Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership lied to me about miles on my z.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 AM
E_RELENTLESS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership lied to me about miles on my z.

i bought a 2003 z from a dealership on July 5th, 2010. the z had 49,000 miles on it when i bought it and now today i got a letter saying that it actually had 84,000 miles on it when i bought. but all of the paper work that was signed said that it had 49,000 miles and even the car said it.

what do you think i should do?

do you think i can take them to court for false advertising and changing lowering the miles on the car?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 AM
pmab9918

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure of any legal action you could take but look in your yellow pages for a lawyer that specialize in this sort of thing and ask them. If nothing can be done I would crack some skulls.

And good luck
Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 AM
06blueZ

kbb says that an entheusiast 2003 with 49k on it retails for 16,300
84k retails for 13,900

I'd ask for about $2400 back
Old 08-06-2010, 11:08 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Take it up with your state attorney general. I'm pretty sure that TX like other states has an odometer law requiring verification of odometer reading whenever the title changes hand.

A legitimate dealership wouldn't risk their license over such a stupid thing as odometer fraud. My guess is that the previous owner did something fishy that they discovered after the fact. Did you contact the manager at the dealership and ask for an explanation?

Didn't you look at the Carfax before you bought it. That should have given you a history of the car including mileage at various points over the years.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 08-06-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:10 AM
E_RELENTLESS

it pretty stupid that they would change the milage on in the car or didnt catch that it was changed. now i have to take time out of my schedual and try to get the $2400 that they screwed me on or take them to court for change the miles. i doubt that (classic buick, poniact, and gmc Ltd.) would take money off of the car.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
E_RELENTLESS

yea nothing said anything about it having that many miles. now they sent me a letter say that it really has this many miles on it. something is right with that dealership.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The letter is from who? Please scam and post.
Did you do a CarFax verification? Please scan and post.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 AM
E_RELENTLESS

the letter is from the car dealership. i dont have anything to scan the letter with. all of the paper work from the dealership and stuff says that it has 49k on it and now they are saying that its wrong.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:25 AM
*Boose*

Me personally I know there is a law that they must certify that the mileage you bought it with is correct. In fact when buying my wife's G35 Feb 09, we signed a paper that clearly showed her mileage. I'd check the carfax and if that doesn't do anything I'd run the vin at the dealer. That will show what warranty repairs have been done. If you're lucky one may show up past the 49k miles. Also checking the carfax will show when the car was usually brought in for repairs or general maintenance.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:29 AM
E_RELENTLESS

yea you would think that the dealership would know all that too but i guess they were trying to be slick or something. but everything we have says 49k.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Z_HighSpeed

if you signed something which said it had X amount of miles but it actually had Y amount of miles that's a violation of contract. a good lawyer can eat that up.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by E_RELENTLESS
yea nothing said anything about it having that many miles. now they sent me a letter say that it really has this many miles on it. something is right with that dealership.
Again, did you call the GM of the dealership and talk with him and find out exactly what is going on and more importantly what they plan on doing about it to "make it right". It's pointless to ask us here what to do since none of us (including you) know what was (supposed) to have happened.

I'll paint you a picture of what I think probably happened.

Previous owner has his car repaired and a new gauge cluster installed. Odometer starts at 0 again.

Years later he trades it in and the receiving dealership records the mileage. The owner forgets (maybe for his own convienence) about the odometer swap and signs the odometer certification with the current mileage.

Dealer submits the title along with odometer certification to the state department of motor vehicles.

In the meantime, you come along and buy the car. The dealer has no reason to suspect a problem with mileage and neither do you.

Some clerk with the state DMV is processing the title change and it pops up a warning that the mileage doesn't look right -it's less than a previous recording.

They do some investigation and find out that a repair was done and the odometer reset. They notify the dealer that the odometer certificate was false and the dealership notifies you.

If you had gotten a Carfax, you probably would have spotted the problem since they access the same records as the DMV uses and it would have shown a mileage discrepancy.

Find out the facts. Like I said before, a legitimate dealership is not going to risk their business on odometer fraud. There's a record of it and a paper trail to follow. Somebody got it wrong and I'll bet it wasn't the dealership that sold you the car.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 08-06-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Hokie350Z

Instead of money back, take it back, say you want something newer and then lowball the crap out of them and say that you'd rather deal with them and get a deal on new car with 0% financing instead of dragging this thing through court and the media

They would rather take a burn on one car instead of being claimed of fraud
Old 08-06-2010, 11:36 AM
E_RELENTLESS

yea my sister call and they just told her to read everything in the letter that its all there. yea the carfax doesnt show everything because he couldve done his own repairs if he was the one that mess with it. because i know people that do their own repairs on cars and the stuff they do to never shows up on carfax reports. all the letter tells us is that when we bought the car it actually had 84k on it and some other stupid ****.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 AM
JS04

odometer fraud is a federal offense. I work for a dealership and that is one of the biggest things they preach is to make sure the mileage is correct. Its ok if its a couple of hundred miles off. They just have to do some different paper work to get it corrected. But being off by 40K miles. No sir, get a lawyer and get your money.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:38 AM
TheFarmer

That sucks. Call and talk to dealer, have them do whatever it is to make it right for you. Otherwise, legal action on your end should be taken.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
E_RELENTLESS

we are thinking about getting a lowyer because dont feel like getting f*** with more then we already have.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by E_RELENTLESS
yea my sister call and they just told her to read everything in the letter that its all there. yea the carfax doesnt show everything because he couldve done his own repairs if he was the one that mess with it.
Why do I have the feeling you haven't even seen this letter yet?

Even if he did his own repairs, there are numerous other ways that mileage gets reported... state/county/city motor vehicle inspections, insurance claims, accident reports, etc.

I'm tempted to tell you to post your VIN some I/somebody can pull the Carfax on it.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
DB350

less talk more action
Old 08-06-2010, 11:49 AM
E_RELENTLESS

i have i cant do anything about it myself becuase the car is under my sisters name. she is the one that got it for me. so it would be pointless for me to try and talk to them since they wont since im not on there.

Quick Reply: Dealership lied to me about miles on my z.