Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a certified used 08, and discovered it has been repainted!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah after reading it was the front bumper i guessed that it was repainted due to rock chips etc. is it completly clean and rock chip free? if so then they painted it recently as it had chips. plus how many miles? ive only got 16k and have my fair share, actually more than that, of chips. hood included. id see if maybe they can do a better job of painting though.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:55 PM
TittieZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the rock chip theory. Nissans paint FTL for sure, when mine had enough rock chips to be unsatisfactory, I took it to a high-end body shop that a friend of mine owns, and had him strip and re-paint the bumper and hood.

What sucks about when he did it, is he uncovered several layers of paint in the process, so I got screwed on that whole 'clean Carfax' aspect. Dealers are all a bunch of lying crooks
Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Relax junior, it could be alot worse.

Considering you saved $10k+ for buying it used just be happy and enjoy it.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Exotic_350z
Banned

Well - rock chips are why Gravel roads, semi's, big trucks in general, construction sites ect ect are reasons to detour your route. Hell - if you have the NAVI option - go for it and save that bumper!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:01 AM
Patsfan83

Same thing happened to me I bought an 07 san marino blue, had no idea. One day I was leaving the car to go into the mall and I looked back just to make sure she was okay and I noticed the paint on the bumper looked different than the body and later found out the bumper was repainted due to rock chips. I've had the car for like a month and now there are rock chips everywhere on the front bumper lol so don't worry man
Old 03-13-2010, 07:49 AM
nismonian

Originally Posted by Entaille
^screw tmv. people were getting 08 base models for 21.5k otd with no miles on them last summer.
i bought my 08 base for 23k otd, brand new!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:14 AM
FLfinfan

I think you will be ok as long as they did a good job and the paint does not start flaking or peeling. By the way nice color choice.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Kiriller

I just had my front repainted due to rock chips, put extra clearcoats on this new paint job, dosnt mean my car was in accedent...
Old 03-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Swimminggerman

Originally Posted by nismonian
i bought my 08 base for 23k otd, brand new!
SOAB serious?? lol. When did you purchase yours? I feel like crap now. Thanks. ha
Old 03-13-2010, 10:18 AM
PeterSellers

Ok here are pics of the worst spot. After going over the bumper again this spot is really the only one that kind of bothers me, the rest looks ok.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a certified used 08, and discovered it has been repainted!-img_0938.jpg   Just bought a certified used 08, and discovered it has been repainted!-img_0937.jpg   Just bought a certified used 08, and discovered it has been repainted!-img_0939.jpg  
Old 03-13-2010, 10:20 AM
PeterSellers

Originally Posted by FLfinfan
I think you will be ok as long as they did a good job and the paint does not start flaking or peeling. By the way nice color choice.
Thanks, I was looking for silver originally when I saw this one. Didn't even know the color existed until I saw it that day, it's fairly rare. Your Z looks great!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:38 AM
FineWine

So what. I hit a racoon at 35 mph, and had my bumper replaced and repainted. I'm sure that's on my carfax report.

As long as there's no structural damage and the paint matches, it's no worse than taking the bumper off and putting it back on. These bumpers aren't very solid. In fact, I'm glad it happend because it got rid of all of the rock chips.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:57 PM
nismonian

Originally Posted by Swimminggerman
SOAB serious?? lol. When did you purchase yours? I feel like crap now. Thanks. ha
haha yea got a pretty good deal. bought it in feb of 09'
Old 03-15-2010, 06:51 AM
BrockSolid

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by PeterSellers
Ok here are pics of the worst spot. After going over the bumper again this spot is really the only one that kind of bothers me, the rest looks ok.
i bet it looks better than the alternative, no paint. (paint looks like it was damaged in that area). Only you will notice this, and that will only be when you wash the car, or stare at it long enough.
If it was on your hood, I'd complain. Enjoy the car man, don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:36 AM
zerafian

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That is some of the worst touch up I have ever seen but its on the bottom of your bumper, no one will ever see it and you will get over it soon enough. Looks like 5 minutes of work by the dealership but realistically they would charge around $200-$300 for something like that.

If you would have caught it before you bought it they would have fixed it for free but its to late now.

Looks as if the previous owner just hit something like a piece of wood or rocks, nothing that would go on a carfax. Not even something the dealership needs to mention.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:26 AM
eddiebrock71

Maybe the dealer repainted the bumper. I have had my bumper damaged twice by the dealer. And their repaint sucked. so I had a new bumper installed and painted a a auto body shop. Now they say my car was in an accident. Dealers are buttholes. by the way the factory paint sucks, so if the car has been repainted, try to find the original owner and ask them, chances are if it was completely repainted properly, it is better then factory. As if it was a good paint shop, if was not stripped to the metal, so you will be fine with your paint. I now have a lifetime warranty on my paint, and it is nicer then factory.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 PM
RedlineAZ

Honestly theres not much you can do. When you purchase a car used its AS IS. The certified warranty just extends your powertrain warranty. I worked for a dealer and it was never necessary to include info like that in a sale. However if I did notice it, I would let them know that it has been repainted and offer an alternative vehicle if that bothered them. Dealers usually have a high turnover rate of used vehicles, with most not staying on the lot longer then a few days. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but if you didn't notice it at the time of the sale, I'm sure most others aren't going to pay attention to it while you own it. You are going to notice your cars flaws before anyone else will! good luck!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Dan0myte

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, a quick wet sanding, rubbing compound, polishing job followed by a good wax and it will look as good as new.

If that's too much work for you, a paint shop will be able to do the same for you for a fee.

Absolutely nothing to worry about. Fantastic car choice! I love the '08 body style & colors.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:36 AM
VQ35deMax

clear bra is a solution to nissan crap paint
Old 03-18-2010, 12:03 PM
seekanddestroy

I would be perplexed that a dealer would disclose that detail with you. Dont trip too hard Im sure soon enough there will be something of more concern and you'll be wondering why you even thought twice about this. Its just the nature of cars.

Quick Reply: Just bought a certified used 08, and discovered it has been repainted!