Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership lied to me about miles on my z.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Think of it like this. Are you planning to sell the Z anytime soon? Does it drive and has been driving nice for you thus far? Why waste time and money being aggravated. I say who cares. Perhaps it could have been a mistake.

Now if you think about this on a logical stand point the ECU regardless of why, when you change your CLUSTER will always keep the original mileage starting form ZERO! So lets say that the cluster was changed for god knows what i highly doubt it would of kept saying 49K "IF" and that is a big IF the ECU had an internal reading of 84k. So all in all i doubt you have any worries.

If your crazy about it take it to a diff dealer and have them scan the ECU for the "said" mileage. If it is diff from your cluster then well you were Banged hard by someone. If it is all the same cluster and ECU then move on with life.

Also make sure the letter does not say TIME FOR YOUR 89K Service..LOL!!!!!

Last edited by Dr. Venture; 08-12-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:50 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Gee, I wonder why OP hasn't returned to fill us in on the real details.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:05 PM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave- because school has started back and mommy took away teh internet until he finishes his homework
Old 08-12-2010, 01:32 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Damn it man - you almost made me pee myself. Put a warning on the really funny stuff.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
Think of it like this. Are you planning to sell the Z anytime soon? Does it drive and has been driving nice for you thus far? Why waste time and money being aggravated. I say who cares. Perhaps it could have been a mistake.

Now if you think about this on a logical stand point the ECU regardless of why, when you change your CLUSTER will always keep the original mileage starting form ZERO! So lets say that the cluster was changed for god knows what i highly doubt it would of kept saying 49K "IF" and that is a big IF the ECU had an internal reading of 84k. So all in all i doubt you have any worries.

If your crazy about it take it to a diff dealer and have them scan the ECU for the "said" mileage. If it is diff from your cluster then well you were Banged hard by someone. If it is all the same cluster and ECU then move on with life.

Also make sure the letter does not say TIME FOR YOUR 89K Service..LOL!!!!!
mileage is stored in the cluster, not the ecu. so it is possible.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:54 AM
KONVERTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealers are not allowed to sell a new cluster without having it set to the mileage the car was at when the old was removed...

Thats the onlyway a Nissan Dealer can sell a cluster...

ALTHOUGH, those of you who know of the NISMO cluster that is imported from Japan, you put that on, your miles are at 0, and you calculate your distance and speed in KPH...

ECU has nothing to do with the odometer...
Old 08-16-2010, 05:06 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by KONVERTER
Dealers are not allowed to sell a new cluster without having it set to the mileage the car was at when the old was removed...

Thats the onlyway a Nissan Dealer can sell a cluster...

ALTHOUGH, those of you who know of the NISMO cluster that is imported from Japan, you put that on, your miles are at 0, and you calculate your distance and speed in KPH...

ECU has nothing to do with the odometer...
We had to get a new odometer for my wife's '94 Volvo T5-R maybe in '02, because those cars had a habit of eating a little plastic drive gear inside the cluster. We bought the odo from the dealer, and they had to report to the state (Florida, and an amended title was issued) the indicated mileage on the old odo, but the new one started at zero. The Volvo's did store the actual total mileage in the ECU, though, and it could be accessed through the OBD I codes. I had a BMW M3 (OBD II) which also stored mileage in its ECU, which in both cases were Bosch Motronic units.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:34 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

LOL wow...........

lol at OP not returning with what happened or what was decided.

give us DFW folks the name of the dealer........there are a few in that area of I-20/arlington, but the only actual GM/chevy one would be Vandergriff Chevrolet.

-J
Old 08-16-2010, 09:02 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Classic Buick, Pontiac, GMC off I-20 based on the VIN I ran in an earlier post.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:20 AM
garytucker

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Again, did you call the GM of the dealership and talk with him and find out exactly what is going on and more importantly what they plan on doing about it to "make it right". It's pointless to ask us here what to do since none of us (including you) know what was (supposed) to have happened.

I'll paint you a picture of what I think probably happened.

Previous owner has his car repaired and a new gauge cluster installed. Odometer starts at 0 again.

Years later he trades it in and the receiving dealership records the mileage. The owner forgets (maybe for his own convienence) about the odometer swap and signs the odometer certification with the current mileage.

Dealer submits the title along with odometer certification to the state department of motor vehicles.

In the meantime, you come along and buy the car. The dealer has no reason to suspect a problem with mileage and neither do you.

Some clerk with the state DMV is processing the title change and it pops up a warning that the mileage doesn't look right -it's less than a previous recording.

They do some investigation and find out that a repair was done and the odometer reset. They notify the dealer that the odometer certificate was false and the dealership notifies you.

If you had gotten a Carfax, you probably would have spotted the problem since they access the same records as the DMV uses and it would have shown a mileage discrepancy.

Find out the facts. Like I said before, a legitimate dealership is not going to risk their business on odometer fraud. There's a record of it and a paper trail to follow. Somebody got it wrong and I'll bet it wasn't the dealership that sold you the car.
We had this happen in 91 or so. A former owner sold a car (still a 5 digit odometer manual odometer...88 model I believe)...signed paperwork stating the car had 87,000 miles on it. The dealership, having no reason to believe otherwise sold us the car. About 9 months later, a freeze plug goes out on the car...the mechanic looked the car over and declared there was no way the wear he was finding happened in 87k miles. We did some investigating and discovered a paper trail the seller didn't disclose to the dealer.

The dealer bought the car back (full money back even though it had been a year at this point) and apologized to us. They then sued the original owner of the vehicle for fraud.

Let me clarify here...we knew the dealer as they were family friends and I truly believe they had no idea the car was misrepresented. When we purchased the car...it had all the appearances of a 87k mile car...not a 187k mile car. The mechanic found items while replacing the freeze plug (including said freeze plug) that just wouldn't wear out or rot in 87k miles.

Good luck. I'd be asking for the dealership to take the car back and refund your money. You don't want the hassles of a car with an odometer and a title that aren't accurate.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:41 AM
MarvinMartian

No pics of car-buyin' sis?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:12 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Hmmmmm.... troll has gone back under his bridge maybe.