Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Front bumper chips

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003 | 08:40 AM
350zluvr

Had my silverstone baby for about 4 months before I put on the clearbra last week. Noticed small chips here and there and one deep chip protruding into the paint. Decided to put it on before winter comes (Z iz my daily driver) in order to protect the paint that is still there. Ofcourse with my situation the damage done is not easily visible due to the color and amount of damage.
Old 11-06-2003 | 01:17 PM
BigBadBuford

Here are the chips on the rocker panels. I just took the pic and it is raining, but you can see how the paint is worn down around the bottom and it is like that in 4 places. I don't know if splash guards would help, but I would like to do something. I think I will end up getting it repainted because it looks like crap.
Old 09-08-2005 | 06:40 PM
hitop

Yikes, I just got my Z a couple of days ago and thought I did a good visual inspection of the car, but after I got the cars back from the detailer today I noticed a whole bunch of white specks on the lower part of front bumper and thought it was paint. After trying to rub it out it was apparent these were freakin' little dings. Sh*t, this sucks a$$ big time.
Old 09-08-2005 | 08:41 PM
showstoppertk

Originally Posted by hitop
Yikes, I just got my Z a couple of days ago and thought I did a good visual inspection of the car, but after I got the cars back from the detailer today I noticed a whole bunch of white specks on the lower part of front bumper and thought it was paint. After trying to rub it out it was apparent these were freakin' little dings. Sh*t, this sucks a$$ big time.
welcome to the wonderful world of crappy nissan paint If you bought your Z new I'd take it directly back to the dealer and demand they fix it, then drive straight to a clear bra installer. if your dealer tries to give you that "its due to aggresive driving (which seems like one of their trained excuses) or thats just how it is" speeches I'd walk over to the sales side and talk to your sales guy or the dealership manager. on a side note, getting my bumper repainted at a body shop hasn't alleviated my chipping problem since the paint shops pretty much follow the nissan mix code (for color matching) and pretty much end up with the same crap quality paint mixture. so it seems like the only answer is to get a clear bra (which means you might as well tack another $500+ onto the initial cost of buying your Z) oh well...sorry bout the rant.
Old 09-08-2005 | 09:39 PM
hitop

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
welcome to the wonderful world of crappy nissan paint
No doubt, the paint job on my integra was superb. Actually I bought my 03 SS Track used. I noticed after the wax job the surface of my car didn't have that "soft as a baby's a$$" kind of feel like my teg did.
Old 09-08-2005 | 09:59 PM
Z_Driver
Master
Premier Member

Yeah, I noticed this right off the bat with 4 small nicks and I am one of those drivers that backs way off of trucks and cars on dirty roads etc... I bought one of these Colgan Bras for $90 (below). I use it when I am driving around town. On the back country road with no one around or during touring events it comes off. It only takes like 2 minutes to take off or put on. I like the fix of it. It looks OK with my rear black spoiler. It kinda balances it out a bit.
My wife actually like the way it looks better with the bra on. But, what does she know.

I saw a guy with one on he 350Z the other day. He had a black car. I didn't even notice it until like the third time I looked at his car. We were cruisin' side by side looking at each others car and throwin' the thumbs up to each other.

In comparision I have driven my Firebird for 8 years and have two really small ding/nicks from really hard hits on the bumper.

She looks better with her bra off of course:

Last edited by Z_Driver; 09-08-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2005 | 12:19 AM
showstoppertk

yup and for those of you who haven't yet had the experience of paint chips here is what you have to look forward to (and no one is immuned unless you have a bra of some sort or don't drive your Z).

Old 09-09-2005 | 06:00 AM
superblackZ720

I have so many F**KING paint chips on the front bumper I wish I got a damn clearbra the day i bought the car.
Old 09-09-2005 | 08:00 AM
mchong75

STOP offroading with the Z and stay on the paved roads.

I know, I know.....smartass!
Old 09-09-2005 | 09:15 AM
ZZ33bOI

YOU HAVE A ROCK EATTER TOOO??? hahah dont trip man were all on the same boat..my front bumper loves the rocks tooo...i never like bra's so i rather i just put away extra 50 bucks a month and after couple months with lots of chips mark i just get it repainted...
Old 09-09-2005 | 10:48 AM
milanista

Originally Posted by mecinoid
Yeah, I noticed this right off the bat with 4 small nicks and I am one of those drivers that backs way off of trucks and cars on dirty roads etc... I bought one of these Colgan Bras for $90 (below). I use it when I am driving around town. On the back country road with no one around or during touring events it comes off. It only takes like 2 minutes to take off or put on. I like the fix of it. It looks OK with my rear black spoiler. It kinda balances it out a bit.
My wife actually like the way it looks better with the bra on. But, what does she know.

I saw a guy with one on he 350Z the other day. He had a black car. I didn't even notice it until like the third time I looked at his car. We were cruisin' side by side looking at each others car and throwin' the thumbs up to each other.

In comparision I have driven my Firebird for 8 years and have two really small ding/nicks from really hard hits on the bumper.

She looks better with her bra off of course:

Mecinoid, I also purchased a colgan 2-piece bra like yours, but if I install the hood piece, I can't close the hood. Where are you connecting the straps with the little hooks under the hood? Is there a special trick to it? Please help...Thanks...
Old 09-09-2005 | 11:10 AM
350zroadster

blast from the past
Old 09-09-2005 | 11:15 AM
davidv

Yes. 31,100 miles and the front bumper has a lot of chips.
Old 09-09-2005 | 12:49 PM
ZZ33bOI

Like i say at the end of the month throw in $50 in a FRONT buMPER RE-paINT mONEY! after couple months ull get enough to repaint..just make sure u find a local paint shop that does good work..i been goin to this guy since the first time i started driving..MATCHES the paint perfect..he will even run to the DEALER and buy the NISSAN OEM PAINT FOR a lil extra..to make sure it MATCHES...so iTs ALLL GOOOD FOR ME...
Old 09-11-2005 | 08:28 PM
350zjedi

I am located in GA any one recomend a 3m Clear Bra installer ? How much should I expect to pay?
thanks Please PM
Old 09-11-2005 | 08:52 PM
Insanemonkeyboy

Just out of curiousity. I've seen the clear bra kit on ebay for a lot cheaper. Is it possible to install it yourself? has anyone tried?
Old 09-11-2005 | 09:00 PM
Z_Driver
Master
Premier Member

milanista- There are two slots you put the s-hooks into on the backside of the hood.

Then you drop the hood from about 24" high. Closes nice and tight. I was shown this when I bought it. The other thing you can do is loosen the hood latch a bit and raise it. However, then with the Bra off it has a bigger gap between the hood and the front fascia/bumper.

I know it sound a little scary but it is padded and hasn't cause a problem over the two years I have owned it.

PM me if you want further help or adjustment. I would be glad to help and it looks like we live pretty close to each other.
Old 09-12-2005 | 07:03 AM
milanista

Originally Posted by mecinoid
milanista- There are two slots you put the s-hooks into on the backside of the hood.

Then you drop the hood from about 24" high. Closes nice and tight. I was shown this when I bought it. The other thing you can do is loosen the hood latch a bit and raise it. However, then with the Bra off it has a bigger gap between the hood and the front fascia/bumper.

I know it sound a little scary but it is padded and hasn't cause a problem over the two years I have owned it.

PM me if you want further help or adjustment. I would be glad to help and it looks like we live pretty close to each other.

Thanks very much for the useful info and pics to show the exact points for the hooks, mecinoid. I'll try installing the bra again in a few days, after I wash the car. Whereabout in the Bay area do you live?
Old 09-13-2005 | 01:04 PM
Z_Driver
Master
Premier Member

Livermore - Maybe I see you on the RR-TI meet. Come by and say hi if I don't see you.

I mean 150+ cars that meet is a once in a lifetime event!
Old 09-13-2005 | 04:16 PM
redvert

less than 450 miles on the car and i already have two chips seriously thinking about a clear bra.

Quick Reply: Front bumper chips