2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Ugh got ticket for Invidia Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 08:22 AM
drew703

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ugh got ticket for Invidia Exhaust

<Sigh>

I had a feeling it would eventually happen, just maybe not until I was already pulled over for something else. Here's the story, it's not exactly a great one, but I still want to vent just a bit :

It's Friday night, 11:30pm --
I'm out with this really cute girl, and we're following my friend to a party. Note -- this is all taking place in Springfield, VA and for those who have never been to the area, Fairfax County Police are the cops there...and believe me THEY ARE PRI*KS! Almost everyone who has ever had to deal with fairfax county cops, are well aware of this...sorry back to story

So we're all driving around, going to a friend's birthday party (it's at his house). We're driving down the street toward his house and sure enough we find two cops almost completely blocking the street off. So my friend and I get out of our cars, look at each other, then figure the party must have gotten out of hand or something bad happened, so we get back in our cars, turn and leave. You figure the story would end like that, but NO

Both of the cops begin following us, then my friend turns off to a main road, I'm still sorta in the neighborhood, and then BOTH of the cops are following me now! So, I'm just like okay... I know I haven't done anything (nor am I accelerating hard or doing anything else illegal) but then after about 2min of tailing me, BOTH cops pull me over! Both officers came to my car, one on each side and start interrogating the hell out of my friend and I. We hadn't been drinking, my friend and I were both from DC , etc we explain to them. Then the fun begins

O = officer
M = me

O - Well son, this is a very nice car, how long have you had it?
M - July 10th
O - Do you know that you have an aftermarket exhaust on it?
M - (NO DUMBASS IT CAME LIKE THIS) "Yes officer, I know it's
there.
O - In most places, it doesnt matter. It does in Fairfax county. It
especially does for me...Cause I'll be honest with you son, I
hate these loud things..they're my pet peeves
M - Ok . . . ?
officer returns with ticket
O - Son, how much did it cost to get that exhaust installed?
M - What??
O - Cause you're gonna have to take that off. It's too loud
M - <staring at the officer in disgust>
O - ... Cause if you dont, you might get more tickets in the future
M - <almost cutting him off> Yeah I'll just go ahead and take the
tickets, thanks
O - <in shock almost that I said that> Well, your choice...

Then as I'm signing the ticket, he compliments the car (sincerely I think too), and I just hand him back the ticket, not saying a word.
Tells me and my friend to have a good night, then he and his buddy just dip out of the neighborhood, had to be going 50+.

So anyways to finish up, two cops just wait around, here my exhaust and I guess have chalked up another ticket to his quota this month...congrats officer!

I mean really now, I understand cops have their ticket quotas, and are supposed to do their job...but Ticket for "Use of Unapproved Equipment" ON A FRIDAY NIGHT? I mean dammit come on now...go solve some real crime issues. Go save someone who was probably being mugged...or in a fight...or car accident! Oh and another thing- the amount of time that had elapsed from following me, until they sped like hell out of the neighborhood had to be 30+ minutes, NO JOKE.

anyone know much these tickets cost on a side note? Only reason I ask, is because this officer seriously sounded like he's the type to try and give me a more expensive ticket, or just do something sleazy like that. He literally said, he pulled me over because he doesnt like the loud sound?! I mean seriously now...

lastly, it felt so good to say "yeah i'll just go ahead and take the tickets"

-drew

Last edited by drew703; 11-08-2003 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:33 AM
jor8888

wait I dont get it, they gave u a ticket without telling u the amount of the fine? I think u are screwed, u might get a $1000 ticket in the mail in a few days.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:48 AM
alindo

Well, in CA, they never tell you the fine. Usually fix-it tickets cost me from $10-30. That's counting court fees.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:57 AM
Ultimateone

Damn that sucks, Ive been lucky in all my cars around my town and state.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:04 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wonder how the cops would have reacted if it was a S-tune exaust
Old 11-08-2003, 09:05 AM
jimster716

Is the exhaust illegal? What are the local statutes involving noise from an exhaust? Where could you get a decibel test that would be legally binding? Is the Invidia exhaust considered 50-state legal for emissions, cuz if it is once you get tested for noise you could easily be within the legal limit. Next time ask the pig when was the last time he pulled over a Harley.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:32 AM
drew703

I SERIOUSLY hope I dont get a $1,000 ticket in the mail!

Well, what the officer did explain is I just have to call, and then I think the office at the courthouse that handles ticket payments will tell me the amount. But yeah, I was really pissed last night and I didnt even think about asking until after they left

And I seriously hope the ticket would be between $10-30!

I'm pretty sure the exhaust is emissions legal, but I need to get all of the paper work and do a little research. Depending on how much the ticket is, and then what else I can find out, I will probably end up just paying for this first ticket. But after that, I'll hopefully have a little more firepower (knowledge )

PS:
overall, it could have been worse --
I have 20% tints (limit in VA is 35), and I dont wear front license plate (in VA, you're supposed to)

So ah well, I guess at least for those two things, I need to keep a little stash of $ for those inevitable tickets...

-drew
Old 11-08-2003, 10:30 AM
drew703

Okay, well things are good now...

I just called this automated system, and double checked it online -- alindo was right on, so good call

It's a $30 ticket for "Use Of Unapproved Equipment", and then $55 for court fees. So the ticket isnt too bad, but the court fees kill it!

Ah well, $85 isn't too bad, but believe me I would much rather put that money toward the Gewalt Evo's I am saving for

-drew
Old 11-08-2003, 12:04 PM
chazzg

IS your car registerd in VA? If not How can a cop give you a ticket for having Unapproved Equipment, if is not Illegal in your State? There has got to be away around that ticket. What is Unapproved Equipment any way. If it is smog legal in VA then is it not Approved Equipment by the state of VA????
Old 11-08-2003, 12:19 PM
seanrulz

Oh.... Fairfax county cops.... the most disgusting cops of all kind.... I have a lot of friends there and went to high school in Alexandria, VA so I do know what you are talking about.... Back in May, I was participating in shooting the commercial for Inline Pro (specializing Honda/Acura), and I, with my Z, was the archrival of Turbo Integra and was supposed to shoot the scene of drag racing each other (just pretending, not doing real racing), and those Fairfax Cops ran into the scene and ruined everything. It was told that they already had an agreement and permission from police department, but something was screwed up and everyone(mostly customers of Inline Pro and other car enthusiasts) from VA ended up with bunch of fix-it tickets and stuff. Of course I had Indiana license plate so they couldn't even touch me (hell, my car was bone stock at that time ), but it was really annoying. Their attitude is plain arrogant and intimidating. I encountered many cops around the country, and none of them were that bad.
Try to find out the exact spec of your exhaust and see if it is in legal boundary of VA law. (I assume you have VA license plate since if you have DC or Maryland plate, they don't have any jurisdiction to give you any hassle for those kind of stuff in my understanding)
Old 11-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Reggi914

That sucks man. Sorry to hear about that. Some cops are LOW! If you dont drive through that area anymore, you shouldnt have a problem.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:15 PM
drew703

Chazzg-
Yeah, unfortunately my car is registered in VA. That's where my home is and all, I just goto school in DC. I'm still going to definitely do a little more research and even get some specs straight just for those inevitable next time.

Seanrulz-

Hey just wondering what high school did you goto in Alexandria? Cause that's where I live/grewup/went to highschool! I actually went to two, St. Stephens 9-10th grade, got kicked out (for a very interesting reason, but we wont go into that ) then went to T.C. Williams for remainder. (Remember the titans baby!)
But yeah man, you definitely know the about those lovely navy blue cars with the damn Fairfax County Police logo on them...they really are "the most disgusting cops of all kind", I couldnt have put it better myself. Every little ticket or issue I've ever had with driving and getting in some sort of trouble or citation, has been with stupid Fairfax County Police.

thanks for the advice and suggestions from everyone

-drew
Old 11-08-2003, 02:17 PM
drew703

Originally posted by Reggi914
That sucks man. Sorry to hear about that. Some cops are LOW! If you dont drive through that area anymore, you shouldnt have a problem.
Exactly right. I really do plan to try and veer away from any and all of Fairfax County's jurisdiction as possible.

sorry for 2nd post in a row!

-drew
Old 11-08-2003, 02:19 PM
havabooz

wait...why do you have to pay court fees if you agree to pay the ticket?....i got a 40 ticket for tints in rutgers..and i told the cop the same thing...my story was exactly like yours....i just got a new exhaust and its much louder than stock...lets see how they react to that
Old 11-08-2003, 04:45 PM
TELCO119

Here's an idea: Do you guys know that here in America, we are innocent until proven guilty? Here in NY, if they write you a ticket for noise, they have to have a readout from a db meter or else they can't prove sh@t. Did the cop crawl under the car and write down the serial # from your exhaust? You may have agreed with him that it was "loud", but he still has to prove it to a judge. I would go to court and deny EVERYTHING. "Nosir, your honor, I was driving carefully down the street in my totally stock vehicle, MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS, when the cop pulled me over for no reason". Then the cop has to prove you had an illegal exhaust system. Where is his db reading? Does he have any part #'s? Looks like you're homefree my friend. Without hard evidence the offices eyes (tint) and ears (stereo or exhaust) are human, therefore subject to error.

my .02
Old 11-08-2003, 06:33 PM
TZUNAMI

This one is too easy to fight. Trust me, he is planning on you paying the ticket. Most likely, if you set this for a court date, he won't even show. Even then he needs to be able to PROVE that you had this exhaust on the car somehow and prove that it is unapproved equiptment. He'll need pictures, part numbers, or sound readings to prove that, he won't have them and you should skate.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:12 PM
keiffer953

That truly does suck.....Man oh man.....That cop was just being an *******
Old 11-09-2003, 04:30 AM
EddieJr

With all the B.S. going on in Fairfax you would think they got more important stuff to look into(i.e. MS13) Just like speeding they give out the tickets cause its easier to just pay it than fight.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:46 AM
kbomb

Cop was a *****. Sorry to hear what happened but its just too common around tri-state area MD/DC/VA.

But, how was ur date?
Old 11-09-2003, 06:17 AM
cincyspider

Do NOT pay that fine! Take that jackass to court!

I have a Borla on my Z....don't think yours is much louder than mine, but unless they have the strictest damn noise laws, I don't think it's illegal anywhere!

Here's a thougth too....call the manufacturer...get their advice. Get their specs..I'm sure it's in their best interest to help you too. Did they knowingly SELL YOU an illegal product?? I doubt it, but that's what your ticket is telling them, and you.

I also hate VA cops! I got 2 speeding tickets there in one day..actually within an hour!! LOL...got out of BOTH! Was on my way to the coast for vacation....when the 2nd cop walked up to the car (and this one was a total *** too...first guy was nice...all smiles...joking around...said to me...couldn't slow down fast enough, could you??? ) Anyway..2nd guy says right out...YOu ever get a ticket before in the state of VA??? I say to him..."Not before today officer" They were in different counties!

I won't say how i got out of both, but it involved writing to both county court houses...LOL!

Your ticket is just ******** though...don't give in!

Quick Reply: Ugh got ticket for Invidia Exhaust