2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A "Z" or a "boxter" ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:55 AM
LeMans 05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting the impression that the majority of people in here who are commenting haven't actually driven the Boxster. It's a fantastic feeling car to drive. OP, drive both, see what you like. Personally, I sold my Z last fall, and am probably going to end up getting a current generation S. You can get an '05 with decent mileage under $30k. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally wouldn't even consider a Boxster, I think Scotts300 meant to say "it's the Miata of Porsches", instead of "the Miata of Mazada's", as that doesn't really make sense.

Now a Cayman S on the other hand, very worthwhile, but astronomically more expensive than the Z. Bang for the buck? Z all the way. If you have the cash, go with the Cayman S. It's plenty quick and has won all kinds of accolades for great handling, going so far as to say it beats out the 911 in handling and driving experience categories.

Last edited by Done Deal DR; 03-24-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:31 AM
TJGILROY

Originally Posted by MarvinMartian

Yeah? Well, they are also like the Z of Nissans.
that would be more like the Altima Coupe of Nissans...
Old 03-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Swimminggerman

cayman is better (by reviewS) than the Z DE or HR. Even better than the 370. Soooo because it cost more and is built better.... you get what you pay for. Dont forget price of parts and mods is more expensive. I like the look of both and might prefer the cayman however I dont have money, rather i Use it on other things. Check the reviews and comparisons. Youtube
Old 03-24-2010, 11:33 AM
SnyzzleZ

in all honesty i think a Z is a better car all around.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:37 AM
SnyzzleZ

Originally Posted by LeMans 05
I am getting the impression that the majority of people in here who are commenting haven't actually driven the Boxster. It's a fantastic feeling car to drive. OP, drive both, see what you like. Personally, I sold my Z last fall, and am probably going to end up getting a current generation S. You can get an '05 with decent mileage under $30k. Good luck.
theres a lot of cars that feel nice to drive. but its slower.. cost more to own.. less space.. and IMO doesnt look good at all.. its what old ppl in a midage crisis drives or a woman
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 AM
mistanismo

Originally Posted by davidv
Both are worthwhile choices but have you looked at the RSX? It is the best of both worlds.
^.

OP, if you are asking these questions, you should start by driving one. they're completely different cars, they are not regularly compared for that reason.

the boxster, quite frankly, can never be a sound, justifyable purchase... even if you have the $, you do not get a lot of 'car' for the price (maintenance factored in).

If you can afford it, buy the caymen S... there's a huge price difference for what you get, however.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:05 PM
LeMans 05

Originally Posted by SnyzzleZ
theres a lot of cars that feel nice to drive. but its slower.. cost more to own.. less space.. and IMO doesnt look good at all.. its what old ppl in a midage crisis drives or a woman
A Boxster S, which I was referring to, will beat any stock Z. Better handling, faster acceleration. Even the first gen S, with 258hp, 0-60 in 5.1. Second gen Boxsters are under 5.

Less space - not really, you have both the front and rear trunks. Not like the Z is spacious. And to compare convertibles, the ZR has practically no trunk.

IMO, looks are subjective.

Cost more to own - I had to have a tranny replaced on my Z, tires are just as expensive, etc. General maintenance may be a bit more than the Z, but they are both performance cars, and the Z isn't exactly cheap.

Middle age women's cars? Sign me up for some saggin' t!ts. Sounds like a good car to drive.

$.02. Carry on. Just don't expect me to hold the Z to the almighty status some of you around here do. Nice car, liked it a lot, but not perfect.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 PM
LeMans 05

Originally Posted by mistanismo
^.

OP, if you are asking these questions, you should start by driving one. they're completely different cars, they are not regularly compared for that reason.

the boxster, quite frankly, can never be a sound, justifyable purchase... even if you have the $, you do not get a lot of 'car' for the price (maintenance factored in).

If you can afford it, buy the caymen S... there's a huge price difference for what you get, however.
Wait, what? The Boxster S and Cayman S are the same car. Just one's a solid roof, the other a convertible. Performance is identical.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:10 PM
08NismoZ

2010 Porsche Cayman S = $61,500 w/ 320hp and 273lb/ft
2010 Nissan 370Z Nismo = $39,190 w/ 350hp and 276lb/ft

So whatever the Cayman S might be better at i'm sure spending $21,000 on aftermarket upgrades could make the 370Z pretty competitive.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:14 PM
BonesZ33

i bought my 03 track 350z for 7500............. can't beat the price, performance, and reliability of a Z.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 PM
germanguy818

why would you want to go with the low end cheapest porsche..? i would never get a boxter, just because it carries the name porsche, parts, maintenance, service prices will be out the roof.... =( if u want to get a porsche, might as well do it right and get at least a carerra..dnt go with the cheapest one jus because it carries the name. it doesnt mean its good. i'd say stick with the 350z. you have way more modifications available, parts/maintencance is wayyyy cheaper and the z is an all around more fun car to drive. u dnt want to drive the cheap boxter hard, and have to worry about quickly developing wear and tear. a clutch job on a boxter is several thousand dollars...
Old 03-24-2010, 01:00 PM
dennisafrompa

Default Had 3 Boxsters...now own a Z...

why? Two engine failures due to an bad design of the intermediate shaft bearing. IF you are not looking at an '09 or newer this is a big issue.

One happened in warranty with my '02 and one out of warranty with my '04...Porsche eventually gave me a new motor...BUT it still cost me over 3 grand for a partial tear down and R&R.

Which car is better, notwithsatanding the engine issues I had, I'd say the Boxster hands down.

Handles better, feeback through steering wheel better, stops better after many brake applications on track (less fade), weighs less, carries more luggage...yes true. Did 4 cross country trips in mine with wife, no issues with carrying capacity.

Now...am I unhappy with the Z? A loud NO! I like it and for the Money it is a great value. I'm autocrossing it as I did the Boxster and it performs well but the weight and lack of suspension adjust takes its toll.

Will I buy Porsche again, probably not just because of the corporate policy of silence with this known(at least throughout the Porsche community) engine defect.

Remember this only applies to '08s and older, and yeah 911s are in the same boat enginewise, same design flaw....I have to laugh at all these folks who think the 911 is way better than the Boxster and Cayman...they share many pieces and the 911 JUST COSTS MORE. Yeah it has more HP BUT it comes at a BIG premium of price and weight and doesn't gaurantee any better handling.

Photos of my Boxster and Z...by the way I'm a 67 year old guy that's been into cars over 55 years. I've driven over a million miles too.
Attached Thumbnails A "Z" or a "boxter" ?-100_2047.jpg   A "Z" or a "boxter" ?-100_5559.jpg  
Old 03-24-2010, 01:57 PM
LeMans 05

Originally Posted by dennisafrompa
why? Two engine failures due to an bad design of the intermediate shaft bearing. IF you are not looking at an '09 or newer this is a big issue.

One happened in warranty with my '02 and one out of warranty with my '04...Porsche eventually gave me a new motor...BUT it still cost me over 3 grand for a partial tear down and R&R.

Which car is better, notwithsatanding the engine issues I had, I'd say the Boxster hands down.

Handles better, feeback through steering wheel better, stops better after many brake applications on track (less fade), weighs less, carries more luggage...yes true. Did 4 cross country trips in mine with wife, no issues with carrying capacity.

Now...am I unhappy with the Z? A loud NO! I like it and for the Money it is a great value. I'm autocrossing it as I did the Boxster and it performs well but the weight and lack of suspension adjust takes its toll.

Will I buy Porsche again, probably not just because of the corporate policy of silence with this known(at least throughout the Porsche community) engine defect.

Remember this only applies to '08s and older, and yeah 911s are in the same boat enginewise, same design flaw....I have to laugh at all these folks who think the 911 is way better than the Boxster and Cayman...they share many pieces and the 911 JUST COSTS MORE. Yeah it has more HP BUT it comes at a BIG premium of price and weight and doesn't gaurantee any better handling.

Photos of my Boxster and Z...by the way I'm a 67 year old guy that's been into cars over 55 years. I've driven over a million miles too.
Nice cars. I would love to get into a Boxster that has already had the engine replaced.

I laugh at the Boxster hate / 911 love that happens on threads like this. As you said, the Boxster and 911 share a ton of parts, except the Boxster has the engine in a better location for balance and handling. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE 911s, but to me, the 911 became a bit more luxurious with the 996/997 models, compared to the old (my favorite) 993 series. I have a client who used to own a gorgeous mid-00s Carrera 4S, and sold it for a Boxster S because the Boxster was more fun.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy an 06 SLK AMG 55 w/low mileage, for the same price as a low mileage 06 Boxster S.
If the Op was still thinking about a German Convert/Sportscar. Way better car IMHO.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Default I've...

really enjoyed both. I've owned two and driven all three.

If you can make a decision and not want more, good for you.

If you can, let me know how...

- RB.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:44 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by 08NismoZ
2010 Porsche Cayman S = $61,500 w/ 320hp and 273lb/ft
2010 Nissan 370Z Nismo = $39,190 w/ 350hp and 276lb/ft

So whatever the Cayman S might be better at i'm sure spending $21,000 on aftermarket upgrades could make the 370Z pretty competitive.
The same could be said of a Civic, eh?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:50 PM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

knowing the 350z community, most likely you would modify the car of choice.

i'm assuming that the 350z will be a easier and cheaper vehicle to modify

(never looked into the boxster)
Old 03-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c

Default You're...

Originally Posted by mini me

Each time I see a 350 z i feel something moving like when you see a beautiful woman,i have the same feeling towards the porsche boxter,not that i really can afford the latter but there is a possibility.
My question is which one offers the best for the money,any member drove a porche boxter before they bought their "z",what was your impression.
Porsches are much more expensive and high maintenance cost,is it worth it,what do you think guys, porsche or "z",
Thanks for the comments !

Michel
referring to two of the greatest creations out there.

Who are we to decide for you...

- RB.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
boxster is the gayest porsche made and very slow and should only be driven by chicks...z is way more of a car than a boxster

rsx > all , lol....

+1 I see the Boxster as a chick car, be careful you skirt dosent get stuck in your a$$ when you get out of the boxster