Track Model

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 01:52 AM
Sharp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Track Model

Hi Guys

I am having a bad time, deciding what to do. Here is my problem:

I want a car that I can drive everyday to work and I can take it to the track over weekends. Currently I am driving an Audi TT 255. It is fine for what I want to do, but the quattro makes it to heavy and it is under powered. So, I want to upgrade.

Option 1:
Keep the TT and buy a very old Porsche that I can use to race.

or

Option 2:
Buy a 350Z track model.

So here is my questions:
How is the 350Z on the track? Can the car take the beeting? Do I HAVE to make any modifications or is the stock version OK?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Akira

I have the track model, and only thing I did was to upgrade the brake lines, brake fluid, and brake pads. It cost me $400 and it's good to go.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:02 AM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

Default Re: Track Model

Originally posted by Sharp
Hi Guys

I am having a bad time, deciding what to do. Here is my problem:

I want a car that I can drive everyday to work and I can take it to the track over weekends. Currently I am driving an Audi TT 255. It is fine for what I want to do, but the quattro makes it to heavy and it is under powered. So, I want to upgrade.

Option 1:
Keep the TT and buy a very old Porsche that I can use to race.

or

Option 2:
Buy a 350Z track model.

So here is my questions:
How is the 350Z on the track? Can the car take the beeting? Do I HAVE to make any modifications or is the stock version OK?

The car is fine on the track. The only thing you would need to do for sure is to go to a better brake fluid then stock.. just to pervent Boiling the fluid which I have done with the stock fluid. It is not that big of an issue on most tracks but thoes that have hard braking areas and not many High speed straits to cool down the brakes it can become an issue. Again it is all dependant on driver. Over all though the car will do fine on the track in its stock from and the obvious changing of tires, brake pads and ets are jsut nice additions and changes to help the car go faster.

The understeer is not that bad on open tracks and is not that big of an issue relative to the problems that it can cause in Autocross. You will probably want to change out the suspension eventually as well to be able to push the car harder.

Another option would be to get an Enthusist and the add a big brake kit to the car. Might be a cheeper option depending on how much you can get the car for.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:01 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you intend to track only I too would suggest base or enthusiast, for one, the VDC and tire pressure is just dead weight options. toss in a big brake kit, new forged rims, and an LSD onto the base and I bet all in all your not far from the price difference on them still. but youll have the faster lighter car. problem is the base lacks some nice ammenties like cruise control, or any form of traction control, but who wants that on the track?
Old 11-10-2003, 10:51 PM
Sharp

Thanks for the comments!

The problem is that I stay in South Africa and if I do any modifications on the car, then I loose my warrenty! That really sux! But hopefully I can get away with changing the brake fluid for now...

I have decided to place an order and I will get my car early Jan next year. Dammit! I cannot wait anymore!!!

I ordered blue with black leather seats...

What do you guys think?