Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Resale value is going to suck later down the road

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Dissident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 95 240SX is a (minor) redesign of the car that was all-new in 89. The 350 is a brand new car. I can list lots of problems with 90 300s, which was a major redesign, NOT a brand new car (tho you could argue close enough).

An example of other cras, take a look at the C5 Vette (which costs how much more? And how does a first year C5 performs against a Z?) problems, mostly with newer model years:

"Reduced Engine Power" error message on DIC - The cause is apparently a bug in the PCM software. Reprogramming the PCM with updated software is the current fix. Maybe GM will make C5 software updates available on its website someday.
Gear noise when clutch is engaged on 6-speed. This is characteristic of the Borg-Warner T-56 transmission and is normal.
Buzzing fuel pump. Everyone has this. It is worse when the tank is full. This costs $1000 to repair and reportedly will not be addressed by GM. You will only be able to get it fixed if something else goes wrong in the pump/tank assembly.
Water spots on black plastic shield beneath windshield wipers. This has been traced to a chemical used in manufacturing the washer fluid hose. GM chemists are working on the problem but no fix yet - for now you can just get it replaced.
Speakers rattling the door panels. Sometimes the driver door, sometimes the passenger door, but it happens a lot. Replacing the entire panel does not fix the problem. A service bulletin has been issued, instructing dealers to zip-tie the two cables that raise and lower the window.
Passenger-side mirror. Occasionally having bizarre problems.
Wind noise at top corner door glass/sail panel junction. Replacing the seals doesn't help.
Excessive wear on left-side bolster on driver's seat. A new seat cover is installed.
Crank plug leak. The crankshaft in the LS1 is hollow and filled with oil; the plug is often improperly installed at the factory and leaks. Sometimes it is merely excess assumbly lube mistaken for this problem, which is normal; oil drops in your garage are not.
Water draining onto the rear speakers when the rear hatch is opened. 4th-generation Camaros also have this problem. Open the hatch halfway and let the water drain slowly, then open it gradually. This helps a little. Also keep a towel in the trunk for when it happens. The rear speakers are covered with a membrane to protect them, but there is no known fix at this time.
Lack of low-end torque, compared to LT4. C5's rear tires are an inch taller (26.8") and the final gear ratio is dropped from 3.45:1 to 3.42:1. To see the difference, drive both at 2000rpm in 6th gear. The tranny gear ratios are all essentially identical. The C4 does 77mph; the C5 does 90mph.

Also, C&D stated the first C5 they tested had a tendency to have the window flap so much at high speeds that you could see about an inch of daylight between it and the roof.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECALL INFORMATION
Toe Links (97V044000). Rear toe links (or tie rods) can fracture and cause loss of vehicle control. This applied only to the first 1,414 cars sold, and owners were all contacted personally by phone to have their cars flat-bedded to the dealer for replacement of the toe links.
Fuel Tank (97V105000). A gasket can rip and cause fuel to leak. Replace fuel tank assembly. (first 3,792 cars)
Seat Belt (97V104000). Failure in the "energy management system". Replace seat belt assembly. (first 4,369 cars)
And if you think Nissan service is bad, I urge you to try and get any kind of problem on a GM fixed... Ugh
Old 11-21-2003, 03:42 PM
EL Diablo

Originally posted by El Diablo
"If you want better resale value buy a BMW"

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
"Soo not true, BMW's resale blows.

I said better. meaning better than the Z.
The resale value is better for a BMW than most cars, doesnt mean that it's good. Fact is all cars resale value blows!

bought my Beemer 5years ago and the depreciation percent is better than most cars out there after the same period of time.

Also the condition of the car has a lot to do with what the value will be. Most sports cars I think are driven hard so that aint gonna help.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Stabber

Originally posted by Spyre
So my 03 has a total of zero of those problems. Paint everywhere matches, shifter is fine, no rattles, no streaks, no feathering, nothing. Front paint is actually holding up perfectly as well which I was worried about with all the talk about it but I've had no problems so far. Also figure that people who do have a problem are more likely to come to a message board to either research it and/or vent about it than someone who doesn't use the internet much and has a 350z with no problems. I think we see a higher concentration of issues on the various boards for this very reason. And the people that aren't having problems are starting threads about how they don't have problems. Sorry your car has issues but the fact remains that most people don't.
So you dont have orange peel?
Old 11-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

orange peel is on all of them - just a fact of life with this car i guess.

One thing I am personally impressed with is overall resitance to chops (and I see people posting about chipped paint alot too...who knows). I drive the car about 30 miles per day on the highway and ahve gone on many a 4-5 hour trip so far in the 5000 miles my car has been mine....not one single chip anywhere (and I sem to get caught behind those 18 wheelers carrying the sand to whereever the hell that big sandbox is!)

No rattles in mine either.

I totally agre though -the problem cars are the distinct minority- its just that on the net, the minority gets a loud voice.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:32 PM
Jsn350Z

I had about 10 pits in the paint within two weeks of ownerhip. Then I got the Invisi Guard witch compleatly stopped that.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:58 PM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
orange peel is on all of them - just a fact of life with this car i guess.

One thing I am personally impressed with is overall resitance to chops (and I see people posting about chipped paint alot too...who knows)....not one single chip anywhere (and I sem to get caught behind those 18 wheelers carrying the sand to whereever the hell that big sandbox is!)

No rattles in mine either.

I totally agre though -the problem cars are the distinct minority- its just that on the net, the minority gets a loud voice.
What he said
Old 11-22-2003, 06:26 PM
2Fishy4U

Wink

Somewhere on the repairing board someone stated that the maority of Z problems were with the frist 1,500 or so cars off the production run. I bought my Z in early 2003 and aside from the window streak have not had any problems.

As for resale, if you are so concerned why didn't you just buy a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry, or something lessor like a Civic.

Anyone, buying a few model has to expect some problems, but unlike the Vette, depreciation will be less severe and unlike the Mazda RX8 or whatever they call the thing Z Horsepower is not horrendously overrated.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:19 PM
mashoutposse

"(and I sem to get caught behind those 18 wheelers carrying the sand to whereever the hell that big sandbox is!)"

LOL