Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it me or the Z starting from a stop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:30 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pcressey
Rev to 4k, then dump the clutch and hold on!
I seriously laughed out loud and my students are testing.. I bet they think i hear voices....

OP, i did the same thing. Driven manuals, and to me it seemed the Z was fighting me. I have an 08 but still. I started doing all starts in second and that made the 2-2500 rpms perfect. I thought about getting my idle raised too, but then i remembered i was lazy and didnt. NOw its perfect almost every time. I take off around 800-1200 rpms depending on if im in a hurry or again being lazy with the clutch.

Id give it a month or so and if you arent improving at ALL have someone lift up her skirt

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Jenkins651

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What grade do you teach?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:14 PM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenkins651
What grade do you teach?
I teach, instruct rather, MK 45 Mod 2 5" gun mount operation and maintenance for the good ol Navy.

aka pre school

wish i could attach the cartoon of the herp derp classroom from the funny/weird/gross thread... Seriously some herp derps derpin in the free world here.....
Old 01-24-2011, 07:28 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by juju
I can never get moving as quickly as I want.

You should be able to make 60 feet in 1.97 seconds on street tires.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 AM
SSNOS

Thanks guys for all the input.

I am fairly well accustomed to sport clutches as I've owned porsches, lotus esprit, M3 and other sport cars. My M3 had a lightened flywheel and HD clutch so I know how that is.

It's not a vacuum leak as my idle rpm is stable and doesnt bounce around or stall. It's only when I engage the clutch in first that the rpms drop so fast. Even if I give it some throttle as I engage the clutch the rpms still fall. I have to raise the rpms to at least 1500 and slip the clutch to take off, otherwise it will stall or sound like its gonna stall.

I dont usually rock it back and forth on inclines. I was using that as an example that its impossible to try to hold your place on an incline by clutching. A better example is say if your on an inlcine in bumper to bumper traffic. If the car in front of you starts moving and then stops after a few feet. It would be very diffiuclut to follow him. I would have to wait till he moved far enough ahead so I could rev up and slip the clutch to get the Z to start moving.

I may try to test drive a DE Z to see if there are any differences. The Z makes me feel like a first time stick driving tard. I dont think after almost 30 years of driving sports cars and SCCA events that the Z should be so difficult.

Last edited by SSNOS; 01-25-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 AM
MaelstrØm

So I got an 04 Z a few months ago and starting out from a dead stop seems like a huge PITA. I've owned many cars with manual trannys, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the Z.

Ok, whenever I start from a dead stop the Z drops rpms way too fast and to the point where it sounds like it's going to stall or it does stall. It's like there's not enough torque to get the car rolling on it's own. Giving a bit of throttle input is still not good enough, the rpms still drop and although the car does start moving, it sounds like its going to stall. I literally have to rev up to 2k and/or slip the clutch in order to smoothly take off.
Yes, 1st gear is tall on the Z. You will stall if you try to drive it "normally". I have the same issue on the car. 2nd gear is somewhat tall too.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 AM
SSNOS

Originally Posted by MaelstrØm
Yes, 1st gear is tall on the Z. You will stall if you try to drive it "normally". I have the same issue on the car. 2nd gear is somewhat tall too.
Thats funny, I always complained that 1st was to short. If I'm at an intersection and have to take say a right turn from a stop, I can't make it around the corner without having to shift to 2nd gear.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if you all are still talking about 04's. But I have an 07 and think its just like any other car. Nothing special. takes me 1-2 times of releasing the clutch and then I know the sweet spot. I dont have to give mine any gas and it'll creep forward. Thats releasing the clutch slower than typical though. I pretty much have it where it stays under 1k - 1.2k rpms for a simple and smooth take off. you've also not given us any details to how long youve been driving, how many standard cars, experience, quick or slow learner etc. that would help us out before diagnosing a car from 1500 miles away.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:46 AM
SSNOS

Swimminggerman - check out my post#25. I've been driving sports cars for about 30 years and they were all stick. Speaking about letting the clutch out slow. If I dont give it any throttle and just let the clutch out slow, I would have to take at least 5 seconds to let the clutch out for it to not stall.

Evertime I leave a light it sounds like I'm trying to launch the car. I guess the best way to describe is like Iam trying to start out in 2nd gear.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:41 AM
jardolei

I have a 06 G and its the exact same thing. I usually start between 1.2-1.5K RPM. As soon as the clutch makes contact the RPMs drop to around 700. I have to slightly slip it to make it smooth, or else it will lurch forward. I just got used to it and it now I have no problems 95% of the time. But if I don't give it enough attention, I'll clutch like a newb, even after 13 yrs of driving stick.

I recommend you get the NISMO stainless steel clutch hose. Since I installed it, clutching has improved and pedal feel is a little better. You can find it for around 140-160$ plus about 1 hour of install time.

Uphill is around 2k RPM, with slight slipping of the clutch.

Looks like this one: http://www.nismoshop.com/servlet/the...-CLUTCH/Detail

It costs me more since im in Canada. We ALWAYS pay more ;(

Last edited by jardolei; 01-25-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:25 AM
SSNOS

Jardolei, That sounds just like what I'm experiencing. I have to slip the clutch as you described. I created this thread because I figured there must be something more than having to slip the clutch everytime.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:47 AM
jardolei

This has been discussed to death on almost every forum (G and Z), and even by professional reviewers. There is nothing you can do except live with it, unless you go aftermarket.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:02 PM
anyjuan

I used to drive a 4.0 jeep wrangler. That thing didn't even need gas on first gear. I'd just lay off the clutch and it would go. Actually I never had to gas while changing gears. I guess that's how they are built.

So when I got my 08z it took some getting used to. I was driving like a noob even tho I've been driving manuals since I was 11. In my experience with my z I have to kinda pump the gas and let go off the clutch while the rpms are coming down. I can't really explain it cause now I don't really look at the gauges instead I just listen to the engine.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:28 PM
MikeBit

I have driven many, many many many cars, most of which were manual. The Z took me a much longer time to completely get used to. I will agree that the Z's clutch is definitely different. It's a pain when you first start driving it, and it scares the hell out of you on a hill (or even a small incline!). After one year of ownership did I really start to feel comfortable. That's 8,000 miles. Go figure.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:52 PM
SSNOS

I really appreaciate all the input. I searched and searched and really didnt find many threads where people were experiencing similar issues. I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with this. I have adapted my driving by doing exactly what you all have mentioned. I just could never believe that was right.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

SSNOS, I don’t know what’s up with your car, but none of what you’re experiencing is typical to a 350Z. The only oddity with a Z, is that the clutch take-up-point is much higher than other small cars. I bought my 04 roadster new in 2003 and in the seven and a half years I’ve owned it, a ton of other people have driven it, and almost all of them have trouble being smooth with the clutch in the beginning. However, once they catch on to where the engagement point is they’re fine.

I’ve driven lots of different Zs and they all were pretty similar. Z engines have a lot of torque and I can’t remember the last time I’ve stalled one. If I’m not in a hurry I just let the clutch out until I feel it start to bite, kick the RPM up to just above 900 RPM, let the clutch out the rest of the way, hit the gas and go.

By the way, once cars went to drive-by-wire throttles, it became easer to use the clutch. Someone here tell me if my thinking on this is correct. On a new car, the ECU can adjust the throttle to maintain a set idle speed. On an old car if you turn on the lights, the AC and the fan all at once, the idle speed is dragged down. On DBW cars the throttle automatically readjusts to keep the idle at the set speed. Same thing when you slowly let out the clutch to feel the initial contact point, the throttle will open itself slightly to try to contradict the loss of idle RPM. If I’m in a traffic jam, I have no trouble just creeping along by keeping my foot off the throttle and slowly letting the clutch out against the 750 RPM idle speed.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:52 AM
MaelstrØm

No, the problem is that the VQ35 doesn't have a lot of rotational mass, the flywheel isn't exceptionally heavy, and the clutch has a short engagement throw. Top it off with the tall 1st gear, and you're on your way to stall city. The 350z gives you the impression that you're using the clutch to start an aircraft carrier rolling. And the engine is NOT that torquey. It is no iron rod V8.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 AM
SSNOS

Jennifer2,
I wish my Z was as easy to drive as yours. When I hit my engagement point, if my rpms are not up around 1500 then it just drops off like crazy and then of course no torque to get going. Also, once I hit the engagement point if the rpms are not already elevated, then throttle input at that point will not maintain or raise the rpms. Almost like my throttle has no effect once the clutch starts to engage.

Maelstrom
That is exactly the feeling that I get when starting out in 1st gear. Feels like I have a 80cc bike motor installed in a buick.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 AM
TJGILROY

Is it me or am I the only one that thinks the Z's manual was a breeze to learn. I mean it is a 6 speed.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:54 AM
SSNOS

Originally Posted by TJGILROY
Is it me or am I the only one that thinks the Z's manual was a breeze to learn. I mean it is a 6 speed.

Idk, You must be the exception from what I'm gathering. This thing has got me stumped and I was starting to lean towards a mechanical issue. Thats until this thread and seeing that others have similar experiences.

Quick Reply: Is it me or the Z starting from a stop?