2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A "Z" or a "boxter" ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:57 AM
TJGILROY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys, everyone comparing all these new boxters....if you are going to compare the new boxter types, you should at least compare them with the 370...why would you ask in the post 350z to boxter...for the money...you could get a 370 nismo z and still come out a smidge under retail price of a boxter
Old 03-25-2010, 12:18 PM
zipgun

To all those who keep doing it....Repeatedly

It's Boxster NOT Boxter....

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/boxster/

Old 03-25-2010, 12:30 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Boxer

Boxer

Baxter
Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My advice...don't buy any car you can't spell.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:03 PM
nofearsuzki199

the boxters have a mid engine right behind the seat.... i was in this delimma too until i found this out.... how would you like to drop your engine everytime you change your oil... or what if you slung a rod.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:33 PM
dennisafrompa

Originally Posted by nofearsuzki199
the boxters have a mid engine right behind the seat.... i was in this delimma too until i found this out.... how would you like to drop your engine everytime you change your oil... or what if you slung a rod.
Why would you have to drop engine to change oil?....I've done it many times with just a jack and hand tools.

Really guys learn a little about these cars before you open mouth and insert foot.

Further, if you need to pull engine, which I've done, it can be accomplished in about 1 and 1/2 hours. All service including replacing belts, fuel filters, pulleys can be done with engine in car. You can also change Alternator, AC compressor and starter w/o dropping motor.

All in all no more difficult to service than the 350Z...maybe easier!

It's BOXSTER, BOXSTER, BOXSTER....and mid engine is the best, not worst feature of these cars.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 PM
TPete19

The OP asked which is the best for the money. Since the Boxster's numbers (0-60 and quarter mile) slightly slower, yet has a larger price tag (and much higher maintenence costs), I'd go with the Z. I am slightly biased after switching from a German car to my Z, but I personally won't be going back to German after experiencing the cost of repairing them.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:33 PM
BloodRedZ

I don't really understand why anyone would go with a Boxter unless you're a middle class woman....
Old 03-25-2010, 03:09 PM
LeMans 05

Nurburgring:

350Z (DE) - 8.26
986 Boxster S - 8.23
987 Boxster S - 8.18
Cayman S - 8.11

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html
Old 03-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to point out that I'm sure the German derived Boxster has spent quite a bit more time at Nurburgring than the decidedly Japanese 350z.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by zipgun
To all those who keep doing it....Repeatedly

It's Boxster NOT Boxter....

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/boxster/
I was trying to think of a clever way to mention this. Your correction is much better than anything I could think of. It's interesting that everyone here seems to be able to spell Porsche correctly since that name is often "butchered."

Originally Posted by mini me

Each time I see a 350 z i feel something moving like when you see a beautiful woman,i have the same feeling towards the porsche boxter,not that i really can afford the latter but there is a possibility.
My question is which one offers the best for the money,any member drove a porche boxter before they bought their "z",what was your impression […]
Originally Posted by JSeide36
z over boxter anyday.. the feel of the boxter is just crap to me
Originally Posted by muskillz_925
love porsche, but i always felt the boxter was a poor man's porsche.
Originally Posted by TJGILROY
you guys, everyone comparing all these new boxters....if you are going to compare the new boxter types, you should at least compare them with the 370...why would you ask in the post 350z to boxter...for the money...you could get a 370 nismo z and still come out a smidge under retail price of a boxter
Originally Posted by nofearsuzki199
Originally Posted by BloodRedZ
I don't really understand why anyone would go with a Boxter unless you're a middle class woman....
Originally Posted by muskillz_925
love porsche, but i always felt the boxter was a poor man's porsche.
…And another variation on “Boxster” and “Cayman” (please forgive me terrasmak because I really like your posts an consider your advice very valuable).
Originally Posted by terrasmak
Not if you get an S model, a stock S model Boxer or Caymen will walk away from a Z
Old 03-26-2010, 07:01 AM
TJGILROY

Einstein couldn't spell either, but i bet he could pick the best of this choice, go with the Z dude...you won't regret it
Old 03-26-2010, 09:03 AM
sir captian

If you get a Boxster get a Boxster "S".The regular boxster dosent have enough hp.Its a well built car and has a nice smooth ride.I've driven both models.Id take a Caymen over one though.Where I live only women or men over 50 drive Boxsters.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:53 AM
TJGILROY

Originally Posted by sir captian
If you get a Boxster get a Boxster "S".The regular boxster dosent have enough hp.Its a well built car and has a nice smooth ride.I've driven both models.Id take a Caymen over one though.Where I live only women or men over 50 drive Boxsters.
haha...oh you Boxster fanboys....need to teach your boys before you start getting on us...

and who's to say all of us didn't dumb it down for the post man since he started the post with Boxter
Old 03-26-2010, 10:28 AM
elms350Z

If you are talking about purchasing it used, what year? If you're looking for something around 2005 then go 350Z. If you are talking about buying new then only go Boxster S its basically a Cayman S with a soft top. If you cannot afford the S then go 370 or 350 HR hands down.

Last edited by elms350Z; 03-26-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:30 AM
solar_n_orange

My lawyer has a Boxster. I thinks its an 01 or 02. It's had some performance mods done to it. I don't exactly know what. I know he's had it in for a few stage 2 upgrades. Anyways one day we decided to trade for cars and I must say his Boxster really was fun to drive. It was a really smooth car. I used to hate on his Boxster all the time asking him if it was his or his wife's car. Bot now I must say I wouldn't mind owning one.

That being said I wouldn't trade my Z in for one.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:32 AM
gtstephenson

I am another older Z owner (65) that has been into cars all my life. Have always had a sports car whenever possible. Have had a couple of Porsche in my younger years. I loved them. My old 944 was best. Not fast at all but it handled great. Liked the way it looked and had plenty of capacity for two people to take a trip. The down side was reliability and expense in maintenance. I'm really fussy with keeping my cars in top condition. I had 200K miles on the car when I sold it. I just needed a car that was going to be trip ready at any time and my old car just was getting tired.

The Z is also a great car. It's cheaper to own by far. It's more reliable by far. My Z is better performing by far but then it's newer technology. It's not as comfortable which is not a problem for me but my wife doesn't like riding in my Z. The Z is my daily driver. I don't beat the car but can't help 'going thru the gears' now and then. And the Z loves corners.

Could I spend more on a car? Yes. But why would I when the Z represents a very nice ride at a reasonable cost. I think the word is value.

Tom Stephenson

Originally Posted by dennisafrompa
why? Two engine failures due to an bad design of the intermediate shaft bearing. IF you are not looking at an '09 or newer this is a big issue.

One happened in warranty with my '02 and one out of warranty with my '04...Porsche eventually gave me a new motor...BUT it still cost me over 3 grand for a partial tear down and R&R.

Which car is better, notwithsatanding the engine issues I had, I'd say the Boxster hands down.

Handles better, feeback through steering wheel better, stops better after many brake applications on track (less fade), weighs less, carries more luggage...yes true. Did 4 cross country trips in mine with wife, no issues with carrying capacity.

Now...am I unhappy with the Z? A loud NO! I like it and for the Money it is a great value. I'm autocrossing it as I did the Boxster and it performs well but the weight and lack of suspension adjust takes its toll.

Will I buy Porsche again, probably not just because of the corporate policy of silence with this known(at least throughout the Porsche community) engine defect.

Remember this only applies to '08s and older, and yeah 911s are in the same boat enginewise, same design flaw....I have to laugh at all these folks who think the 911 is way better than the Boxster and Cayman...they share many pieces and the 911 JUST COSTS MORE. Yeah it has more HP BUT it comes at a BIG premium of price and weight and doesn't gaurantee any better handling.

Photos of my Boxster and Z...by the way I'm a 67 year old guy that's been into cars over 55 years. I've driven over a million miles too.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:42 PM
mini me

Originally Posted by bluelineshooter
You're a retard for asking a question like that on here.
Thanks Dude,very nice comment !
Should I ask the question on the Porsche forum ah! ah!
I don't give a **** that you're calling me a retard because i just finished Med school and i'm going to be a brain surgeon soon. I hope i'll have you as a patient so i can reconnect your brain properly,think about that.
If the boxster is a chick car,how come i've never seen a chick driving one ??
I was just interested in comments from Z owners that drove both cars.
Most of your comments made sense except a few retards but i was expecting that.
After all i will probably check the 370,why not. I like sports car and it's a matter of test driving them and beeing able to afford the cost of repair also.
I might change my mind about the Porsche based on costs. Love the z.
Thanks to the guys who made sense in their comments,and remember don't judge a person because he'a asking a question,i like cars like all of you.
Happy motoring in your Z.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:47 PM
mini me

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
My advice...don't buy any car you can't spell.
That was a typo,just for you i'll type it properly "BOXSTER" are you happy now !!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:17 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by mini me
i just finished Med school and i'm going to be a brain surgeon soon.
If you just finished med school, then you have a long ways to go before becoming a surgeon. You won't be one soon.