Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resale value is going to suck later down the road

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Stabber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resale value is going to suck later down the road

Yes I know this thread exists on resale: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=50553 but I want to look at this question from the perception of all the problems we're having. When word gets out about all the problems with the '03 Zs, don't you think resale value will drop? Say I want to sell in 3 years, I'll probably take a big hit. Of course the biggest problems being feathering and tranny. How bad do you think the rattling will be by then!!!! God knows what the '04s have in store since they are still very very new. Wait 6-12 months and see

It's depressing, and it's not from reading the REPAIR forum either so don't say that The repair forum was actually a relief knowing that so many others shared the same problems as myself. Had I known the Zs were going to have these many problems AND not have NNA care.....I wouldnt of purchased one. I will ride it out and see how bad things get. My other Zs I've had almost their whole life and NONE of them exhibited the same problems I'm having (tranny, gas problems, easily chipped paint) Here's a nice little post I made https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....456#post539456

With that said, opinions on resale value??

Last edited by Stabber; 11-20-2003 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:03 PM
Mikestro

Quote: "Resale value is going to suck later down the road "

No it won't.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:10 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What problems?
Old 11-20-2003, 03:15 PM
Jsn350Z

Resale value on ALMOST every car is gong to suck, esspecially one mass produced, as the Z is...

You don't buy a car to earn or even hold money, infact a car is a horrible investment.

But hey, who cares!
Old 11-20-2003, 04:11 PM
EL Diablo

If you want better resale value buy a BMW
Old 11-20-2003, 04:46 PM
kgatesman

i love my z
Old 11-20-2003, 05:28 PM
buzzdsm

If you spend anytime at any of the other sports car forums you'll know that most sports cars are a lot more un-reliable then the Z. The Sti, Evo, RX-8, and the M3 have all had major problems.

Hell the M3 had engines blowing up right and left and I don't see it hurting their resale. I haven't heard of one engine blowing except the one that was pumping 350HP worth of nitrous.

There are a couple things to keep in mind. About 3% of the Z's will have something major happen but you will never hear anything from the other 97%. I would also say that out of that 3% probably half of those people caused the problem themselves. Not trying to rip on people but I think it's weird that I've owned 15+ cars and never had a major issue.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:44 PM
keepupp

In todays Wall Street Journal the 350Z was rated the BEST SPORTSCAR IN TERMS OF RESALE....what a Coincidence it came out today!!!!!
Old 11-20-2003, 06:00 PM
DaChoZn1

In todays Wall Street Journal the 350Z was rated the BEST SPORTSCAR IN TERMS OF RESALE

Really? Post a link or copy please.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:02 PM
Hank Scorpio

If you only plan on keeping the car for only a few years, you should have just leased the car.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:15 PM
CelticPride2

Resale value isn't a big deal for me me right now, considering that I plan on my Z becoming a family heirloom. When I'm gone, they'ge gonna have to pry the keys out of my cold dead hands.

Kidding aside, I sometimes think I'm the only person on this board who's had zero problems with his Z. No grease streaks, no tranny issues, no tire feathering, no nothing...and with that being the case, I wouln't be worried about resale value if I was looking to sell.

--D.J.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:55 PM
Jsn350Z

"If you want better resale value buy a BMW"

Soo not true, BMW's resale blows.

"When I'm gone, they'ge gonna have to pry the keys out of my cold dead hands."

I like that quote
Old 11-20-2003, 07:48 PM
cwerdna

I don't think there's a real good correlation between resale value and reliability. For examples, numerous Mercedes have terrible reliability records and yet have good resale values (looking at Consumer Reports reliability and depreciation ratings). Actually virtually all Mercedes have lousy reliability.

The same goes for the Audi TT and BMW X5. They have good resale value yeah HORRIBLE reliability. The 3 series has excellent resale value and not very good reliability.

One thing that seems true is that certain American cars, esp. ones popular as rentals or that just are POSes have crappy resale.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:10 PM
FLY BY Z

If you are concerned about resale you should have bought a house.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:14 PM
Dissident

What about the problems on first year 300zxs? First year C5s? first year, uh, Rx8s? First year.. See a pattern? There are always more than a few problems anytime a car is redone. Hell, they are having problems with the Camry they recently redid.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Stabber

Originally posted by Mr. Potato Head
If you are concerned about resale you should have bought a house.
I own one already thanks

What about the problems on first year 300zxs? First year C5s? first year, uh, Rx8s? First year.. See a pattern? There are always more than a few problems anytime a car is redone. Hell, they are having problems with the Camry they recently redid.
i had a '90 twin turbo . No major problems. Still had stock tranny when I sold it in '98. Tires didnt feather. Paint was high quality. Interior was top notch. Of course, this was back when Nissan actually cared about their customers rather than showing teenybopper commercials to reel unknowing consumers in they would never support.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:08 PM
Stabber

Originally posted by The Rat's Z
What problems?
I understand that you are happy with your Z and have no problems. I'm glad your experience with the 350z has been good. However, you need to wake up and realize you are the exception. If there were truly nothing wrong with these cars, we wouldnt hear about so many lemon law cases, buy backs /arbitration and "trading in." Tire feathering and transmission problems are MAJOR problems. We're not talking about some grease on the window here. How many times do you see "pursuing lemon law" questions on this board alone? This isnt counting the other members from different 350z forums. No problems ? Fine. But don't make it out like no one else has them. Because I will do a search and provide you with the proof if you don't want to find it yourself
Thanks
Old 11-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Jsn350Z

Originally posted by Stabber
I understand that you are happy with your Z and have no problems. I'm glad your experience with the 350z has been good. However, you need to wake up and realize you are the exception. If there were truly nothing wrong with these cars, we wouldnt hear about so many lemon law cases, buy backs /arbitration and "trading in." Tire feathering and transmission problems are MAJOR problems. We're not talking about some grease on the window here. How many times do you see "pursuing lemon law" questions on this board alone? This isnt counting the other members from different 350z forums. No problems ? Fine. But don't make it out like no one else has them. Because I will do a search and provide you with the proof if you don't want to find it yourself
Thanks
*Raises one eyebrow extreamly HIGH!*

That is a joke, people post about problems, not so many post about NO PROBLEMS! I garuntee theres triple the amount of people with no problems then with some. And it will only get better as the bugs get worked out.

BTW, mine was problem free.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:22 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you hear about is problems on the boards, yet the five or so people I've actually met have not had any major issues.

I've had a couple rattles, and actually managed to fix most of them with some crazy glue or plastic model cement.

I have grease on the windows, but don't plan on getting it fixed since it is not really worth it.

I've heard bad things about the paint, but it's been the same as the paint on my old Ford Ranger, Toyota Paseo, and Dodge Ram (none have had major issues, but all have had chips - I drive on roads with gravel trucks).

I frankly feel that many people are somehow expecting the Z to be perfect, when it reality, it is like every other mass produced vehicle. I think the main difference is that most people really care about their Z's, and therefore notice every little thing that isn't perfect.

Now, I do have a driver's seat with lateral movement that I expect to have fixed by the dealer under warranty, but other than that let me just chime in as another who feels that the Z is about as problem free as any other car I've had. I hope to keep it for 5-8 years and then we'll see what the vette's are like at that point. Resale IMO won't be a factor.

-D'oh!

PS. Hank, thanks for the Bronco's

-D!
Old 11-20-2003, 09:34 PM
ElvishasaZ

Originally posted by DaChoZn1
Really? Post a link or copy please.
the Z was tops for sports cars as noted:

best in sports car catagory for resale value

Quick Reply: Resale value is going to suck later down the road