Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z Owners with Automatics - How do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002 | 06:02 PM
BILZ Z

Someone ..... Please close this thread. I don't know if we're talking about old guys with AT's, Gay guys with AT's, or A.. holes who try to push their MT ideas on the rest of us. PLEASE ... close it, I'm getting a headache, I need a MIDOL.
Old 09-06-2002 | 07:01 PM
gammbino350z

Isn't this forum a place where people can express their opinions? I don't see why someone has to get flamed for saying they think a AT defeats the purpose of a sports car. All you guys saying that he's trolling and this and that are just as bad as a troll. If he thinks AT's suck, that's his opinion. Who gives a sh*t? In my opinion, I agree with him. A sports car with an AT makes no sense to me, thats my opinion, and I don't think I'd be wrong if I said most people would prefer a MT over an AT. It's one thing to not know how to drive MT and another to prefer an AT for reasons such as traffic, wifey, etc.. But come on, if you're driving an AT simply because you don't know how to drive a MT, learn damn it. A true sports car needs a MT, that is MY opinion.
Dude no one asked for your opinion...look at the thread title and read it slowly to yourself. MY opinion is that you just want to restart the MTvsAT flame war.
Old 09-06-2002 | 07:05 PM
Jill

Dipstick-
I love my automatic. She's still fast!
Old 09-06-2002 | 07:59 PM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default In total agreement Z-girl

I too have had MT all my life, MG's, triumphs, jags, 300ZX's, now I love this AT and yes she is fast, but with only 120 miles on her I'm not going to push it yet..to each his own, please people don't be judge and jury...your way isn't the only way...if you don't learn to live with it your lifes and relationships will be very difficult due to your selfish inflexibility.
Old 09-07-2002 | 08:35 AM
BILZ Z

No problem, picked her up 1 hr ago and have already been up to and beyond 5,000 RPM. Didn't fall apart ... I'll keep doin' it. She's a beauty. Fortunately for me, sorry other Bose owners, my Bose doesn't appear to have the same problems as the other cars. Wait a minuite, I've only got 50 miles on her. Bose I'm sure will find a way to aggravate me. Can't wait to do some twisties.
Old 01-13-2012 | 07:24 PM
samano1616

ok so my experience with the auto z is pretty good its still got good torque i get kicked back in my seat when i floor it now i have an 04 and when in manual mode there is a bit of a lag before it shifts so if u plan on redline shifting slap it up a lil bit early to get a good shift or you'll hit the rev limiter i learned that the hard way it just takes some experimenting but its all good and as far as goin to the strip i ran a 14.6 with a crappy reaction time im hoping to get a 14.4 next time i go
Old 01-13-2012 | 08:56 PM
ashram

I'm on my second automatic z i had an 03 touring that got totalled the car was very fun to drive , i mostly kept it in auto mode to me the manual mode shifts seemed to lag compared to the smg m3 i test drove but that's not a fair comparison.

the car had great acceleration off the line and pulled very nice on the highway, one of my buds dad has an 03 touring m/t we would cruise all the time and i can honestly say his m/t didn't feel any quicker then my a/t.

I now have an 07 touring and i couldn't be happier the top end is a lot better with the h.r and the power band feels smoother. I can't wait to put some art pipes on and get a tune. compared to other 5 speed automatics ,the z's is definitely top notch.

The only down side i see to the z auto is that you will def have to beef up the transmission if your gonna go f.i. I was close to getting a vortech supercharger on my 03 before it was totaled and did a lot of reading on how the tranny doesn't like to much boost.

i believe there was an issue with the car over revving its been a while since i read on this. But the owners that do beef up there transmissions love there boosted automatics
Old 01-13-2012 | 09:53 PM
HDPDZO6

necrophiliacs...
Old 01-13-2012 | 10:16 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Originally Posted by HDPDZO6
necrophiliacs...
At least they're using the "search" feature
Old 01-13-2012 | 10:17 PM
Arvin89

Have had an auto for 2 years now. Im almost completely satisfied. Im starting to get some "clunking" when it down shifts. But its still covered under warranty for 10 months so im gonna get that checked out asap in the spring.

I drive city 95% of the time. Its always nice to be able to drive with one hand and rest your head on your other hand while your stuck in traffic.
Old 01-14-2012 | 04:54 AM
jetdoc.usmc

Who's the goob kid making idiotic statements? wow, too funny. Kiddy time over jr, let the adults speak for a while, go to your bedroom, hahha.

Back on topic...I have an A/T for a few reasons, one, my 26 yr old g/f will never learn to drive a clutch and she does drive my car from time to time. Secondly, I drive in traffic often, crossing the Bay Bridge and it sucks to play with a clutch in traffic, (I've had many M/T's and while I like them generally, its a personal choice for your own situation).
Old 01-14-2012 | 04:59 AM
jetdoc.usmc

I've been told I've been having a MLC for the past 20 years, no kidding. From the type of cars I buy, to the tattoo's I have, to going to the gym so often, and now, a 26 year of fiance'....wow, when will it end, ahha, (btw, I am 51).

Live and let live, those that have negative opinions on me can suck it, I could care less.

Originally Posted by Dipstick
I'm in Dallas, and there's all types here also. What is misunderstood by most people (and I believe you're one of them) is this concept of old guys having a midlife crisis and trying to convince themselves and the world that they're not old. Yes, there are some people like that. There are some guys that start chasing 20 year old girls (not that there's anything wrong with that ? ). But, it's the exception rather than the rule.

Here's what happens, and sometime between the ages of 45-55 it may happen to you also. You wake up one day and you realize that the kids are all grown and gone from home. You don't need a minivan anymore. You've been practical and responsible all your life, putting the needs of your family ahead of your own. You've scrimped and saved to buy a house, put the kids through college, etc. You're now making more money than ever, and the house, college, etc is paid for. You can now afford one of those shiny new sports cars that you could only lust after 15 years ago. So, why not? And that's the guy that couldn't care less what someone else thinks about his choice of sports car (or whatever else).

Your mileage may vary. Peace.

P.S. - Thanks to you guys who have responded on-topic. Sorry I got sucked into this off-topic argument. You'll have to forgive me since I'm old and weak-minded.
Old 01-14-2012 | 06:14 AM
TS PRO-1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dipstick
Ok, all you Z owners who got the automatic transmission, tell us how you like it. I'm particularly interested in how well you think it works/feels in manual mode, and how much performance (if any) you feel like you're losing vs. a 6MT.

Your opinions and experiences would be helpful for those of us who are considering automatics for one reason or another (traffic, spouse can't drive stick, etc.)
GF bought an AT 370Z even though she can drive MT (we test drove a Cayman first). I guess she just didn't want to dink with MT...

First time I drove the car with her in it and I switched to sport shift mode, she freaked... "What are you doing....stop that...you're gonna break it...put it back the other way now...!" (?!?!?!?)

The car was brand new with a little over 400 miles on it. Sheesh...

To the point, I have seen time & time again where enthusiasts that want the MT and figure they can "have both" with a sport shift AT...play with the sport shift for a few weeks, then get lazy & almost never use it again.

As far as performance, meh...you ain't loosing much.
Old 01-14-2012 | 07:38 AM
Fitzys350z

I had my 03 enth. with AT and I liked it for a year and then just traded it in for a 03 MT touring. I like the MT. I was constantly using the tiptronic in the AT. plus my touring has every option. All my previous cars were MT. I just like having full control of the car.
The At in the Z is very nice. I found if you blip the throttle when downshifting it would downshift smoothly. it did have a delay tho.
Old 01-14-2012 | 09:48 AM
Bober'z

ancient thread bumpage
Old 01-14-2012 | 10:59 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

People are still defending their right to wander around castrated, even my wifes Z was a 6mt and we both drive is heavy Vegas traffic.

Why are people so lazy that they will give up their manhood.
Old 01-14-2012 | 02:09 PM
3oh5z

I was given an AT 04 touring model and so far its pretty tight. My first car was an 04 RSX type-s so the performance of this car is far superior, but i still feel like MT would be more fun. I think this car is still very nice and a lot quicker then most of the other AT cars that i've driven.

Im actually a big fan of road racing and want to take it out on the track one day...Ive never taken an AT car to the track before but hopefully it performs better then my Acura lol

has anyone had any track experience with their AT Z? How was it? Any real down sides?
Old 01-14-2012 | 02:37 PM
jetdoc.usmc

Originally Posted by terrasmak
People are still defending their right to wander around castrated, even my wifes Z was a 6mt and we both drive is heavy Vegas traffic.

Why are people so lazy that they will give up their manhood.
So by your reasoning your wife was manly and has a sack....? hahaha.

I kill me.

Quick Reply: Z Owners with Automatics - How do you like it?