Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a certified used 08, and discovered it has been repainted!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:58 PM
350zWVU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take that back to the dealer and have him get it fixed by a reputable body shop. If he refuses, you should do the same. That should cost only a couple hundred bucks to repair and repaint. PS. The bumpers are notorious for not lasting long with regard to chips. I use a black removable nose cover when I know I will be on the highway for any distance.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:50 PM
thehoodz

Originally Posted by seekanddestroy
I would be perplexed that a dealer would disclose that detail with you. Dont trip too hard Im sure soon enough there will be something of more concern and you'll be wondering why you even thought twice about this. Its just the nature of cars.
+1

Don't sweat it, it's a lot better looking than my daytona blue with rock chips all over the place.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:43 PM
colin8868

Just do what I did I'm not sure if you can get away with this or not but when I bought my Z nissan drills this stupid lisense plate bracket into the front bumper (again this may not apply to you because I'm not sure if front plates are required where you live) But basically I think the bracket looks stupid and I didn't want it on my car, so one day i decided to take it off and i had 6 holes in my bumper so I went to nissan and just said my bracket flew right off the car on the highway and i lost my plate and the bracket and why is there 6 holes in my bumper and made a big deal about it because I had 6 holes in the bumper and also some rock chips already. and they agreed to fix it and pay for everything so they sent my car over to thier collision center and fixed the holes and resprayed the bumper but when i got there my bumper wasn't the same colour as the rest of the car, I do have the pearl white so I can understand it's hard to match but this white was way off so they took it back and resprayed it again and it matched after the 2nd time so I got 2 free resprays for something nissan does to all of there cars!! muahahaha try it if you have a lisense plate bracket on the front of ur Z

Last edited by colin8868; 04-01-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:14 PM
FineWine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll translate:

Take advantage of the generosity of a local dealer instead of chalking it up to experience, or spending a little effort to fix it yourself.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 AM
TurboHer

I work for a body shop that does work for alot of dealers in NY, and we literally paint cars that have just been pulled into the lot, from small rock chips to huge collisions...If you're very picky, then I would recommend taking it back to the dealer and asking them to paint it over, which most of the ones out here do, as a courtesy. And unfourtunately this would not even show up on a carfax because the dealer pays for it, and they wouldnt want to sell a car that has a bad carfax.

Unfoutunately with my last vehicle, I got stuck with a car that had nothing in the carfax and was perfect throughout the summer months when i bought it, until it started pouring and snowing and my car got soaked and icy in the winter. It was obvious that it was involved in an accident but was not reported by the ins. or dealership.

So anyways, it works both ways, if its only a defect in the paint just take it back to the dealer, and mention that small section. ~Problem Solved~
Old 04-01-2010, 02:06 PM
colin8868

Originally Posted by FineWine
I'll translate:

Take advantage of the generosity of a local dealer instead of chalking it up to experience, or spending a little effort to fix it yourself.
do you get off on hasseling me or something? why wouldn't I take advantage of a dealership when I could and why would I want to spent 600 bucks when I don't have too and it was nissans fault they drilled 6 holes in my bumper instead of 2 so why should I have to fix it myself?

Last edited by colin8868; 04-01-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:22 PM
FineWine

All I hear is tears. You obviously do not think it was actually their responsibility by the mere fact that you said "if you can get away with it" and the candor in your advice. You also said yourself you had to exaggerate the details and act like a douche (implied from "made a big deal about it" and my recolection of similar events from my sales experience) to get what you wanted.

You did not walk in courtesly and respectfuly explain the problem, and them offer to help you out. There is a huge difference, hence my attack of your advice.

And I could care less about you specifically. I commented on this topic way before you were here.

Last edited by FineWine; 04-01-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:58 PM
colin8868

why do you always have a opinion on everything?? I just said how he could get the bumper fixed for free and how HE could get away with it, and yes I did exagerate the story to make sure it was fixed and that I wasn't getting screwed I'm sorry if I'm paying 50,000CDN for a car and you drill 6 holes in my bumper your gonna fix it lmao your always right tho and your sitting here telling me that I should fix it myself and stuff and that I'm in the wrong and that I'm taking advantage of a dealership i dont understand what your trying to argue about
Old 04-01-2010, 05:03 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

You need one of these. I've called out at least 6 sellers in the past. Measures paint thickness.

Last edited by mr. sparco; 04-01-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 PM
FineWine

Originally Posted by mr. sparco

You need one of these. I've called out at least 6 sellers in the past. Measures paint thickness.

That's probably the sweetest thing I've ever seen. I must have it's magic. Where can I get one of these?

Seriously, where can I get one of these?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by FineWine
That's probably the sweetest thing I've ever seen. I must have it's magic. Where can I get one of these?

Seriously, where can I get one of these?
Ebay, some auto body supply places sell them as well. Not cheap though $100-800. In my opinion worth every dime. This is the first step that MOST reputable dealerships take to ensure lease returns or to certify a trade in.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:10 PM
FineWine

many thanks. I'm car shopping in a few months, and I'm definitely bringing one of those with me.