Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Got pulled over...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:53 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Orange has been cracking down lately, I would think there would be a cert of some sorts for your exhaust. Maybe on the CARB website, I think they have a list of "CARB approved" exhaust.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:06 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
Orange has been cracking down lately, I would think there would be a cert of some sorts for your exhaust. Maybe on the CARB website, I think they have a list of "CARB approved" exhaust.
Exhaust are all carb legal as long as they exit in the stock location. Its the noise they are concersed with. Do you even know what CARB is ?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee R
I just work behind the scenes Sir....not in the front.
Si se senor, but I still LOL'd
Old 04-19-2010, 09:40 PM
andrew's 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i live in so-cal as well and i use to have a maxima with tinted tails. they are illegal and u will have to get stock lights for the cop to right u off. have u checked to see if it is tint?? some people tint them with window tint and u might be able to peel it off. hopfully its not that spray ****. as for the exhaust its legal. i had a nismo exhaust a while back and had the same problem with a cop and i went to nissan and they will give a a letter explaining it is a performance stock exhaust. hope this helps. u need a radar.. maybe a passport?? ahah
Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 PM
racerxj17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they tails dont show red through them clearly, they are illegal. for the exhaust, all it has to be is modified to amplify noise (which the nismo is). the exhaust you should be able to explain, the tinted tails are a no go...
Old 04-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Maxima SE

it doesnt matter if its a factory nissan part or not, anything nissan would give you is pretty useless. its only legal if everything else in the exhaust system is stock, if not, it automatically makes it illegal for becoming too loud and what not. you have to take your car to the state referee to do a decibal reading and then if it passes, they give you a certificate that you take to CHP to get the ticket signed off and then you take that to the court to dismiss. this is pretty much your only way out. been there done that. its pretty patethic how they can issue a citation without doing a reading.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:09 PM
LVZ053

I am willing to switch you my stock exhaust for your nismo, free of charge.
Anything to help a fellow member.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:08 AM
glenns280

cali is broke, so they are going to ticket you for anything they can
Old 04-20-2010, 11:20 AM
King350Z

Yeah brutha cali sucks. Fortunately I know a Sergeant and Norwalk Sheriff's station who signed it off for me, as well as the many deputies I work with who would have done so in a delightful fashion =). But, I'm assuming you don't know any cops to sign it off for you =( I would just be careful driving around town. Ever since I gt pulled over twice for my exhaust, I tend to drive a lot more cautiously through the city. Until I get my badge, I just have to mind my surroundings and keep my driving tame while there are cops around. But Having a nismo v3 bumper with X02 exhaust is a dead give away lol. Very obvious
Old 04-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxima SE
it doesnt matter if its a factory nissan part or not, anything nissan would give you is pretty useless. its only legal if everything else in the exhaust system is stock, if not, it automatically makes it illegal for becoming too loud and what not. you have to take your car to the state referee to do a decibal reading and then if it passes, they give you a certificate that you take to CHP to get the ticket signed off and then you take that to the court to dismiss. this is pretty much your only way out. been there done that. its pretty patethic how they can issue a citation without doing a reading.

^^This.

As for the tinted tails, the state/police don't care if you bought the car set up that way. It becomes your responsibility to fix/correct any illegal modifications once you take possession.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the big deal? how much is the damn ticket...like 45 bucks??? if its only that just pay it and get it over with. If it is like hundreds then i'd go to the dealer and get a print up of when it was installed ( if by dealer) and get a print out that they sell it and it is 50 state legal as well. So when you go to court for this BS you have everything you need to make the case a WIN situation! there is probably more you can get but its to much to type.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

New California traffic fines:
https://my350z.com/forum/southern-ca...fic-fines.html

VC 27150(A and B)
$178 Adequate muffler required
Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I get a kick out of how rediculous California has become with some of their laws. It's been an ongoing thing for some time now and is only getting worse. Just to give you an idea of how long they've been cracking down on tuners, I lived in Orange county back from 1995-1997. I recieved a ticket back then for my fog lights on my 97 Eclipse not being more than 12 inches off the pavement. It was their way of citing me for a 1 inch drop on 17's. Give me a break...

Last edited by VO...; 04-20-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by LVZ053
I am willing to switch you my stock exhaust for your nismo, free of charge.
Anything to help a fellow member.
lol
Old 04-20-2010, 01:52 PM
NewJoyZ

California sucks........ "and thats all i have to say about that".

I know for a fact that in NJ and MA, you do not need a cop to sign off on a "rectified" citation, nor is there an inspection of the car. So long as you bring receipts and/or pictures of the car fixed, the judge will dismiss. Usually he doesnt even look at the receipts or the pictures, as long as you say you have them, he tells you to get out of sight and not waste any more time.

Im staying on the east coast, damn hippies out there.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Michla22

ROLF @ California.....
Old 04-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
I recieved a ticket back then for my fog lights on my 97 Eclipse not being more than 12 inches off the pavement. It was their way of citing me for a 1 inch drop on 17's. Give me a break...
Okay, so I understand tint laws for the protection of the officer and noise regulations on cars because I don't like hearing that raspy nonsense anymore than the next guy. But WTF is this all about? Fog lights not being a foot of the ground? I don't get that one at all...

I used to have a drop on my old SC2 and I'm willing to bet my fog lamps were less than 12 inches off the ground. I couldn't even have GUESSED that was illegal.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Zeeless

Yeah California is the ONLY state with exhaust laws

I used to work for a large exhaust manufacturer. As much as it sucks, it's up to the officers discretion on exhaust notes. Most likely, doing a "0-60 pull" is definitely going to grab some attention. Your only option is to schedule a referee appointment and go that avenue. Once you do that you can show that document anytime you get pulled over. Nissan, most likely won't be able to help you, ESPECIALLY if you have any other modifications like intakes or HFCs. Those all change the tone of the exhaust.

BTW...CARB will have nothing to do with catbacks because of the fact that it does not modify the emissions system.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Maxima SE

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
what is the big deal? how much is the damn ticket...like 45 bucks??? if its only that just pay it and get it over with. If it is like hundreds then i'd go to the dealer and get a print up of when it was installed ( if by dealer) and get a print out that they sell it and it is 50 state legal as well. So when you go to court for this BS you have everything you need to make the case a WIN situation! there is probably more you can get but its to much to type.

$45 for an exhaus ticket? sounds like a bargain. once again, there is state ref to handle all the BS. any paperwork outside of state ref certificate is useless junk. even if you do take paperwork from nismo/nissan to the judge, who's to say that he wont turn around and make you prove that you do actually have a legit nismo exhaust and not some crap a muffler shop bolted up for you. what will you tell the judge then?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

More reasons CA sucks.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over...