Old 11-20-2003, 09:43 AM
qirex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

silver ecstasy?

man....what will you call the Z?
Old 11-20-2003, 11:29 AM
themyst

Actually you are incorrect. The rear seats on the G35 fold down, so there is PLENTY of room to fit virtually anything you can think of... AND have your front passenger seat available. The G may look like "another car" but it won't be branded the next fad car as every teenager on the west coast starts picking up used Z's for cheap and starts modding them in a tacky fashion. I loved my Z as much as the next guy, but certain things need to be realized.

Originally posted by qirex
Tuff choice...but for me...there's no choice Z it is.

The G is a great car, but after driving them both...they're truly two diff cars. The only reason there's any confusion is the whole infiniti branding thing.

In japan, the skyline and the fairlady are sold next to each other - its clear which one the the luxury coupe is and which one is the sports car.

They both look great - its up to you which you think looks better. IMO however, the G kinda looks like another car - while the Z is all Z. There's no doubt about what it is. You're 19...live a little! I'm 31 years old, married for seven years and I'm a doctor. I guess I fall into the G demographic more, but hell...One test drive in the Z was all it took to convince me.

Maybe its b/c I always fantasized over owning a Z, 240, 260, 300mk1, 300mkii...I always loved the looks of the Z and its image.

The G while nice...is a sports coupe.

In terms of practicality....***eddaboutit. The hatch is big enough...anything that is really big - prolly couldnt fit into a G trunk either. I brought a 20" TV home with me in the Z....in the pass seat. If you had a G where would it go?? yep same place - except mebbe it *wouldnt* fit as the front seats are further forward.

Get a girlfriend or friend with truck if you really need it. I bought an FX35/tech thinking it would balance out the *practicality* issues. I love my Z so much however, that I simply strap my surfboard to the Zs roof and go surfing with that - ratrher than the G.

Get the Z...or G...or Z..just get something.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Blue Batmobile
Inventor
Blue Batmobile

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd choose the 350Z any day.

Bat™
Old 11-20-2003, 02:28 PM
NissaNZ

For those of you who complain about the bouncey ride of the Z, what did you expect it's a sports car. If you want a smoother ride then get the G. I'll take a Z.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:02 PM
Tweety-nator

Originally posted by themyst
The G may look like "another car" but it won't be branded the next fad car as every teenager on the west coast starts picking up used Z's for cheap and starts modding them in a tacky fashion. I loved my Z as much as the next guy, but certain things need to be realized.
And whats makes you think that the G35C will not suffer the same fate? The G35C is about the same price as the Z ... and like the Z the G will go down in price as well.

If you bought the G35 thinking that nobody will make it "tacky", then you are in for a shock. The G35 is not an exotic car, and you can bet that when a used G35C becomes affordable to the so called "west coast teenager" then yes, it will be modded.

A lot of teenagers like the G35C as well. I am probably more inclined to think that the G35C will be more sought after than the Z, simply because it can carry more friends while the Z is less practical.

Now if you bought the G35C because it is a beautiful, fast, practical 2 door coupe, then you hit it right on the nail.

Last edited by Tweety-nator; 11-20-2003 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:29 PM
themyst

If you take a step back and realize the appeal demographic of the 350z vs the G35, you'll clearly note that the Z is geared towards the lower echelon of the age brackets. I bought the G35C because I wanted similar performance, with a softer ride and no serious common problems such as on the Z. I am not biased towards either car, as I was very saddened to give up the Z, but my particular preorder vin# was cursed from day 1. In a perfect world, i'd have both the Z and G.

Originally posted by Tweety-nator
And whats makes you think that the G35C will not suffer the same fate? The G35C is about the same price as the Z ... and like the Z the G will go down in price as well.

If you bought the G35 thinking that nobody will make it "tacky", then you are in for a shock. The G35 is not an exotic car, and you can bet that when a used G35C becomes affordable to the so called "west coast teenager" then yes, it will be modded.

A lot of teenagers like the G35C as well. I am probably more inclined to think that the G35C will be more sought after than the Z, simply because it can carry more friends while the Z is less practical.

Now if you bought the G35C because it is a beautiful, fast, practical 2 door coupe, then you hit it right on the nail.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:53 PM
Tweety-nator

If you take a step back and realize the appeal demographic of the 350z vs the G35, you'll clearly note that the Z is geared towards the lower echelon of the age brackets. I bought the G35C because I wanted similar performance, with a softer ride and no serious common problems such as on the Z. I am not biased towards either car, as I was very saddened to give up the Z, but my particular preorder vin# was cursed from day 1. In a perfect world, i'd have both the Z and G.
Where did you read about this age demographic thing? I am 31, so are you saying I should have bought the G since the Z is targetted towards the younger buyers?

There are plenty of older guys buying the Z, and I dont believe for a second that Nissan's targetted demographic is the younger crowd. Unless said young crowd can afford a $30k+ sports car.

The way I view it, a person buying either car has differing priorities. Do they want a sports car, or a GT coupe? Both cars are appreciated young or old.

Can you provide me a link or something to back up your claim? If so, I will concede.

If you think that the Z is geared primarily for the younger demographic, then you might as well throw in the Honda S2000 and the Mazda RX-8 into the mix, since these are it's two primary competitors.

Not trying to start a fight, I just believe you are way off base with the demographics thing.

EDIT: By the way, I would have bought the G35 Coupe if the 350Z did not exist.

Last edited by Tweety-nator; 11-20-2003 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:54 PM
zimbo

A lot of this argument centers around ergonomics and cosmetics because under the hood, the 350Z Track and the G35C 6MT are within a $50 intake tube of being the same damn car.

--Steve
Old 11-20-2003, 06:50 PM
qirex

Originally posted by zimbo
A lot of this argument centers around ergonomics and cosmetics because under the hood, the 350Z Track and the G35C 6MT are within a $50 intake tube of being the same damn car.

--Steve
do you really think this?

why does nissan sell them so close in price and apparent HP?

b/c each has its relative strengths...drive them both - then you will see they are hardly the same.
For the life of me...I could never give up my Z for a G...or an acura CL at that...
Old 11-20-2003, 06:52 PM
jEzTeR

I would rather have the G35 coupe 6MT w/ Brembos.Here the Infiniti dealerships only have the 6MT/Brembo coupe's fully loaded w/ nav and they are in the 36-39K price range. I like the inside of the G35 a bit better than the Z and the two very small back seats would come in handy.Infiniti is also known for having a slightly better service department.

The Z is in my spending range and is damn sexy.Both are awesome cars.You can't go wrong either way.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Canadian350Z

Oh Boy! Here we go.... I leave for a day and whamo!

Here is my take...

I was one of the preorders for the Z... in fact, I was top ten in Canada for receiving the car way back in Sept 02... currently, I just crossed over 20,000km (around 12,000 miles) and, with the mods I've made throughly enjoy the car... both as a daily driver and now as my "toy".

Initially I had a Pathfinder which, after the lease came up, went back in exchange for the G35S 6MT. First impressions were that the G was way more refined, a entry-level luxo sport sedan vs. the gritty, white-knuckle 350Z. The drive, while similar, was distinctly different. In the G the seats are softer, the ride is quieter, the handling is looser and your seating position is higher. In the similarity department, straight line acceleration and braking sounded and felt almost identical between the two cars. That surprised me, even though it shouldn't have... I had read enough about the car to know it was coming but it was weird hearing the same sounds, feeling the same gearbox, but being in a markedly differerent car... I love the G, esp. as my daily.. comfortable, sporty and somewhat sophisticated... a nice blend for my 33 years...

Now, the really wierd thing was when I brought the G in for the TEIN lowering springs.... I was given a G35C 6MT to drive around for the day....

The car, IMHO, is a perfect blend of the two. You get the ride height and performance (both accel, braking and handling) of the 350Z mixed with the luxo features of the G35S.

For me, my situation is perfect. I love the Z as my "sportscar"/summer vehicle and the G is perfect as the "winter beater". I never have to leave my Z! The wife has a minivan to haul my daughters (4 and 7) in so life is good.

At the end of the day, you need to make a choice based on your life and lifestyle. From how it sounds, your best choice may be the G35C. It blends your requirement of pseudo viability with performance and style. It is probably the most practical choice, if this choice could be called practical...

In a few years, once you've established yourself a bit more, I can see you looking to step into a situation where you don't sacrifice your driving experence, even though it's winter... Once you get there, the combo of the Z and G35S is perfect. Each one does what is designed to do very well. The G35C blends them but... two heads are always better than one...

When you want German, you go to a German restaurant
When you want Italian, you go to an Italian restaurant
The G35S is German.
The 350Z is Italian.
The G35C is Austrian.

Does that make sense?
Old 11-21-2003, 12:17 AM
cmeissen

Originally posted by Canadian350Z
Tough decision. Get both!!!
I like his idea.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:16 AM
MikeNT256

Originally posted by Tweety-nator
There are plenty of older guys buying the Z, and I dont believe for a second that Nissan's targetted demographic is the younger crowd. Unless said young crowd can afford a $30k+ sports car.
I'm part of the young crowd I suppose, and I after speaking with the dealership, I need to come up with atleast $2k on my part for a down payment in order to have an affordable monthly payment. My payment now is $393.01 w/out interest. The dealership said that if my credit is really good, I can get into the 4's. I doubt I can. I've made 11 payments and have built credit for a year. All payments have been made on time if not early. But still, it takes roughly a year to establish GOOD credit or show any changes.

It makes sense though Canadian. I had a long talk about this with my dad, especially the concerns with the transmission and problems i've read people have had. He's very ambitious about me getting this car, for a couple reasons. I'm buying a "real" car apparently. I get to put "rwd" and "300hp" in a sentence together when i'm talking to him lol. He said he knew I wanted a faster car and that I shouldn't have gone with the Grand Am. Yes, the grand am can be fast, but with alot of money, and time, which may not be worth it in the end. The Z, however I think is worth it. The G might be more practical...but like someone else here said "Live it up". I'm only 19 once, soon to be 20. Theres time for practicality later right? We'll see, i'm still gunnin towards the Z hehe. I can't help it! I'll keep you guys posted, thanks so much for all the input!!
Old 11-21-2003, 05:59 PM
RK350Z

Drove both - and totaled the G35 coupe on the test drive! Took it as a sign from God and bought the Z - never regretted it since - wanted a sports car and got a great one. Cargo space isn't that bad - fits two golf bags and a couple of soft side bags.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:02 PM
themyst

ouch you totalled a g35 coupe? did they make you pay?
Old 11-21-2003, 06:09 PM
MikeNT256

Originally posted by RK350Z
Drove both - and totaled the G35 coupe on the test drive! Took it as a sign from God and bought the Z - never regretted it since - wanted a sports car and got a great one. Cargo space isn't that bad - fits two golf bags and a couple of soft side bags.
Wow..that sucks about the crash! I went to another dealership today to take a closer look at the Z. He let me take the keys and check everything out while he stood there and answered questions. I was ready to just take the keys and take it for a spin but I don't want to lie so I simply said "I'll be honest with you Gil (sales person), I don't have a ton of experience with a stick." He knew I wasn't buying, so he didn't offer to take a ride with me, and my friend who may be getting one soon said "Yeah Mike..we can test drive it another time". I wasn't very comfortable with the embarrasment of my lack of experience and I didn't want to get into an accident so I held off until my Dad comes with me.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:13 PM
lowtempo

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

...The Z is all about the driver. The only thing that matters is the view of the road and guages and reach to the basic instruments needed like a/c, gear shift, stop clock....radio sometimes if you not listen to the smooth sound of you exaust........

.......... gotta go drive now.....later.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:19 PM
qirex

Actually you are incorrect. The rear seats on the G35 fold down, so there is PLENTY of room to fit virtually anything you can think of... AND have your front passenger seat available. The G may look like "another car" but it won't be branded the next fad car as every teenager on the west coast starts picking up used Z's for cheap and starts modding them in a tacky fashion. I loved my Z as much as the next guy, but certain things need to be realized.
come on man....how asinine is that?

The Z has been around *forever*

there's no fad to that....hell, everytime I see a worked out 240Z or 300ZX TT I always smile. This Z simply marks the return of the champ. I love all Zs brand new - or 20 yrs old.

Therein lies the diff....so who has the fad car now?

Its just like porsches...a 20 year old 911 is STILL a 911.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:32 PM
MikeNT256

Now now, I really hope I didn't start a flame war..lol
Old 11-21-2003, 08:20 PM
RK350Z

ouch you totalled a g35 coupe? did they make you pay?
Nope - Luckily the salesman was in the back seat and it wasn't my fault - a yoyo driving a cafeteria type truck was sitting at stop sign, I rolled up behind and stopped and idiot put the truck in reverse and nailed us. I was maybe 15 feet back so he got a bit of speed up before impact! Said "Uh didn't see you". The G35C was bright red and it was broad daylight. Sure glad the salesman was along! The collision smashed the front cap, grill, buckled both fenders, hood etc. Not really totaled, but lots of $$$ damage.

Quick Reply: Would you purchase a G35 or a 350z?