Detailing Session 6: Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 10:08 AM
Brad4rdHay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing Session 6: Engine

Puropose: To keep the engin dust/grease free

Pro: Its much easier than you think
Con: Nothing really...IF you use a silicon based rubber dressing, it can block the O2 sensors.

Frequency: Degrease: Once a year Clean: Every month or so

Procedure: Keeping your engine compartment clean is much easier and more important than you think. For one, the Z has on hell of an engine, you should keep it presentable to show off your your car buddies. Second, mechanics treat a clean engine much better. Why, they know that you spend time in there so if they half *** it, you will know. Also thats where they work, and they apreciate a clean work area, its respectfull. So how do you go about this. Its very simply. The Z's engine, like every modern one produced today, is water resistant, meaning you can soray water into the compartment and not wory about it shorting anything. BUT, if you want to be extra cautous, you can cover any exposed electrical peices with a plastic baggie or shrink wrap and a rubber band, though its not completely nescesary. Keeping it clean is a simple as using a rag and some car wash suds and wiping the whole compartment down after washing, then rinsing, and drying.
De-greasing is a little more tricky, though its quite easy as well. First, you need a non-caustic cleaner. Like every other aspect of car cleaning, I dont recomend Simle Green. My favorite is Eiman Fabrik's Citrus De-greaser from properautocare.com. Simply spray a warm (not hot) engine with the de-greaser, let it sit for 5-10 min, then come in with a wet cloth, wipe everything down, then rinse. Now you should be able to see any spots you missed. I like to now go in with a rag sprayed with the cleaner, and clean up these areas by hand, then rinse. Finnaly, dry the compartment.

Once everything is clean, its time to dress all of the plastic and rubber peices. This not only looks great, it keeps them protected and flexible. As i mentioned ealier, never use a silicon based dressing such as Armor All and Tire Wet. If your not sure, if its really shiny, then dont use it. My personal favorites are 303 Aerospace Protectant, and Vinylex. (properautocare.com). Simply spray a towel with the stuff, and wipe down all of the rubber/plastic peices, let them dry 5-10 min, then buff. Now you have a very presentable enbgine compartment, and it only took 10 min to get it there.

Next: Interior
Old 09-03-2002, 11:11 AM
J Ritt

Thumbs up

Liquid dish detergent is actually a great de-greaser. I use a soapy mixture of dawn, etc. on my engine compartment and it works great...I'm with you, no need for harsh chemicals, etc.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:39 PM
NissaNZ

Are you a spokesperson for properautocare.com?
Old 09-03-2002, 01:09 PM
Brad4rdHay

Default spokesperson for properautocare.com

I was waiting for that one. No, I just love the store. Great customer service and plus, I can recomend someone there without worrying that they will run across a bad product. Everything they sell there is af decent to excelent quality.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:00 PM
a_p

JmanZ,

Once Brd4rdHay's series on auto care is complete, is there anyway that we can compile Brad4rdHay's his e-mails into a separate Detailing section for quick and easy reference?

BTW, thanks for all of your posts Brad4rdHay... Back when I was in high school in 1990 I got a used 87 BMW 325. I spent countless hours every weekend cleaning every curve and corner of that car. Even though I gave the car to a family member, it's exterior is still in perfect condition.

My Z will be the next to be pampered.