Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Keep the Z or go with a '11 EVO X GSR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:40 AM
mkivttdterror

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also like to add more to the whole engine failure topic.

There's always a few lemons out of a bunch. My boy purchased a brand new 2009 Camaro SS and the engine blew after only 2-3 weeks of owning it. The dealership rebuilt the engine, then it blew again shortly after. He ended up making them give him another Camaro and hadn't had any trouble since.

In fact, I've heard of more VQ's popping. My friend's '03 blew not long after he SC'd it. Rebuilt it, and it blew again.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkivttdterror
I appreciate all the responses guys. I really enjoy hearing from the past/present EVO owners, as well as the people that know someone who owns one, for that matter.

To answer some of the questions, no, I have not driven any EVO's. Unfortunately, the local Mitsu dealer does not allow test drives. Which only makes the decision that much harder.

And I haven't heard of any stock EVO X's blowing up. But thanks for the heads up.

Oh and by the way, if a OP would have been asking this question a year earlier, I would have been the first one to say ''Keep the Z, stupid!'' But you can't really know a car until you've owned it for a while.
I lol at these dealerships that treat the Evo like it was an F430. If there is a Carmax near you, I am sure they will let you test drive one. I like the looks of the EvoX but I am more comfortable (especially for modding) with the 'older' Evo w/ 4G engine.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:50 AM
mkivttdterror

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
I lol at these dealerships that treat the Evo like it was an F430. If there is a Carmax near you, I am sure they will let you test drive one. I like the looks of the EvoX but I am more comfortable (especially for modding) with the 'older' Evo w/ 4G engine.

I'm telling you dude. I once (years ago) tried test driving a brand new Viper, but I was quickly denied. Understandable. 97,000 car... Haha.

There isn't a Carmax in my area. And I'm with you on the 4G63. It's been proven to be virtually bulletproof time and time again. That and, it's been around since like the 80's. But as I mentioned before, the 4B11T is still making a name for itself, and it seems promising. And as I also stated earlier, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a decent specimen when it comes to the EVO 8/9.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:57 AM
BornSlippyZ

I know it is far from your location, but here is a local dealership that sells alot of clean Evo's and they are meticulously check over. Maybe this can narrow/help your search for a new car.http://www.southcoastmitsubishi.com/...&SBprice=clear
Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 AM
pcressey

I would get an Chevy Aveo 5 and save your money.

You have a car note and want to go upgrade to a car that is not cheap, increasing your monthly payment, then mod it? I would focus on paying off your current car and enjoy it for what it is. There will always be time in the future to have toys... you will be wasting money you wish you had 5-10 years down the line.

I would never buy a car I could not test drive either... that is a joke.

My .
Old 02-08-2011, 08:11 AM
kno

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts

talk to this guy, he has been around the block with both cars.

https://my350z.com/forum/members/810...yn-albums.html
Old 02-08-2011, 08:17 AM
mkivttdterror

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
I know it is far from your location, but here is a local dealership that sells alot of clean Evo's and they are meticulously check over. Maybe this can narrow/help your search for a new car.http://www.southcoastmitsubishi.com/...&SBprice=clear

Very nice inventory. Too bad they're so far away.

Originally Posted by pcressey
I would get an Chevy Aveo 5 and save your money.

You have a car note and want to go upgrade to a car that is not cheap, increasing your monthly payment, then mod it? I would focus on paying off your current car and enjoy it for what it is. There will always be time in the future to have toys... you will be wasting money you wish you had 5-10 years down the line.

I would never buy a car I could not test drive either... that is a joke.

My .

I already have the equity out of my car. If I traded it in, I'd have money coming back to my pocket. I put a large down payment on it when I initially purchased the car, and I intend to do the same with the EVO. So I am not concerned with monthly payments since I am in good standing.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 AM
mkivttdterror

Thanks for the info, Kno. I just sent him a PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 AM
sevensinz79

for where I drive around (some dirt roads and ice), my next car will mos def be awd.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:47 AM
kno

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by mkivttdterror
Thanks for the info, Kno. I just sent him a PM.
Np dude GL
Old 02-08-2011, 06:16 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did you post your question/situation in the evo forum? curious to hear what they say. they might not be biased who knows
Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 PM
mkivttdterror

Originally Posted by BoomerZ33
did you post your question/situation in the evo forum? curious to hear what they say. they might not be biased who knows

You read my mind. Haha. That's what I plan on doing next.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Wagoner 726

I'm in a similar situation. I used to have a Eclipse GST fully built with a holset turbo. Very fun car. Told myself I would get an evo next but ended up with the Z. I love the Z. If you do get an evo. Stick to a 9 at the latest. The 4b11 blocks are not as strong as the 4g63.

Here are some things to consider:
Evo has a better platform as far as cheaper parts and more power potential for the money.
350z is expensive to mod but can be very fun too.
Think about how other people will view your car choice. There are 3 types of people: people that know cars, semi know cars and don't know squat. The amount of people that know cars is less than both of the other groups individually and are the only ones that will really know what an evo is. The other 2 groups combined make up everyone else in the world and they all know what a 350z is and know that it is a cool car.

However, if you do get an evo, go with a white evo 9 MR.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 PM
SpunoutZ

Mitsu vs Nissan sorry Nissan for me just seems to be built better IMO. Seen too many Eclipse, 3000gt blown motors when they were somewhat newer and modded. Not knocking the current technology behind the Evo's which they might have improved. I can understand the Evo choice cause you want a roomy vehicle that's fast. Just to me the Evo down the road is
gonna be a fast econo box
sedan while the Z is still gonna
be a sleek classic sports car like the Z32. I got rid of my Z32 TT
and still kick myself in the ****
for doing that. Dont care if your Evo is faster, my Z has more class and style. I'm not a noob to boosted cars, your gonna drop some loot when you start getting into turbo upgrades. I sold my boosted econo box 91 SE-R.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 PM
mkivttdterror

Keep 'em coming guys. Just put up the same thread on evolutionm.net, let's see what happens. Lol.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 PM
bpebzle

Dunno how relative this is to your situation, but I'll try to provide some insight. I've never had a boosted car, but I understand that it's addictive. That said, so is low-end torque. I went from an LS2 to the Z 3 years ago now, and I still have torque withdrawal from time to time. I'd imagine goin from the Z to an EVO would be a similar scenario. You'll def miss the low-end grunt. GL, I know how crazy your situation can be. I've lost sleep over thinking about what my next car would be
Old 02-09-2011, 07:17 AM
mkivttdterror

Update: The guys on the EVO forum seem pretty cool (I always thought of them as being d*cks...) and I've been getting some good insight/perspective from them too.

Originally Posted by bpebzle
Dunno how relative this is to your situation, but I'll try to provide some insight. I've never had a boosted car, but I understand that it's addictive. That said, so is low-end torque. I went from an LS2 to the Z 3 years ago now, and I still have torque withdrawal from time to time. I'd imagine goin from the Z to an EVO would be a similar scenario. You'll def miss the low-end grunt. GL, I know how crazy your situation can be. I've lost sleep over thinking about what my next car would be

Thanks for your story dude. I'm losing sleep on this one as well. Lol.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 AM
driftZ33

i own a 08 nismo and i had an 08 EVO X, the EVO was the better daily and its much quicker. i ended up getting into drifting so having a RWD car made more sense than converting AWD to RWD. honestly though i really miss my EVO...
Old 02-09-2011, 02:42 PM
mkivttdterror

Originally Posted by driftZ33
i own a 08 nismo and i had an 08 EVO X, the EVO was the better daily and its much quicker. i ended up getting into drifting so having a RWD car made more sense than converting AWD to RWD. honestly though i really miss my EVO...

How much quicker did the EVO feel over the 350Z? My Z feels pretty quick to me, and I've been in some fast cars...
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 PM
driftZ33

The EVO was much quicker than the Z and at highway speeds there's no way my Z could touch it, unless it was a top speed race then Z would have the edge. The handling was spot on too, the EVO just sticks to the road. The suspension wasn't quite as harsh as it is in my nismo, but it was still a fairly rough ride, the MR has a slightly softer suspension in it and more sound deadening material is used in that car, much less drone than in an EVO GSR, which was what I had. My only real issue with the EVO was the fact that it was a 5 speed and it was apocalyptically horrid on gas. Just my experience though, but I still loved my EVO and would definitely own another one.

Quick Reply: Keep the Z or go with a '11 EVO X GSR?