Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Dealership left driver's side window down. Car badly rained in.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:20 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,

I am going to disagree with you here. I think that insurance will cover all "accidents"
related to the car. Insurance is not purely for collisions/accidents.

Each policy is different though. Make sure to read yours.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 AM
carbon z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was my car I would have went to the dealer and did a good look to see how wet it was. Seat or seats, how wet, is the padding affected. Power seats, heated seats. Did it mess up the electronics. Drivers door, power windows, remote mirrors, door locks, are they waterproof. Was the steering column wet, cruise control, horn ring, air bags. Did it get into the dash area, fuse box, instrumentation. I am a mechanic by trade, specializing in electronics. I ask these questions because the wetter the more attention it needs. The dealer would need to file a repair order stating that any future problems relating to the RO#-------/4-23-2010, will be handled in a timley fashion, including free use of a rental vehicle. I would take this to the store manager, your happiness and word of mouth should be important to the dealer. Water damage/flood damaged cars can take years to show problems. When you go in Tuesday, make sure you don't sign off completely.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:31 PM
TPete19

Originally Posted by lgear080
I am going to disagree with you here. I think that insurance will cover all "accidents"
related to the car. Insurance is not purely for collisions/accidents.
Definitely have it go through the dealership's insurance. This will enable an outside party do the clean-up and you won't have to worry about the dealership trying to cut corners. Every business has insurance to cover themselves for these types of incidents. This way you should have some choice on who cleans up your ride, the dealership shouldn't be angry because they won't have to pay any employees to clean it, and everything will be documented and covered in the long run.

It's not the same as when you are in an accident with a private party. The premiums the business pays are not going to hurt their bottom line like the average joe's personal insurance.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:41 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I doubt the dealer would involve his insurance either, his deductable is probably in the 5K to 10K range.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:51 PM
lgear080

that is likely correct though. call your insurance company and discuss.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:52 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevehl
Are you drunk? He said he dropped it off friday evening and they called him sat morning about the rain friday night. Why would he pick it up sat night when the interior is wet???
Not drunk though I fell like a TARd. I wonder if this what it feels like to have attended public skOOlz??
Old 04-26-2010, 02:29 PM
MDaniel22

I mentioned, get it in writing what happend. If any future problems arise due to this it should be taken care of by the dealer.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:36 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Insurance? The car wasn't in an accident. I doubt insurance would cover negligence on anybodys part.
But it was in an accident. They accidentally left the window open and it got soaked with water.

I think getting the insurance company involved is a good idea.. also getting the incident/resolution in writing.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:59 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That's negligence, not an accident.

Get your insurance company involved and they'll be glad to add a record to Carfax for you. Then when you try to trade or sell the car, people will automatically assume a reduced value because of the "accident" it was in.

The thing I've been wondering about is why would the dealer put the window down in the first place. Most places close up and lock cars to protect them while in their custody. Maybe OP left the window down when dropping it off.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 04-26-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:07 PM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stinky interior for sure
Old 04-26-2010, 03:08 PM
eddogz

Get your insurance company involved and they'll be glad to add a record to Carfax for you. Then when you try to trade or sell the car, people will automatically assume a reduced value because of the "accident" it was in.

The thing I've been wondering about is why would the dealer put the window down in the first place. Most places close up and lock cars to protect them while in their custody. Maybe OP left the window down when dropping it off.
Probably to avoid accidentally locking the car with the keys inside.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:13 PM
bloodwings19

A major +1. Once insurance pays for it, the record will go against you and the value of the Z will drop significantly. The dealer's insurance will likely cover their mistake. Here is something other Z owners can learn, try not at all possible to leave the car overnight. If you do, the possibility of the car being played around is very high.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:28 PM
AnhDepTrai

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard
Not drunk though I fell like a TARd. I wonder if this what it feels like to have attended public skOOlz??
Don't take it to serious, Stand.

Steve is just trying to be Nice in his OWN way.

Insurance has two different types of Coverages (Heres Two Main):

-Collision
-Comprehensive

Might want to do some Insurance research.
Now you wonder why a lot of people are just throwing/handing money at/to these Mega Million Dollar Companies.

Kenny
Old 04-26-2010, 03:35 PM
FineWine

A good insurance company will still cover it if you have compreshensive coverage. I know mine would, without question. If your insurance company refuses to cover it outright, I would switch.

If someone threw a lit match in the car with the window down, you would expect the insurance to cover it. Same thing with weather.

That is a valid concern, but having documentation on the repair and resolution would completely counter this for a serious buyer.

Probably, but they already admitted fault outright, so...
Old 04-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Zing!

zing!!!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Zing!

Originally Posted by FineWine

Probably, but they already admitted fault outright, so...

ding ding ding! I worked for a toyota dealership for over 2 years as a service porter(i parked cars for the techs) and on a couple occasions there was water damage(albiet sunroof,windows left open by customers) it was apart of your job to close all windows and lock the doors after exiting the car...very rarely were you souppose to leave the keys in the ignition, only if the key wouldnt come out, ignition issues...in which the tech WOULD personally take the car to his bay immediately. whomever left the window(s) down is responsible...which hes covered by the companies insurance plan...we had certain people that could drive the "expensive" cars...ie supras,landcruisers, exotics
Old 04-26-2010, 06:27 PM
nofearsuzki199

what if all your switches and speakers got wet... i'd want 10% and a lil suckie suckie love me long time!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Toasterflyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the dealership needs to pop the door panel off and dry as much as they can..then leave off for the door to air dry.. then also replace the window motor.. replace the seat and carpet... Then leave the option to bring the car back for repair just in case issues should arrive.. like an odd smell or mold/rust etc.

Best thing you can do is realize mistakes happened and don't be too pissed off while talking with the guy..They will be more inclined to agree with what
you would like them to do regarding the car.

hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Tai_lee
So I dropped my car off at the Dealership Friday evening to be serviced for a 30,000 mile routine maintenance. They parked my car outside and the driver's side window was left half way down. I got a call Saturday morning from the dealership saying they left my window down and the car got rained in from the bad weather that night (there was a freaking thunderstorm). They went on to say they will clean it and so forth and will have to keep it till Monday afternoon. They have given me a rental car to use in the meantime.

Question, if this happened to you what would you do? When I pick up my car Monday should I ask for some type documentation mentioning this event? Ask for 10% discount for their mishap?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok to everyone saying "call your insurance company"...uhhhh no, are you crazy?

First of all, you dont even know if anything been damaged or not. Why call your insurance?
Second, even if there is damage you NEVER should call your insurance company when someone else did the damage. The only way your insurance company would look into the problem would be if you filed a claim...again, why would you file a claim with YOUR insurance company.
Third, the dealership already admitted fault and said they would take care of it. Best thing to do is get paperwork and take your car back when its done. If theres something wrong after you receive the car (smell, electronics, etc.) then take it back and make them fix it. Not a big deal.
Forth, if you make your insurance company work for you to pressure the dealership (again the only way they will do this is if you file a claim), you get a mark on your policy.
And again, why would you need to "pressure" the dealership when they admitted to their mistake and is taking care of the problem.

I would only involve my insurance company if the dealership failed or refused to fix the problem. Then I'd get the car fixed through my insurance and then make them battle the dealership.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 PM
CRXtoZ

IMO. It's always best to call your insurance whenever you have a situation involving something they're covering. You don't neccesarly need to file a claim but you need to make them aware of the incident just in case they need to step in later. In this case he's not at fault, so I dont see how/why his insurance will increase if they're not paying for the damages.

Originally Posted by Flee0588
Ok to everyone saying "call your insurance company"...uhhhh no, are you crazy?

First of all, you dont even know if anything been damaged or not. Why call your insurance?
Second, even if there is damage you NEVER should call your insurance company when someone else did the damage. The only way your insurance company would look into the problem would be if you filed a claim...again, why would you file a claim with YOUR insurance company.
Third, the dealership already admitted fault and said they would take care of it. Best thing to do is get paperwork and take your car back when its done. If theres something wrong after you receive the car (smell, electronics, etc.) then take it back and make them fix it. Not a big deal.
Forth, if you make your insurance company work for you to pressure the dealership (again the only way they will do this is if you file a claim), you get a mark on your policy.
And again, why would you need to "pressure" the dealership when they admitted to their mistake and is taking care of the problem.

I would only involve my insurance company if the dealership failed or refused to fix the problem. Then I'd get the car fixed through my insurance and then make them battle the dealership.

Quick Reply: Dealership left driver's side window down. Car badly rained in.