Why did you bring up a thread that was over a year old?

Quick Reply: trade in value of my '03 Z is $20k?