Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need SERIOUS Help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 02:07 PM
Nothing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need SERIOUS Help...

Okay guys... I have a major dilemma here... I've been fixated on getting a Z for the last 5 months and was all set to buy one in January (for delivery in March... need to escape the Chicago winter). But the last two days, I've been thinking about the practicality of having a two seater sports car. I'm 26. Professional profession (not to be redundant ). Going to grad school in a year and a half. This has made me take into consideration the G35 coupe. Serious consideration. So my question to you guys is, what is your true analysis of the G35 coupe? I've seen some pretty honest assessments of the Z on here (bonuses and drawbacks) and so I'm pretty sure I can trust your opinions. Please tell me about the G35. Thanks.

N.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:29 PM
Z4ToddB

I'm definetly not an expert, but here goes (after a test drive in the G and buying a Z):
Things to consider
1. The G has a back seat (small)
2. The G rides a little better
3. The G tries to combine a little luxury with a little sport

1. The Z feels more like a true sports car (to me)
2. It's a 2 seater
3. It's got a few more horses than the G

I know others will bring up other stuff, but I guess bottom line is: What do you need/want from the car and with your life/lifestyle which would suit you better! Hope this gives at least a brief idea for you-
TB
Old 11-13-2003, 02:40 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the biggest difference in the feel of the car. the Z seemed to give better feedback and a more controlling ride. I found the G to just sway too and fro too much.

from a performance numbers aspect, the hp is more or less equal, however the weight is significantly higher(and the Z is hardly light to begin with).

its not a bad car by any means, its excellent, but its not quite the same car with 2 seats as some say IMO.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Shift33

Are you going to get married anytime soon?
Are you going to have kids anytime soon?
Do you like lugging your friends around when you go out?

If not, you're just like me. I love having my gf in the passenger seat and no one else. I don't need the back seat for anything right now. My CRX didn't have one and I loved not having to drive people around. Don't get me wrong, I still love driving everywhere. The Z has the feel of a true sports car where as G35c is more for a posh look. My older brother got one and he's not as big as a car enthusiast, so that fit him well. Both are great cars, but Z is the one I would go for.

When I see Supras, I go WOW that's nice and a classic beauty, but I don't say that when seeing Lexus SC300's, IS, or GS.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:33 PM
Nothing

What if we were to assume that I was not going to get a Z because I thought it impractical, but I love the Z. What would be my best option? A G35?

I like speed and power, but I'm not a street or track racer, I'm just a normal guy. I wouldn't be doing tons of mods to the engine, but I'd like to turn heads...

I'm "only" 26 and I'm "already" 26 at the same time grrrrr!

N.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:29 PM
jedoublery

Then get the G35 coupe.

You want...
--practicality
--turn heads
--speed and power

Z has all that but practicality.

Hummm....maybe I should of bought the G35....
Old 11-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Donald0730

I have both in my household. The G feels a lil more luxurious even though my Z has all the options. The backseat is indeed very small. But its comfy for small people. If U plan on carrying some adults, the G isn't the best choice. It's better to carry no people than carry uncomfortable people. If this is gonna be ur only car then I'd get a G cuz I guess it would be practical. But If U have another car for passenger purposes, then I'd get a Z.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:05 PM
EL Diablo

Get the Z you know you really want it!!!!!
Old 11-13-2003, 05:13 PM
rdballer

Make sure you fit into the G35. I tried to test drive a G35 coupe but 99.999% of them have sunroofs. My head would hit the roof in the G35. It was going to take anywhere between 30 and 180 days to order G35 without a sunroof.

We have an 04 Z Touring Edition.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:51 PM
jj1814

well im 23
professional profession
and going to grad school in < 1 year...

not once did I contemplate getting the G35 over the Z for any of these reasons. My Z was delivered to me in May.

So what exactly are your reasons again?? LoL

You only live once. You plannin on getting married and/or making some babies any time soon? If not....get the Z.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:32 PM
dchengmd

Heck, even if you ARE planning on getting married or having kids...consider a Z. I've been married 3 years now, and currently trying to have our first baby. Didn't stop me from buying a Z (although I have to credit my wife for giving the stamp of approval).

I was originally planning on a G35 for the very reasons people brought up here, but after 2 of my colleagues bought G35c's over a month...I quickly changed my mind, and I haven't looked back since. Another reason I changed my mind is that I see an awful lot of G35c's around here in SoCal. Many, many more than Z's.

If you're looking for practicality mixed with sportiness, a G35c may be a good choice, but you might consider also taking a look at the Mitsubishi EVO or Subaru WRX STi.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:40 PM
KrazY-2K

Originally posted by dchengmd
...but you might consider also taking a look at the Mitsubishi EVO or Subaru WRX STi.
That conflicts with one of his interests, which is turning heads
The only people who really know what an EVO or STi is are enthusiasts.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:49 PM
srmd22

Actually, if you want to turn heads and have speed and power (even more then the Z), AND have practicality (relative), go BMW M3. That's alotta car. Big bucks, of course...
Old 11-13-2003, 08:16 PM
icepig

this is a really exciting imaginative new question: G35 or Z? try reading the other 1,652 messages on the subject... dumbass.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:02 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by icepig
this is a really exciting imaginative new question: G35 or Z? try reading the other 1,652 messages on the subject... dumbass.

Uhhhh....OK....

I think this comes down to personal preference, since the reasons one persone would like the Z may be why another prefers the G35.

Since you are currently single, without kids, and about to go back to school, I'd suggest the Z. You don't seem to need the extra practicality that the G affords. Both are very nice, and the G will have a better ride, so maybe you should take another test drive in both cars and pay attention to those aspects to see if one or the other stands out.

Otherwise, just imagine that in 2 years you'll have a whole new degree, and (hopefully) well paying job, plus a choice of who knows how many new cars (C6 Vette, new Supra maybe, RX-7 hopefully, etc).

You can always trade cars at that point to see if something else suits your lifestyle better at that time.

I'd say that you want now, and then worry about the future when that time comes. You'll have a couple years to enjoy the Z and then you'll be free to choose again.

Maybe leasing is good for you.

-D'oh!
Old 11-14-2003, 09:06 AM
EL Diablo

Originally posted by icepig

STRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE !!!!
Old 11-14-2003, 10:14 AM
yooda

Your criteria is turning heads. So I'd say pick the car that looks better to you. Some people love the G35, some people love the Z. I personally love the Z from the side and the back.

I'm 28, a "professional professional." I chose the Z because its a sports car not a grand touring coupe. The Z is a bit lighter produces about 10% more horses stock and has a stiffer suspension.

I once parked next to a G35 and when I came back to my car I saw a couple arguing about which car looked better.

I will say that having a two seater can be a pain sometimes, there isn't a lot of room for luggage and carrying more than two people is difficult (except when you're dating twins cuddling in the seat next to you... HAHAHAHA!!! YEAH RIGHT!).

But this has advantages too. I never have to drive when my buddies roll to Fat Burger.

If I were you I'd go for the Z. At least while you can. When you get married and have kiddos, you'll need another type of car.

At least thats what I'm thinking right now...