Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

does it take time to get used to?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 04:32 PM
rummya87

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default does it take time to get used to?

driving the Z? how long did it take you to get used to it? 5 minutes? 3 days? no time at all? tell me about it here!
Old 10-27-2003, 04:42 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it depends on what your past cars were. If you havent driven a sports car before, it'll probably take a month or so to get used to. The hardest thing for me was all of the blind spots on the car. The suspension and everything else has just made me go faster on turns.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:43 PM
SweatyPalm

Dude, you're a member since Jan 03.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:46 PM
rummya87

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, i know, but tomorrow i might be getting a Z ... and im just a little jumpy, just a LITTLE!
Old 10-27-2003, 04:59 PM
iLLestJrz

Well It was a big change for me. Use to drive a 96 B18B integra. I never fealt some Tq kick like that.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:01 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was used to blindspots because my last car(a truck) had a rear window gaurd, which blocked the entire view.

but the stick was what got me. I had learned to drive a stick about 3 months earlier, and drove for 3 months. got in the Z and stalled, took some time to get used to the stiff clutch in the Z. within 2weeks to a month I was at home in the car. I was ok after a day, but it took a while to get "good" with it.

and Im still getting better a year later.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:05 PM
SungNamZ

Originally posted by krnlikewh0a
I guess it depends on what your past cars were. If you havent driven a sports car before, it'll probably take a month or so to get used to. The hardest thing for me was all of the blind spots on the car. The suspension and everything else has just made me go faster on turns.
"Ditto" krnlikewh0a comments. Had three Vette's before the "Z" (95, 97 and 71). The "Z" is a lot more fun to drive....but those "blind spots". Somewhere, there is a post on adjusting mirrors for sports car. Helped me alot!
Old 10-27-2003, 05:07 PM
z33guy

After driving a focus, i had to get used to power, sitting lower, blindspots, etc. But you HAVE to get used to it. i drive different cars (repos) everyday though so im used to adapting.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:16 PM
s9am_me

gotta get used to the rear view mirror.... can't see squat!!! And this car is a bit mor tourqier than other "sports cars" i've driven... kinda had to adjust to it... thats more of a good thing tho Also, since this car is lower, remember to enter diagonally on some driveways/bumps... scraped on a few a already.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:47 PM
EL Diablo

It feels weird now when I drive my other car.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:03 PM
CelticPride2

Took me a couple weeks to get used to the torque of the engine. My previous 2 cars were an '88 4-cylinder accord and a '99 Integra. They were both plenty quick, but had zero oomph on the low end....until I got the Z, I never really knew what true torque was.

--D.J.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:18 PM
zzzya

I have had a hard time adjusting to the linear acceleration. I want more torque and more power NOW!! I am used to a bored out V8 that delivers a lot more power than the Z's V6. I love the handling of the Z and even more with the new tire setup I put on. I am hungry for NA power, but the market it still in diapers for the Z and I am impatient. Finally some nice headers (Crawford) will be available soon, but still limited ECU options. I may just go for the Technosquare upgrade just to feed my hunger, but I will wait until headers are on so I don't have to send in the ECU again.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:26 PM
marhot

I guess it depends on what you mean by “getting used” to it…

Like mentioned before, the nasty blindspots and mirror adjustment was my first “adjustment”, compared to other cars. That took a couple of weeks to get used to.

The raw power /acceleration of this car is something I still HAVEN’T gotten used to and hope I never do. This kind of power, with a rear wheel drive car, takes some getting use to. I really respect the power of this car, though, and DON’T want to “get used” to it.

I also haven’t gotten used to people staring, pointing, and coming up & talking to me about the Z. There again, I hope I don’t get use to that either!

But the half the fun of a car like this is learning to know the car and "get used" to it. If I ever truly get used to it, then it will just be another car, just transportation. And I don't want that from a sports car. So if I ever fully "get used" to it, that's the day I'll sell it and move on....

Peace
Old 10-27-2003, 08:30 PM
dchengmd

Agree with pretty much everyone above. I've been driving nothing but low-torque Honda slushboxes since I got my driver's license at 16, and now that I'm 33 driving the Z requires some changes in how you step on the gas. Before, in my previous car, a '95 Integra LS, you could pretty much mash the accelerator halfway down and the car would pick up and go without any sudden jerks of acceleration, as if the pedal was buffered somewhat. This was pretty much my experience with every car I'd previously owned/driven (3 Accords, 1 Civic, 1 Integra, and an Acura Legent). Try this in a Z and you'll be needing a neck massage after a few tries.

I've noticed that the Z's gas pedal requires a little bit of finesse in order to get rolling smoothly. I guess I'm still getting used to the throttle-by-wire and the linear properties of the accelerator.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:47 PM
cwerdna

It's taken me a little while. I got mine on August 29th, 03 and previous car (still have it, an 02 Maxima). I still notice the ride harshness, heavy steering and noise (both engine and road) but I guess I'm used to it. The handling is great though compared to my Max, almost night and day difference.

Blind spots I got over in no time, as I set my mirrors really far out. My concern still is that rear visibility view rear-view mirror isn't great. I can't see very far back unless I duck down, which means it's harder to see cops behind me.

As for engine and exhaust noise... my Maxima even though it's got the same engine sounds nothing alike. Because the Max is so much quieter, there's the perception that it's accelerating w/less "effort" if you will.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:18 PM
Jsn350Z

Ha, I went from a 1989 Honda accord to my 2004 350Z. HUGE differance. Although, I had driving aaaall diff. types of sports cars so it did not take to long to get use to. Took me maybe a couple days until it was not shakey anymore when taking off and switching gears. (Accord was auto, I knew how to drive manual, use to b4 the accord but it has been awhile. Now its just silky smooth)
Old 10-27-2003, 10:20 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Mirror Mod

Originally posted by cwerdna

Blind spots I got over in no time, as I set my mirrors really far out. My concern still is that rear visibility view rear-view mirror isn't great. I can't see very far back unless I duck down, which means it's harder to see cops behind me.

Cwerdna:

Yes the rear view mirror is for short people.
Rather than slump down in the seat.
Modify the mirror... Diclaimer here - If you Modify the mirror
you have a chance to damage a $275 mirror ! - that said.

contact wld350z@sbcglobal.net

This consists of changing the angle of dangle.

Tony used a high speed air tool and a cut off bit to radius the ball hanger at mirror side.
Actually both the roof mount end and the mirror ball should be radiused.

So the support rod can be more vertical, droping the mirror lower, so you may look at the horizon for your police car.

If you know the designer of this car - who is shoulder high to me.

Then you will know why many items of comfort are mis- proportioned in this 350Z

Cheers Amy -
Old 10-28-2003, 06:10 AM
BigBadBuford

The Z only took me a day or two to really get used to. I was using my Skylark as a daily driver before I got the Z and it has about twice the torque and about 100 hp more than the Z so a powerful RWD was something I was used to. I had a '95 240SX prior to the Z, and the seating position, clutch and shifter feel, etc was very similar to the Z so I felt at home right away, and the handling of the 240 was close to the Z. The things I had to get used to in the Z was the lower seating position and having less visibility, at first I felt pretty confined in the Z. After you drive it for a while you get used to it and it feels like any other car.