Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stirring the pot: Good, Better, Best? New Supra, RX7 or 350z

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 02:08 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the look of the Supra. Is there a new RX7? I don't particularly like the look of the new RX8. Personally, my favorite look is my Stealth. I think that it is one of the coolest looking cars around. The Z will be right up there though.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:18 AM
john0213

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The up coming Rx-8 is the next generation of Rx-7, but i don't like the look of Rx-8 since it has a sport car heritage but Mazda makes the new one to a 4-doors 4 seats....wtf!? I like the supra best but i don't think it will come up with a resonable price(too high), or say i can't afford one, maybe if i can i wouldn't choose supra in that price range then. so i think 350z is the best in all range.(style and price.)
Old 05-31-2002, 02:42 AM
Touring6MT_Z
Charter Member #49

Originally posted by exsilio
Not looking to start a flame fest. I just want some open dialog on how people feel about all these great vehicles coming out.

I myself love the 350z. I love the heritage, the style and the way Nissan is operating their business.

The new Supra looks outstanding, but the RX7 I'm not sure about. Someone was quoted as calling the RX7, "the best looking vehicle to come out of Japan". Not quite.
excilo,

I don't think you are stirring any pot. We all can have a fun discussion without any flame.

When I saw the original 240Z came out in 1970, I love it but was too young and can't afford it even in the later year. The same can be said about the 350Z when I first saw the Silver one in the Road & Track magazine. This time, the timing is perfect, I need a new car later this year and I can afford it. I am not careful about the style of the second and third generation. The forth generation look great, but I have a family to take care of then. Now, I am giving my Maxima to my youngest kids. Time to have fun.

Compare to the Supra and RX8, I think the 350Z look modern but classy, clean and elegance. It has some element of 911 classy line, but a more modern and very unique look of its own. Also, it has a longer history as a sport car.

The Supra started life as a little bigger and more luxury version of a Celica. The 1st generation is a boulevard cruiser, not a sport car. I had a '79 Celica at the time, so I never associate the name Supra with a sport car. The latest one look similar to the previous generation. It look like a generic style Italian sport car, a Ferrari derivative, to me.

RX7 is always a good affordable sport car, until the last generation. I am not careful about the style of RX8.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:31 AM
Zmeflyby

i like the looks of the rx8. i would have went for it if mazda hadnt taken out the turbocharger!!
Old 05-31-2002, 06:26 AM
Dave

The up coming Rx-8 is the next generation of Rx-7, but i don't like the look of Rx-8 since it has a sport car heritage but Mazda makes the new one to a 4-doors 4 seats
I'm not 100% sure, but I think there will be a new RX8 AND a redesigned RX7. As far as I know, the RX8 is not the next gen RX7.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:08 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen MKIV several times in posts and don't know what it means. Can someone educate me? Thanks.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:44 AM
brackethead

It's funny now, but I remember reading an issue of C&D or R&T over a year ago (maybe longer). It was a "concepts" issue, so they showed the Z and the RX-8 among others. I told a friend, a former Z32 owner, that I liked the looks of the RX-8 better. Now I look at the RX-8 and I just don't care for it. And I love the 350Z.

I've always liked Supras, so I hope the new one will turn out nice. But I have no qualms about the new Z as my pick.
Old 05-31-2002, 07:51 AM
christurismohk

personally, i dont like the rx-8..is not that i think it is ugly or anything...
by the way, the rx-8 is not gonna be out for another year! I am sorry for those who likes the rx-8 will have to wait long....as for us..we will be having fun with our Z WAY before the guys with rx-8

read this article, it is from www.thecarconnection.com
Mazda's long-awaited RX-8 sports car won't hit the showroom floor for at least another year, but the California- based carmaker has turned to PlanetFeedback to get as close to consumers' opinions as it can. For several months, Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) has employed PlanetFeedback's BrandPulse business product to find out what consumers are saying online about the concept-car Mazda RX-8, the replacement for the beloved RX-7, which was taken off the market in 1995. Mazda already knows it has a loyal and curious audience awaiting this new car, which features a unique 250-horsepower rotary engine, six-speed transmission, new freestyle door configuration, sedan-sized back seat and an attractive price tag. The Mazda RX-8 is scheduled for 2003 production as a 2004 model-year car, and the company has had more than 65,000 consumer inquiries about the vehicle.

heres the link:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=173&n=156
Old 05-31-2002, 10:44 AM
john0213

ok my bad misunderstanding the Rx-8 and Rx-7 anyways, i don't trust Rx-7 anymore since i got a friend in Hong Kong who always had all kinds of problems that he always need to return his car to the dealer.(remember that hongkong dealer is the best dealer in the world cuz they actually do things and solve problems!!)
oh well maybe it's the weather and temp. in hongkong......
Old 05-31-2002, 12:15 PM
#15Blade

Well, I like the looks of the third generation RX-7 best, but the reliability of the twin turbo wasn't all that great. I have a friend who replaced them with a large (huge!) single turbo - 400+ RWHP. That thing flies...

I haven't seen the supra up close recently, but the last one I rode in seemed heavy, and the styling wasn't to my taste.

So for looks and styling, reliability (presumably) and price, I'd say 350Z. (Or its sister the Infinity G35 Coupe which also looks sweet.)

For just looks and performance the third gen RX7, though the reliability would make me shy away. Supposedly they are coming out with a new RX-7 (or at least haven't ruled it out) based on an interview I read a while back.