Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A "Z" or a "boxter" ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:59 PM
SnyzzleZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMans 05
A Boxster S, which I was referring to, will beat any stock Z. Better handling, faster acceleration. Even the first gen S, with 258hp, 0-60 in 5.1. Second gen Boxsters are under 5.

Less space - not really, you have both the front and rear trunks. Not like the Z is spacious. And to compare convertibles, the ZR has practically no trunk.

IMO, looks are subjective.

Cost more to own - I had to have a tranny replaced on my Z, tires are just as expensive, etc. General maintenance may be a bit more than the Z, but they are both performance cars, and the Z isn't exactly cheap.

Middle age women's cars? Sign me up for some saggin' t!ts. Sounds like a good car to drive.

$.02. Carry on. Just don't expect me to hold the Z to the almighty status some of you around here do. Nice car, liked it a lot, but not perfect.
i dont understand.. you asked for our opinons and then you bash the reason i gave you.. im sorry i have really never been impressed with the boxster.. from the style to the big price tag.. what're you really paying for.. oh yea the porsche emblem on the front. now there are other porsches i love but until i hit the lotto they will remain dream cars ..
Old 03-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Hexxus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or watch it get caught in the door and leaves you naked after it's ripped off.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

If your question is which is better, the Nissan Z or the Porsche Boxster (and I rate the Cayman nearly equivalent to the Boxster); I would say this: Right out of the box (i.e., a new and unmodified vehicle) the Boxster is superior because the Boxster is lighter, more nimble, and has a better finished look and equipment list.

But, there is a lot more to consider when comparing these two cars since they don’t actually compete directly with one another. Why? Because the majority of Porsche buyers keep the car nearly stock, and Z buyers often add modifications.
  • A Porsche buyer purchases the car (paying a lot more than a Z buyer), and keeps the car nearly “stock.”
  • A Z buyer purchases the car, and typically begins the modification process.
The Z comes fairly plain (think of it as a palette unto which you “paint” improvements).
  • Z Owners who are more interested in the track add engine, wheel and tire, and suspension mods.
  • If appearance is your preference, you add body kits, great looking wheels, and other mods making your Z car unique and attractive.
  • People who are interested in A/V love the Z for its plethora of cubby’s and mounting positions for amps, LCD screens, speakers, SubW’s, etc.

So here’s my thought:
  • If you have plenty of dough for the initial purchase and ongoing maintenance, and you are not interested in modifications; get the Boxster. It’s a terrific car that handles and drives exceptionally well, and provides pride in ownership. It’s a great car.
  • If you want a two seat sport car that has a modest entry level price, very reasonable maintenance costs, and provides a wonderful upgrade experience (where you add the mods you want to create the best car for you), buy the Z.
--Spike
Old 03-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Well said Spike100!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Exotic_350z
Banned

Hey man - watch TOP GEAR on youtube and type each model in.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 PM
chitownpete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you care what people think do not buy a Boxster. Porsche guys will say "why didn't you buy a real Porsche", so will guys who are jealous. I love the Boxster
and found it way more comfy than a 911 and it sounds great but it just couldn't
justify its price to me. I was going to buy a 911 but the no-tilt steering wheel was a deal killer, I couldn't clear my knees- too tight. The Z fits me the best. Take a test drive and ignore everyone if you have enough cash to buy a new motor in reserve.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR
^^ Well said Spike100!
Hi Doc… Thanks for kind words.

I have a lot of experience with Porsche, but mostly in the past.
  • My first Porsche was a 356. That model looks like an inverted soap dish. It was an air-cooled rear engine car. It handled well by the “standards” in the early 1960’s, but the over-steer was awful, and it was mostly a Volkswagen Bug in Porsche “clothing.”
  • The next Porsche I drove was the 912 (the precursor to the 911). The 912 was 4 cylinder air-cooled rear-engine. The engine was wimpy, but handling was much better than the 356. It was no longer a Bug in Porsche “clothing.” But, the over-steer and lousy handling that you get with a rear-engine car was still there. The little 4 cylinder engine was the “safety device” that kept you on the road.
  • In the early 70’s, I went to a 911. The more powerful engine and better quality car made this model attractive. But, you still had the awful over-steer. People began calling the car the “doctor killer.”
By the late 1980’s and early 1990’s Porsche became a confused automaker. The 911’s price went all over the place (from really expensive to fairly reasonable). Many Porsche owners (me included) abandoned the brand simply because it was nearly impossible to place a value on the car.

By 1995 Porsche finally decided to continue with the rear-engine model, and make it very expensive. Owners and new buyers were happy (I was long gone by that time), but the market was so small the car became unaffordable for most people. And, the 911 had a very elaborate and costly suspension to support the rear-engine (with its weight behind the rear wheels) mitigating this awful arrangement.

So, Porsche tested the market with a mid-engine car (the Boxster) hoping it’s loyal buyers would see the wisdom of abandoning the rear-engine 911 model (which now had even more weight behind the rear wheels because it was now water-cooled instead of the lighter weight air-cooled engine). Guess what happened? The core buyer with lots of dough still wanted the old rear-engine car. That was for stupid, but Porsche was forced to continue this antiquated design. The Boxster, Cayman, and exotic Porsches are now mid-engine; but the rear-engine model still exists for the die-hards.

Datsun and Nissan Z’s
I can’t remember the dates or models of the early Z sport car. Maybe someone else can help me here. To the best of my recollection the first model was the Datsun 240Z released near about 1970. It was a great car with better handling and a better engine than the competing Porsche’s.

The Datsun series progressed through the 250, 260, 250, 280, 300ZX… I can’t remember exactly. Anyway, the car died in 1995 when it was at its prime with twin turbos in the 300ZX and a great suspension simply because it became more expensive than people were willing to pay for a Japanese car that was a “Porsche Killer.”

Mercifully the Datsun Z was resurrected by Nissan as the new Z in 2003. And the introduction was very successful. Remember that people were paying a premium for the car in California.

So… Why was the new 2003 Z so successful?
  • Nissan was smart. Instead of creating a new design that departed from the rest of the Nissan line, the Z was a front engine car with rear wheel drive. That made it compatible with the rest of Nissan’s cars so that the engine and the other basic components could be shared across the line. Now the Z was better, but not expensive.
  • Certainly creating a new design (maybe a mid-engine car with a turbo) was a possibility (and now a reality… hello to the Nissan GT-R), but Nissan learned from its 1995 experience with the expensive and last generation Z that people stopped buying when they do not perceive value to cost.
  • The 350/370 Z’s purchase price is affordable, and the ongoing maintenance cost is similar to a Honda, Toyota, or any other economy car. You are going to spend about what you would maintaining a Nissan Altima.
  • When you buy a 350/370 Z, you have a production car that is track-capable.
  • There is a plethora of custom mods available for the car, all the way from inexpensive to elaborate. You can modify the car easily and inexpensively, on a timeline that matches your budget.

If you want an entry level sports car that you can turn-into anything you want on a controlled budget and time line, the Z is your best choice.

--Spike
Old 03-24-2010, 06:29 PM
muskillz_925

love porsche, but i always felt the boxter was a poor man's porsche.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by chitownpete
If you care what people think do not buy a Boxster. Porsche guys will say "why didn't you buy a real Porsche", so will guys who are jealous. I love the Boxster
and found it way more comfy than a 911 and it sounds great but it just couldn't
justify its price to me. I was going to buy a 911 but the no-tilt steering wheel was a deal killer, I couldn't clear my knees- too tight. The Z fits me the best. Take a test drive and ignore everyone if you have enough cash to buy a new motor in reserve.
Originally Posted by muskillz_925
love porsche, but i always felt the boxter was a poor man's porsche.
Good points.

What really bothers 911 owners: 911 owners hate that the Boxster and Cayman have nearly identical front-configurations as the 911.

If you are viewing the car only from the front (looking at the hood and the headlights), the 911 looks very much like the Boxster/Cayman, and people confuse the models… and 911 owners get upset with this.

Here’s a way to have some fun: If you know a 911 owner and have occasion to be standing with the person near the front of his/her car, compliment the owner on how attractive is their Boxster. I guarantee that you will get an immediate correction (“That’s a 911!”). You will literally hear the gnashing of their teeth.

Fun stuff to play on people who over-value image…

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 03-24-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 PM
08NismoZ

Wink

Originally Posted by HDPDZO6
The same could be said of a Civic, eh?
haha no it would be more like comparing an S2000 to a 350Z and all other rear wheel drive cars. It's hard to compare cars that don't have the same drivetrain and engine setups.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:56 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by 08NismoZ
haha no it would be more like comparing an S2000 to a 350Z and all other rear wheel drive cars. It's hard to compare cars that don't have the same drivetrain and engine setups.
I was commenting more on the ricer mentality displayed. Cash can make anything go fast.

You compared only the hp/tq vs price between the two vehicles, but completely ignored everything else.

I'm no big fan of Porsche, but I do know the Caymen S is an extremely capable sports car.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Sor

Boxster, the poor mans Porsche. Boxsters are: Slower, uglier and more expensive than Z's. Enough said.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:03 PM
fonz1350z

the boxter is the "hers" edition of the porche world...... wake up go with the z
Old 03-25-2010, 03:18 AM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by mini me
I know,maybe i should ask if anybody test drove a Boxster and bought a "Z" afterwards and why did they settle on the "z" like your comment that says it's a better car all around,etc..
If I get a "Z" it will be a latest new 350 left in the dust somewhere in a dealership "cause the 370 is out. Not too confident about buying used,i had two bad experiences with preowned cars,i got robbed and lied to,no more used cars for me.
Thanks
I did a writeup on a 370Z and Boxster I drove down in Arizona. I wouldn't buy a 986 Boxster (97-04) simply because the interior is horrendous. It's not aesthetically pleasing. However the 987 (05+) Boxster is a huge improvement and I would recommend someone to buy that easily but not so much over the 370Z.

https://my350z.com/forum/other-vehic...2-seaters.html
Old 03-25-2010, 05:28 AM
bluelineshooter

You're a retard for asking a question like that on here.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:50 AM
zipgun

OP.. Who cares? Get what you want..Who gives a crap what a bunch of complete strangers think?

When you go shopping? Do you turn and ask people if you should buy boxers or briefs?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:01 AM
lilpud

Originally Posted by Spike100
Good points.

What really bothers 911 owners: 911 owners hate that the Boxster and Cayman have nearly identical front-configurations as the 911.

If you are viewing the car only from the front (looking at the hood and the headlights), the 911 looks very much like the Boxster/Cayman, and people confuse the models… and 911 owners get upset with this.

Here’s a way to have some fun: If you know a 911 owner and have occasion to be standing with the person near the front of his/her car, compliment the owner on how attractive is their Boxster. I guarantee that you will get an immediate correction (“That’s a 911!”). You will literally hear the gnashing of their teeth.

Fun stuff to play on people who over-value image…

--Spike

^

yes this is true about people that have 911s that just freak when you call their car a boxster.. but this happend to me just the other day. I was at sonic and the chick came up and gave me my food and said wow i like these new "eclipse"........ i just laugh and said no dear this is not a new eclipse haha

how wow you feel if your Z got called a Mitsubishi Eclipse by a fat chick at sonic?? HAHA
Old 03-25-2010, 07:17 AM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I test drove a 2006 Cayman S a few years ago and overall it felt very similar to the 2004 Enthusiast I had (which later sold). Interior was better, shifting felt a little more precise, and the car held a higher speed at the same RPM compared to the Z. The Cayman was a better car in my opinion, but definitely wasn't worth the $65K price tag. I don't know whether the current Boxster or Cayman are significantly better than the 350Z or 370Z, but I can't justify the asking price.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 AM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

try to justify all you want with facts that a boxster and 911 are almost equal. it can share all it wants with a 911
just doesn't look like a mans car
this isn't ignorance
understand this is just my opinion.

if i could put it in different terms:
they have women's jeans and men's jeans - as a man which one are you going to buy and wear.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:49 AM
ZRated67

I love my Z, but I've also owned Porsches, and there is no comparison. This new Boxster Spyder is Amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp3t64t395g