2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it me or the Z starting from a stop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 AM
SSNOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it me or the Z starting from a stop?

So I got an 04 Z a few months ago and starting out from a dead stop seems like a huge PITA. I've owned many cars with manual trannys, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the Z.

Ok, whenever I start from a dead stop the Z drops rpms way too fast and to the point where it sounds like it's going to stall or it does stall. It's like there's not enough torque to get the car rolling on it's own. Giving a bit of throttle input is still not good enough, the rpms still drop and although the car does start moving, it sounds like its going to stall. I literally have to rev up to 2k and/or slip the clutch in order to smoothly take off.

Another situation would be stopped on an incline and using the clutch to rock back and forth to hold the z in place. I know it's not a good practice, but my Z does not have the power to do it without stalling. I would have to rev up to almost 2k each time I engage the clutch to rock it forward.

It makes me wonder if it's me or if something is not right with the car. My thoughts are:

1. It's just me
2. previous owner installed an aftermarket clutch or something like the Nismo unsprung disc?
3. Something mechanical causing a loss of torque?

Last edited by SSNOS; 01-24-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:45 AM
TJGILROY

Get it checked out by a mechanic.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Hundred Plus

I too own a 04 and will confirm that initially stalling was a concern as was hard shifts. Time and familiarity has changed that as I shift like butter the gears now and cant remember the last time I stall (including uphills) or even thought about it.

Hang in there, because it may be you...
Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

it took some time for me to get used to driving the z. i have driven alot of stick cars, and my previous car was stick, and the z is difficult to learn and to drive it smoothly. only way to fix it is to learn how to drive it.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:10 AM
SSNOS

Thanks guys.

So would you guys say that the Z needs a bit more throttle to get going then other cars you've driven?

How do you guys leave from a dead stop. Throttle input, slip the clutch, slowly depress clutch?

Even if I slowly depress the clutch w/o any throttle, the car sounds like it will stall or will stall. and by slowly I mean taking at least 5 seconds to fully depress the pedal.

Oh, the only time that I have a smooth launch from start is when it's cold and the car is in the high idle cycle. I almost want to get my idle raised to 1500 rpm.

Other than the problem when starting out, shifting in all other gears is super smooth.

Last edited by SSNOS; 01-24-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Odd,on my Z with stock flywheel i don't need any throttle to start from a dead stop, just need a smooth clutch foot. With my JWT flywheel equiped Z, i just need slight throttle input. I unually just goose the throttle, then slightly slip the clutch cause its easier.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
SSNOS

It is odd, maybe the previous owner did put in an aftermarket setup. That makes sense why the rpms drop so fast. There were some mods done to the car when I got it, so maybe they did change the clutch.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 AM
RandomHer0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you start the car, do you have to blip the throttle or will it die?

What about clutching in and coasting, do you have to blip the throttle?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:24 AM
SSNOS

Nope, none of that. So, maybe not a lightened flywheel? or maybe lightened but not too light? What about an unsprung disc like the nismo, would that cause my issues?

Originally Posted by RandomHer0
When you start the car, do you have to blip the throttle or will it die?

What about clutching in and coasting, do you have to blip the throttle?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:27 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If the Z has a performance clutch, such as 6-puck, it is not very "street friendly." You will have to have a mechanic take a look.

The friction plate-flywheel may be warn. Again giving you problems from a dead start. You will have to have a mechanic take a look.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:31 PM
pcressey

Originally Posted by SSNOS
How do you guys leave from a dead stop. Throttle input, slip the clutch, slowly depress clutch?
Rev to 4k, then dump the clutch and hold on!

You get used to it, just like anything else that is new. Soon it will be second nature and you won't have to think about it.

If you really think something is wrong, take it to a shop, or go test drive another Z and see if it feels the same.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Bolaz

Check that theres not a crack on the intake manifold, and its leaking that would cause the rpm's to drop whn your sitting there or it might cause it to stall completely, happenned to me b4 and thats how i found out that i had a crack on the manifold!
Old 01-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Jenkins651

Someone may have mentioned this (didn't read everything), but what did you own before? Unless you owned a high performance sports car you are jumping up in clutch quality. The clutch on a Z lets out much closer to the floor than on a regular car therefor you may not be giving it gas at the time it needs it. This may or may not be the case for you but I suggest finding some flat ground with no one around (a parking lot would be perfect) and finding the exact release point, and memorize it. I had this exact problem when I bought my car. I wanted to give it gas where my old clutch released which made me stall almost every time for the first couple days. Let me know if that helps.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 PM
RandomHer0

Originally Posted by davidv
If the Z has a performance clutch, such as 6-puck, it is not very "street friendly." You will have to have a mechanic take a look.

The friction plate-flywheel may be warn. Again giving you problems from a dead start. You will have to have a mechanic take a look.
Agreed, I had an unsprung 6-puck before and I wanted to kill myself, it had horrible street driveability.

As another mentioned, could be vacuum leak, does the car idle like crap? RPM all over?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:43 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think 'aftermarket clutch" is the reason. I too, don't even need to touch the throttle to get a smooth start on level ground, or even a slight incline.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Dblock55

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

yea might just be you.... i dont need any throttle to get the car going.. just gotta get used to it.... y are you rocking the car back and forth on inclines, thats terrible for the clutch... just put it in neutral lol
Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
nismo_ninja

Originally Posted by SSNOS
I almost want to get my idle raised to 1500 rpm.
i have an 03 and if i launch much more than 1500 rpm ill blow my tires off... you might have mechanical issues
Old 01-24-2011, 03:11 PM
easternriderkid

i never had the problem with the stock flyweel, but when i changed it to the aluminum one it did start droping faster and give that feeling of stalling. Just had to get used to it.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:18 PM
juju

The Z is my first manual but it's pretty annoying for me to start from a dead stop as well. I can never get moving as quickly as I want. I've had the same problem with RPMs dropping and the loud clutch sounding like the car is about to stall. I honestly think I'm just not that good at driving the Z's stick. It definitely requires different amounts of throttle depending on temperature.

Then I have to deal with the 1st to 2nd shift. Cars often get right up on my **** when the light turns green because it takes me so long to get moving up to speed.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Kcee91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even in my Nismo, I had problems driving and getting used to it. Its just managing the throttle. Give it some more gas and you should be good. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Is it me or the Z starting from a stop?