Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about a Base 2007 Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:26 PM
350ZToeRing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about a Base 2007 Z

I am looking to upgrade from my current Z, to a newer, less mileage Z. My current Z has every option imaginable just about. I wanted to know what might be the disadvantages of buying a Base model 07HR. I know it would not have a LSD diff. Any pros/cons to that? Also, from closely inspecting pictures, it looks as if the Base model does not have the button to turn off VDC. Does that mean that this model does not have VDC at all, or does that mean that I just can't turn it off and thus never do a burn out? Need opinions guys. Should I atleast opt for an Enthusiast model? Or is a Base not that bad?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Compared to Enthusiast model, Base has no TCS, LSD, and cruise control.
Base and Enthusiast model do not have VDC.
Anything else I forgot?

Last edited by Emski; 09-22-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:26 AM
jamesdean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 04 base the lack of LSD/Cruise sucks. Will not make the same mistake on my next one.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:29 AM
dmroberson

I have an 06 Base. Cruise, I don't care too much about... I live on an island... lol. LSD is something I wish I had though... might be a present to myself, after I return from deployment...
Old 09-23-2010, 02:50 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

First mod I made to my base '08 was to install an LSD.

Otherwise, I don't care much for power/heated seats, cruise/VDC, the OEM Bose sound system, and all that sort of thing. The only other OEM, "upgrade" I've done is a self-dimming rear-view mirror, which I really like. ~$100, and since it was from a Maxima it has the compass display, which the Z's didn't have.

Short answer, budget for an LSD, ASAP.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:00 AM
dmroberson

Originally Posted by dcains
First mod I made to my base '08 was to install an LSD.

Otherwise, I don't care much for power/heated seats, cruise/VDC, the OEM Bose sound system, and all that sort of thing. The only other OEM, "upgrade" I've done is a self-dimming rear-view mirror, which I really like. ~$100, and since it was from a Maxima it has the compass display, which the Z's didn't have.

Short answer, budget for an LSD, ASAP.
Where'd you get the autodimming mirror withe the compass from? I've been looking for one
Old 09-23-2010, 03:27 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are pleased with the model you have why not get the same model?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:18 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by dmroberson
Where'd you get the autodimming mirror withe the compass from? I've been looking for one
eBay has plenty in the $100 range. Search for "nissan homelink mirror" or "toyota homelink mirror". I think some Subaru's also used them, so that's another possibility. Make sure you get the wiring harness (or at least 6-8" of the pigtail, so you can extend it to the driver's side A-pillar), and the set-screw in the mounting base. Install takes maybe 20-30 minutes, and there are a few threads here with some pics.

My compass display is blue/green, but some models had an amber display which would match the Z interior better. Those are much harder to find, and a lot of the sellers don't what color the display is because the mirrors were grabbed from wrecked cars. You want to get Gentex Model# GNTX-453, rather than the GNTX-313. The 453's are newer and built much better.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:30 AM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by dmroberson
I have an 06 Base. Cruise, I don't care too much about... I live on an island... lol. LSD is something I wish I had though... might be a present to myself, after I return from deployment...
What he said. I can't wait til I return from deployment. 06 base rocks my socks off. Is yours redline too?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:27 PM
350ZToeRing

Thanks for the replies guys...

The reason David, is because I need a car that has less milage. The ultimate dream is to get an 07-08 HR and TT it. It will be a weekend driver only. i am looking for something with very very low milage. Dont get me wrong. I LOVE my Z but eventually going to be a nuisance instead of a fun toy.

I am looking at Base models and you can get a low milage base model for High 15K-16K.

Enthusiasts thatI have seen with low milage start around high 17K. For that amount of money. Could I just buy an aftermarket LSD and be done with it? Or are there more modifications that have to be made than simply buying a new chunk?

Man i need to research more.... any additional input would be appreciated. Thanks for the support my fellow Z heads.

Daniel
Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 350ZToeRing
Thanks for the replies guys...

The reason David, is because I need a car that has less milage. The ultimate dream is to get an 07-08 HR and TT it. It will be a weekend driver only. i am looking for something with very very low milage. Dont get me wrong. I LOVE my Z but eventually going to be a nuisance instead of a fun toy.

I am looking at Base models and you can get a low milage base model for High 15K-16K.

Enthusiasts thatI have seen with low milage start around high 17K. For that amount of money. Could I just buy an aftermarket LSD and be done with it? Or are there more modifications that have to be made than simply buying a new chunk?

Man i need to research more.... any additional input would be appreciated. Thanks for the support my fellow Z heads.

Daniel
You can make a Base a Enthusiast with Aftermarket parts. But I would just as soon go with the Enthusiast.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:48 PM
dcains

You actually can't add TCS/VDC/Cruise to a Base car, but I bought a Base because it was a few $K cheaper than the Enthusiast's I could find locally at the time, and I knew I was going to want a Quaife diff anyway. OEM Brembo's would have been nice, but you won't get those on an Enthusiast, either. Also, the only 6MT I could find was a Base, which surprised me.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:27 PM
350ZToeRing

After pricing Quaife LSD's....I might as well just buy the Enthusiast and save myself a hassle.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:21 PM
dirtbikr

After pricing Quaife LSD's....I might as well just buy the Enthusiast and save myself a hassle.
The you'll be left with the POS VLSD that turns into an open diff not very long down the road. I just turned 55k on my 07 and there's not much left of the limited-slipiness, if any at all. If you don't care about cruise, then spring for the base and drop the coin on a good LSD, the mirror is minor, and if you know how to drive at all, the TCS and VDC isn't a worry either.

Personally I would buy the enthusiast and swap the diff to a nismo or quaife, because I like the creature comforts, but if you're building a weekend warrior then do it cheap.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:54 PM
350ZToeRing

Originally Posted by dirtbikr
The you'll be left with the POS VLSD that turns into an open diff not very long down the road. I just turned 55k on my 07 and there's not much left of the limited-slipiness, if any at all. If you don't care about cruise, then spring for the base and drop the coin on a good LSD, the mirror is minor, and if you know how to drive at all, the TCS and VDC isn't a worry either.

Personally I would buy the enthusiast and swap the diff to a nismo or quaife, because I like the creature comforts, but if you're building a weekend warrior then do it cheap.
say what? I have never heard of this
Old 09-24-2010, 08:00 PM
MDHRZ

Old 09-25-2010, 11:20 PM
350ZToeRing

is that an "I concur" laugh, or a "your an idiot" laugh?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:48 AM
silvertouringz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is that an "I concur" laugh, or a "your an idiot" laugh?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:58 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Good idea, really
Old 09-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Zfan808

Hey, how's it going? I, like others, got a base model '07 HR for the reason of saving money. The cruise control and stereo controls on the steering wheel were not an issue for me. The aluminum pedals can be bought and put on after the fact. As far as the VDC, most guys turn it off at the track and feels it hinders the car more than anything else. Even when it's turned off, I was told it can still activate on it's own, not allowing the driver to completely be in control. Since the base doesn't come with a VLSD, it doesn't have the VDC, so you'll never have to worry about it. I did, however, want a limited slip, and after reviewing what many other members here posted, I opted for a Nismo LSD. Fortunately, the dealer I bought the car from was able to add it as an option and installed it. It was harsh at first, but after changing the diff oil with Motul gear oil, it felt and still feels great. IMO, if you plan on going FI, you will eventually want to put in a better LSD. The only drawback to the base model, is if you don't like cloth seats, you want the factory Bose stereo, and you really want the cruise control. The Uprev tune allows you to change maps on the fly using your cruise control buttons. You won't have that ability with a base, unless there's another way they're doing it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyhow, all in all, if you want to concentrate on all out performance, and will be changing a lot of things, in the long run, you'll save a bit more with a base. If the VDC issue of activating on it's own even after you turn it off is not a problem for you, and an Enthusiast model is available at the price you want, then go for that instead. It's really up to you. Hope this helped.

Quick Reply: Questions about a Base 2007 Z