Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Would you purchase a G35 or a 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 10:00 PM
Tweety-nator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MikeNT256
I'm part of the young crowd I suppose, and I after speaking with the dealership, I need to come up with atleast $2k on my part for a down payment in order to have an affordable monthly payment. My payment now is $393.01 w/out interest. The dealership said that if my credit is really good, I can get into the 4's. I doubt I can. I've made 11 payments and have built credit for a year. All payments have been made on time if not early. But still, it takes roughly a year to establish GOOD credit or show any changes.
Hi Mike.

I did not mean to say that the younger crowd won't buy the Z, just that the Z is not targetted specifically for that crowd, but has widespread appeal irregardless of age.

I wish you well though, hopefully you can get the car and join the ranks of Z owners! Added bonus would be that this will definitely help in your credit rating, just make sure you continue to pay on time and dont miss any payments.

If you can wait, I would save up for a bigger downpayment. The bigger the downpayment, the more manageable the monthly payment will be for you. This is what I am doing, I waited for a year before deciding to get the Z.

Good luck!

Last edited by Tweety-nator; 11-21-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:05 AM
MikeNT256

thanks tweety. i wasnt offended or anything, i was just made an observation. my buyer backed out so i have to deal with this until i can find a buyer. hopefully by february they will have the newer z
Old 11-22-2003, 10:13 AM
FairladyZ

Check sig! A 5 seater, sports car wannabe doesnt do it for me. I have to admit the G35 is a beautiful car though. But, they are too common on the street, and having a 4 door version is a little much.
Old 11-22-2003, 02:15 PM
themyst

Don't know where you live, but a Z is just as common as a G35 around these neck of the woods.

Originally posted by FairladyZ
Check sig! A 5 seater, sports car wannabe doesnt do it for me. I have to admit the G35 is a beautiful car though. But, they are too common on the street, and having a 4 door version is a little much.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:31 PM
mrZeee

my two cents...G35c is a 350ZX 2+2...back in the day...Z's were the sports cars, ZX's sport-lux(all they toys and went pretty fast two) car and usually the ZX's were 2+2's..
Old 11-22-2003, 04:18 PM
jor8888

Where I live G35C and G35S out number Z 5 to 1 or more.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:08 PM
2Fishy4U

Cool

Hey Doc from Page 1; super response. I am 56 and when I decided on buying a sports car it had to be a 2 seater. Being old it was Corvette or Z. My son is a GM Tech and told me to forget the Vette with his famous words "Dad, remember it is just another Chevy". Apparntly, this is want a service manager at a GM Dealership told a guy who was complaining about the rattles in his new Vettre.

Before retiring, I worked on the East Coast for about three years on the Y2K issue. I guess I saw to many women in BMW's and Boxsters to seriously consider those cars. Then the 350Z was introduced. At first I didn't like the design, probably being so used to American cars, but it has grown on me and new looks so much better then the Vette.

As for the G35 I honestly didn't know what that was and didn't care until reading this board. The Z was immediate identification. As for the rough ride ride on bumpy roads, my logic tells me that is why the car corners so well.

Finally, with the $$$ saved versus other sports cars I consdered, I bought a 1969 GW Invader and restored it. The Invader I bought is a 10 FT Hydroplane used 30 or so years ago to jump ramps at the water ski shows in Cypress Garens, Fl.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:54 AM
FairladyZ

Originally posted by jor8888
Where I live G35C and G35S out number Z 5 to 1 or more.
5:1 is right with just the G35 coupes.
10:1 4 door version.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:51 PM
rltco

I went through the same frustration Z or G35. I finally decided to buy the Z, because it was a greater departure from the norm, and keep my Saab Turbo Aero as my everyday car.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:40 PM
Norel350Z

I got my Z back in September, by october my best friends decided to put his money where his mouth was, and got a G35... I gotta say his car has a much smoother ride then mine, and the leather is nice... Hes got a sun roof, and a back seat.. both of which i could live with out... as he put it when we where talking about each others cars the other day, If someone wanted a true sports car, they should go with the Z, if they want a more luxury sports coupe, go with the G35..

His car seems a drop faster then mine, but I think its because hes got an Auto, im a 6spd, and still am slow off the line... the upside is the Bose system he paid hundreds for sucks ****, compared to my non bose w/ a JL sub, and i like my carbon fiber cloth seats

edit, around here on Long Island i see a G35c every other block, but ill be hard pressed to see more then 1 other Z when im out and about, plus my lease is about 75 bucks less a month, works out to about 3k more then i pay over the life of the lease

Last edited by Norel350Z; 11-27-2003 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:57 AM
IndySmooth

Sigh. Same boat. 22 and set to be married next fall at which point insurance rates fall drastically so that I'm not paying more for insurance than car payment.

Whatever car I get will be my daily driver, however my fiancee has the AWD SUV to tool around in when needed. Problem is I'm in Indy and it can snow here quite a bit for 3 or 4 months out of the year. Back and forth to work every day is the problem.

No offense to anyone's choice of vehicle, but I think the Z is just plain sexy compared to the G35C. Local Nissan dealerships have asked me to get the Z a towel after I'm done with its gas tank.

I suppose both would suck like a saigon ***** in the snow so I might as well go with my gut and get myself a Z.

Mike, don't feel bad. I've never had a stick as a daily driver and definitely haven't driven a manual with 290HP behind it before. Little timid to take a 6MT out for a test drive at this point. Luckily I have 8 or 9 months to work on it.

I'd rather buy a manual and I'd never hear the end of it if I got an automatic. That and my fiancee would want to drive it.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:58 AM
Z_Driver
Master

My .02. I was going to buy a G35. I was able to set up deals with a Infiniti / Nissan dealer to get whatever car I wanted at $750 over invoice. It took me about a year to do this. The best I could do on a G35 was $37,200 out the door(cloth without sunroof). I thought the insurance on the Z would be a lot more than the $30 every six months that it ended up being. That was what first pushed me away from the Z. Then I saw a Silverstone Z Eth that I liked.
It Cost me $30,500 out the door include tax and reg. For me it ended up being the Z however.....

What I like about the G35:

-A little better ride - New Z's is still a lot better than my old 300zx.
-Tail lights - but I am not sure about that now.
-The Sunroof - if you want one.
-Cargo Room - I am replacing a 2 seat Z so it wasn't an issue.
-Longer Factory Warantee

What I like about the Z:
-Smaller turning radius - Great in town
-Power
-Interior doesn't seem as cheap - I really didn't like the center console. What is it with the analog clock in the infiniti. Infiniti seemed too plastic to me. The Aluminum sets off the Z.
-Front End
-Rear Tower Brace
-Rear Glove Box and the two smaller compartments- GB is huge and nice when you are by yourself. Easy access via back of the seat latch.
-Triple gauge Pod
-Price Saved almost $7K - I'm going to take the money and buy something nice for the wife, since she was nice enough to let me buy the Z. Like a cruise.
-Just the fact that it is a Z and that I have owned 4 others.
-I think the resale will be better. This one is hard to judge.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 11-28-2003 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:14 PM
MikeNT256

Originally posted by IndySmooth
Sigh. Same boat. 22 and set to be married next fall at which point insurance rates fall drastically so that I'm not paying more for insurance than car payment.

Whatever car I get will be my daily driver, however my fiancee has the AWD SUV to tool around in when needed. Problem is I'm in Indy and it can snow here quite a bit for 3 or 4 months out of the year. Back and forth to work every day is the problem.

No offense to anyone's choice of vehicle, but I think the Z is just plain sexy compared to the G35C. Local Nissan dealerships have asked me to get the Z a towel after I'm done with its gas tank.

I suppose both would suck like a saigon ***** in the snow so I might as well go with my gut and get myself a Z.

Mike, don't feel bad. I've never had a stick as a daily driver and definitely haven't driven a manual with 290HP behind it before. Little timid to take a 6MT out for a test drive at this point. Luckily I have 8 or 9 months to work on it.

I'd rather buy a manual and I'd never hear the end of it if I got an automatic. That and my fiancee would want to drive it.
Yep completely in the same boat! Sucks doesn't it! I got a winter beater, which is nice but i'm bitter about driving that pos. Winters suck in Michigan, but i'll get through. I spoke to a customer today who I was helping, he was an insurance agent. Told me my rate would be about $400 a month insurance NO thanks...I don't know what i'm gonna do..
Old 11-28-2003, 06:58 PM
IndySmooth

You now know what you must do to get your Z. Get yourself a wife. Any wife will do. Insurance companies aren't picky

If you talk to the same guy, ask him what being married would do to the insurance rates. I'm interested as well.

I'd ask my insurance agent but someone I got into an unavoidable accident last week The guy in front of me (driving on a suspended license) ran into the woman in front of him. I was a safe distance behind but it was cold and raining and had no chance to stop. Technically my fault for his rear end damage. THEN the *** monkey tried to tell the cop I struck him first and propelled him into the car in front of him!

Luckily, my mother's an accident reconstructionist for Indy PD and came to the scene. She then pointed out several things to the reporting officer who concluded the guy in front of me had collided with the car in front of him before I slid into his bumper.

Last edited by IndySmooth; 11-28-2003 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:02 PM
MikeNT256

Heh, no thanks. I'm only 19, and do not feel like having a random girl's name on everything I own. Maybe in a few years like when i'm youre age hehe
Old 11-29-2003, 02:46 PM
Road Warrior

seems like a dumb question to ask in a Z forum....but then again you are only 19
Old 11-29-2003, 06:46 PM
IndySmooth

I disagree. There are many G35C owners that read and post on these forums for obvious reasons. And there are many Z owners who sold their G35C to get a Z and vice versa. Good knowledge base. But hey...I'm only 22 so what do I know : /
Old 11-29-2003, 06:52 PM
snolden

Mike, IF you do consider the G35C for practicality purposes, then please consider the G35 Sedan. It has all the same performance stuff (LSD, 6MT) except the Brembos. On the flipside, it stops better than ANYTHING else stock on the road including ferrari's and vipers.

There is zero straightline difference between the sedan and the coupe, the sedan looks good but not as good as the Z or the G35C, and you have plenty of room inside.

There is a timeslip up of a stock auto G sedan pulling a 14.0 in the quarter which is right up there with the Z's times (yes it was 29 degrees out but a 14.0 is a 14.0)

Handling: The coupe and the Z handle better than the sedan, but nothing some good rubber and swaybars won't even up for around 1000 dollars (far less than the price diff between the coupe and sedan).

But these people are right, the Z FEELS like a different car while the coupe and sport sedan feel similar
Old 11-29-2003, 07:06 PM
fourdegrees

IndySmooth, I wouldn't be too worried about the Z in the snow. I lived in Indy before and experienced many rough winters. During the winter storm of '97 I drove my parents 944 back and forth to work and never once had any problems, except getting stuck in unplowed driveways. Then in 2001 I had an Impreza RS, with the vaunted Subaru allwheel, and looped the car several times, before eventually putting it into a fence. Allwheel drive is no replacement for a well balanced and responsive car. My .02.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:50 PM
qirex

stoxk z w/ summer tires = death

Before I was lucky enough to live in sunny san diego, I lived in Jersey city, NJ.

Last winter I got stuck 3 times. Once in my own parking lot w/ 3mm of snow on the ground.

Its really all tires I guess (hope). A set of snows and 50lb bag of cement in the trunk should do you fine.

Quick Reply: Would you purchase a G35 or a 350z?