Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z Mods: What would YOU do with this budget?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Snooka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would save just a bit more and get wheels+drop. Afterward, in the future, update with a tasteful lip and exhaust.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Snooka

Originally Posted by marques1
Snooka: read my reply
A house and a 350z at 21 is baller.

Cheers,

...but it was still funny and almost ironic.

OP: Keep your chin up. I would save a bit more. This way, you can get wheels and a drop at the same time.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:34 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snooka
A house and a 350z at 21 is baller.

Cheers,

...but it was still funny and almost ironic.

OP: Keep your chin up. I would save a bit more. This way, you can get wheels and a drop at the same time.
I must admit it was pretty funny if you didn't know my situation, lol. To me it was a apples and oranges comparison though. Alot of people on this forum buy baller *** wheels or mod their z without even having their car paid off. I'm pretty sure the op falls into that category. What would your rather own. In all honesty I have money in my account now to throw 4 to 5 grand at wheels but I chose to use my money a tad bit more wisely than that.

A house, decent set of wheels at the time, and a paid off 350z
or
A baller set of wheels for your non paid of 350z

That was my thinking, lol.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:35 PM
marques1

Originally Posted by zerafian
put it towards what you owe on the car
You sir are full of win. This was my exact thinking but maybe came off a little harsh, lol.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:27 AM
OkashiZ

lol, to be fair I've had these wheels years ago when they first came out and weren't going for the same price. Also, I had bought my house around the same time at 21 years old by myself. Also, working and paying for school. So, I could have bought a baller set of wheels or could have had a house and a decent set of wheels. Anyhow, if you were any good at math you would realize that even the axis wheels plus tires would easily go over his budget of 1,500 dollars, so negative he couldn't afford the wheels. At least new that is. I would also like to add that my 350z is paid off and no one else own's my z.
Congrats there bud. When I was deciding between my volks, and a set of 20" axis shines, the sole reason for me even considering them was the fact that the guy wanted stocks and $300 for them with tires, and he had much newer tires than I did. We dont need an excuse why you have axis wheels or whatever, nobody really cares, its ok. I too also have my own house, go to long beach state, and have paid for my z meaning that nobody else owns it. With that being said, I would say for the op to pay off the z so that he isn't tricking out a car the bank or finance company owns.

Last edited by OkashiZ; 01-10-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:37 PM
SQBassHead

dayum this thread got twisted.... lol.. i enjoyed the reading...lol
Old 01-10-2011, 09:54 PM
marques1

Originally Posted by OkashiZ
Congrats there bud. When I was deciding between my volks, and a set of 20" axis shines, the sole reason for me even considering them was the fact that the guy wanted stocks and $300 for them with tires, and he had much newer tires than I did. We dont need an excuse why you have axis wheels or whatever, nobody really cares, its ok. I too also have my own house, go to long beach state, and have paid for my z meaning that nobody else owns it. With that being said, I would say for the op to pay off the z so that he isn't tricking out a car the bank or finance company owns.
That's what I was just trying to say, lol. If your car isn't paid off and you put volks on it, when they come to pick your car up because you aren't paying they aren't going to ask if you want your volks back, lol.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:11 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatSickRip
the amount of $1500.
You intend to dump this all at once and upset the balance of payments. Set the entire economy in a tailspin.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:51 AM
redzblackh

1. stay away from the pop chargers. get the stillen, k&n, AEM, or injen.
2. then get exhaust like apexi dual, or AAM single, depending on your taste, both are around 800 (intensepower.com offers free shipping)
3. that should leave you with about 300 bucks for some test pipes.
there now the burning smell in your pocket from all that money is taken care of!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redzblackh
1. stay away from the pop chargers.
Mind if I ask why you say that?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 AM
ThatSickRip

I must admit it was pretty funny if you didn't know my situation, lol. To me it was a apples and oranges comparison though. Alot of people on this forum buy baller *** wheels or mod their z without even having their car paid off. I'm pretty sure the op falls into that category. What would your rather own. In all honesty I have money in my account now to throw 4 to 5 grand at wheels but I chose to use my money a tad bit more wisely than that.

A house, decent set of wheels at the time, and a paid off 350z
or
A baller set of wheels for your non paid of 350z

That was my thinking, lol.
Really?? And you would know that how? What lead you to that conclusion, oh mighty forum guru?
-I OWN my Durango
-I OWN the Z-paid cash
If you wouldve read the thread you would see that I opted for the $1500 amount because I have other hobbies and interests that I enjoy and dont want to drop $5k+ in mods right away. Instead, you took the time to post things like "save your weak *** $1500" and then go on to talk about yourself, which was of no value to this whole post. Next time I will just PM you for approval on my finances and what to do with my Z instead of posting a thread

Everyone else, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. The winter will give me some time to research them and decide in spring.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:57 AM
redzblackh

Originally Posted by Flick Montana
Mind if I ask why you say that?
well idk about the other motors but the jwt popchargers for the HR and 3.7 on the 370z are horrible. they sound good but almost no gain, some dynos have actually seen "negative" gains from them. where as my stillen gen 3 intakes se 20whp gain from bone stock. and barely cost more than the jwt
Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 PM
CasperZ

what I did with about that same amount of money was 19" black wheels and low profile tires, flowmaster race series muffler, a spoiler, and purchased a set of headers.(but not yet had them installed, because I don't have the 450$ the shop wants yet. haha) but, I'm pretty happy with the way I spent that money personally. I was also lucky enough to get my wheels and tires from a friend in almost new condition for 500 dollars, and I had the cold air intake on it from the owner before, so I had a good head start compared to buying everything brand new. but just trying to throw a little at you from another person's point of view thats done this pretty recently.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:47 AM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

save it for rainy days so i dont have to read a "Im selling my car" thread. After you pay it off, then play.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:59 AM
Subdermal

Catback exhaust and a pop charger?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:50 AM
ShredtheGnar

Lot of haters on here lol, but BECAUSE you have the car paid off heres what I would do:
Since you mentioned it, go for the tint. it makes a black car look great, and its quick, easy, cheap and gives your car some instant (albeit not earthshattering) looks. Wouldnt worry about going darker than the legal limit- i dont get bothered and whenever you get pulled over just immediately put the windows down cops like to see that anyway- and the legal limit doesnt look as sexy

Then i'd say go for an intake/cat back combo, intakes are simple to install, get you a tiny bit of gas mileage and make the engine bay look nice.

As for cat-backs I'm planning on getting the Borla True Dual. my buddys got one and its not much louder or different than stock at idle but when you get on it, it seems to have a nice note thats louder but not too loud imo.

I would say wait till the next stage do it up with some rims and coilovers, but I also have 06 stock rims which I'm pretty happy with.

and if your going for the all black look, smoked out taillights can pull it together really nicely
Old 02-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Sylvia Zcarr

^best advice IMHO.
And do the track time (see the local Porsche Club - they do events at VIR and are great teachers. And, no, it doesn't have to be a porsche to play )

Why? You'll be a much better driver and enjoy the car more. And maybe save the deductable from a wipeout you avoid with new-found skillz...
Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 AM
08panna

on topic, number one for me was exhaust. granted, i have a track model so it comes with pretty good forged wheels, but hearing the Z more is def worth the money. i would then say later on wheels
Old 02-03-2011, 09:01 AM
ShredtheGnar

Originally Posted by 08panna
on topic, number one for me was exhaust. granted, i have a track model so it comes with pretty good forged wheels, but hearing the Z more is def worth the money. i would then say later on wheels
Yeah I think it comes down to what kind of person you are. If you want to turn a lot of heads and maximize the cars looks right off the bat, save/find a good deal and get wheels. If your like me and want to gradually upgrade your looks while having fun tuning a lil, then go for an exhaust off the bat with a couple, small mods like tints and a shift **** (the stock ones pretty light too )