Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frustrating a ricer

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 01:14 AM
longbowe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frustrating a ricer

So I'm going toward Santana Row tonight to hang out with a couple of my friends, and I pull out onto my residential street, a bit ahead of a guy in a white WRX. He's got the HID lights, and I'm thinking, hey, cool car. To get onto a larger street to get me to the rendezvous point, I had to make a few zigs and zags, and the guy tailed me all the way through. I did a few California stops, but the WRX never even slowed down.

So we get onto a larger street, and as is my wont, I try to shift quickly through the gears at cruising shifts (~3000rpm) so I can get some speed and cross the major street. Except the yellow light comes on a second or two before I could reach the intersection, so I pulled an abrupt-ish stop. The WRX was behind me, but powered through. Luckily, it didn't turn red until just before he was through the intersection. His engine was whirring all the way.

So I'm sitting there, feeling smug about how I let him race against himself, basically. Then I notice (since it was around dusk) that there was a car up ahead, past the big intersection, waiting at the curb. Was it for a passenger? No. No way, I thought, it can't be that WRX! But when the car sat there for the full stoplight rotation, which took almost 5 minutes, I realized it had to be him.

The light turns, and I quickly saunter past him. I usually pull quickly away from those following me, again because I wanted to get into 4th gear quickly at cruising shifts. So he tucks in boldly behind me. But then a car appears on the lane to my left -- it's possible it was the car the WRX forced out of the way in order to follow me. Anyway, so now the WRX is behind me again, and I just know he wants to race.

So at the next light, near a freeway offramp, I'm getting ready to pull away from the car to my left so I can get in the left lane for my upcoming left turn. I think to myself that the WRX must be thankful for a chance to race me, as I pull over into the left lane.

Another stop light, right where the freeway offramp dumps out. It's not a major offramp, but it was dusk, a.k.a. rush hour. So there were cars packed up ahead of us at the next light, where I needed to make a left turn. I look over at the guy, hoping against hope that he was just trying to check out my car. He gives me a glare, just as I give him a smile and a tilt of the head to acknowledge his car.

The light changes. I nonchalantly go through my motions, since I had to go to the left turn lane immediately and there were no cars in the way between me and the left turn cars stopped at the light.

As I shift into second, I hear the unmistakable whine of a 4-banger getting into turbo. The WRX zooms past me. I stroll into the left turn lane, as he makes a hard stop to avoid hitting the cars waiting at the light. Then, finally, he sheepishly trudges into the left lane, which was shorter than the right lane. By then, the left turn signal was green, and I was on my way.

Sometimes it's sublime to frustrate those who want to race against you, especially when all you're doing is being practical and taking into consideration your route, rush hour, and just safety in general.

Last edited by longbowe; 11-13-2003 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:30 AM
samw1978

Some people.....
Old 11-13-2003, 02:20 AM
Shift33

I just laugh at them because it's such an ugly car. So what if the Sti is quicker, it's soo fugly that I rather drive a Pinto than that thing. Next time, roll down the window and just ask him why? Was he smoking crack when he bought it?
Old 11-13-2003, 06:53 AM
jedoublery

just laugh at them because it's such an ugly car.
Man....
After the SRT4, M3, are we starting another meaningless WRX hate thread?
Old 11-13-2003, 07:30 AM
SlamMan

Originally posted by jedoublery
Man....
Old 11-13-2003, 07:38 AM
junglist350Z

Originally posted by Shift33
I just laugh at them because it's such an ugly car. So what if the Sti is quicker, it's soo fugly that I rather drive a Pinto than that thing. Next time, roll down the window and just ask him why? Was he smoking crack when he bought it?
its all opinion. i like the STi, i just happen to like the Z more which is why i bought what i bought. My roommate has a 04 WRX, no reason to crack on the car....different strokes for different folks. I'm a big follower of WRC too.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:47 AM
drew703

Originally posted by jedoublery
Man....
Yeah I agree, I think it'd be hypocritical as hell to start knocking on WRX's, or any non-Z car after (and obviously ongoing) m3 issue. I mean I know people who think Evo's and Sti's look WAY better than a Z. I mean after you look at raw numbers and all, you cant argue with a person's taste. If someone thinks an SRT4 is beautiful, who's to say that person is wrong?

Besides, we all know one person's garbage is another's treasure, so just keep that in mind...

longbowe-

Great story! I've had similar run-in's like that with civics, even some Mustang GT's. I rarely race baby Z, but believe me the times I have, it's been worth it.

-drew
Old 11-13-2003, 09:53 AM
longbowe

Drew, thanks! I think the WRX is an alright car, and the STi in silver or white is actually pretty nice because it de-accentuates that hood scoop. I'm sharing this story because it was so obvious I wasn't racing, but this dude was trying to. I'm not absolutely against racing, but I don't like drag racing, and I especially don't condone it when there's lots of other traffic around.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:02 AM
zimbo

This sorta reminds me of the thread I just read where a guy on one of the M3 forums complains that nearly every 350z owner wants to race him.

It's apparently caste system, folks.

--Steve
Old 11-13-2003, 10:38 AM
SlamMan

What exactly made him a ricer?
Old 11-13-2003, 12:59 PM
longbowe

The reason I called him a ricer was because he took a perfectly respectable car (I actually liked his WRX), and tried to provoke a street race during an inappropriate time (rush hour). That, more than any mods (and I think he may have had some mods, I wasn't sure), makes him a ricer in my book.

And, my, my, aren't some people quick to jump to conclusions here? I specifically said I liked the dude's car, but didn't agree with his attitude, and was delighted that he was frustrated.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Shift33

It's totally a personal opinion issue and I just think they're really not good good looking. The Evo is better looking than the Sti to me. I can understand that WRX buyers are into performance and I respect that a lot. It's like marrying a really hot bod chick cept she's hella buttaface. Why not have best of both worlds?
Old 11-13-2003, 04:33 PM
jedoublery

Wasn't trying to jump to conclusions.

Sometimes you can start a thread saying "I like RX-8",
3 posts later you have other people saying "RX-8 is a piece of crap compared to my Z".