Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Keep the Z or go with a '11 EVO X GSR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 06:36 AM
wicked evo x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the evo x and the z, i'd say evo for the speed and z for the looks.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:21 AM
mkivttdterror

Thanks Drift and Wicked. It's good to hear from guys who has been in and owned both.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:53 AM
nismo1543freak

It all depends dude. I have a nismo and I break more necks than my brothers evo x. Don't get me wrong, the evo x is an amazing car which I driven it before. AWD, you can fit 4 ppl and easy to mod since its a turbo. I could of gotten the X but ppl see a nice car and they want a ride. I am single and I don't regret my z over the evo. If you have a limited budget for mods, evo is the way to go. Evo x's been breaking into the 400 whp with their stock turbo and bolt ons. Like other guys said here on the forum...Z is a ***** magnet and there is no doubt about that.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:22 PM
mkivttdterror

Originally Posted by nismo1543freak
It all depends dude. I have a nismo and I break more necks than my brothers evo x. Don't get me wrong, the evo x is an amazing car which I driven it before. AWD, you can fit 4 ppl and easy to mod since its a turbo. I could of gotten the X but ppl see a nice car and they want a ride. I am single and I don't regret my z over the evo. If you have a limited budget for mods, evo is the way to go. Evo x's been breaking into the 400 whp with their stock turbo and bolt ons. Like other guys said here on the forum...Z is a ***** magnet and there is no doubt about that.

I'm over the whole 'attention from the opposite sex because of my car' stage, man. In fact, my Z has NEVER gotten me laid, nor has it even lead to a date for that matter. Lol. Sure, women compliment my car and they like it a lot, but it takes more than that...
Old 02-10-2011, 04:06 PM
doshoru

I'd like to supplement the above poster's "I'm over that" stage by saying that I am over going for the faster car just b/c it's the faster car...at least as far as a DD is concerned. For me, it's about fun, and the Z was infinitely more fun, regardless of which car is technically faster in X situation. YMMV.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:52 PM
mkivttdterror

Originally Posted by doshoru
I'd like to supplement the above poster's "I'm over that" stage by saying that I am over going for the faster car just b/c it's the faster car...at least as far as a DD is concerned. For me, it's about fun, and the Z was infinitely more fun, regardless of which car is technically faster in X situation. YMMV.

Last edited by mkivttdterror; 02-10-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 PM
lil_dave

370?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:52 AM
albaugh81

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GSR wingless
Old 02-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Wipe_Drive

get a 2000 corolla
Old 02-11-2011, 12:24 PM
mkivttdterror

Originally Posted by lil_dave
370?

Nah man. 'Cause then I'd be in the same position that I'm in now.

Originally Posted by albaugh81
GSR wingless

I like it with the wing.

Originally Posted by Wipe_Drive
get a 2000 corolla

You get one.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 PM
GoJira33
Banned

you should get a nice dd and boost your z and dont need to spend a ton for an evo x plus the z looks way better imo. If you boost the z you wont regret it if you build it right.

Last edited by GoJira33; 02-11-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:41 PM
BoomerZ33

Originally Posted by mkivttdterror
Update: The guys on the EVO forum seem pretty cool (I always thought of them as being d*cks...) and I've been getting some good insight/perspective from them too.
post the link to your thread in the evo forum. i want to see what advice they're offering.

also have you come to a decision yet?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:20 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,448 Likes on 1,769 Posts

There are so many stupid ****ing people in this thread it's borderline sad.

OP, if you want some REAL advice, shoot me a PM with any specifics you want answered. Let these fools boil in their own fail.

Tony (former Z owner, current Evo owner, future Z owner)
Old 02-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an '08 X MR that i purchased new in '09 and still have my '03 Z.

The MR back in in '09 was heavily discounted (during the huge automotive meltdown), with 0% APR for 60mo.. i believe in some cases, you can still get that 0% deal now..

Evo X Pros:
0) 0 % APR for 60 mo.. FREE MONEY HONEY!!!!
1) Seats 5, has room for baby seat in the back.
2) TC-SST transmission is great for DD in traffic and the wife can drive it w/o complaining about the third pedal. 6speed for the MR, 5 speed for the GSR. Has Three shift modes, Super Sport mode is amazingly fast shifts.
3) Stock Recaros hold you much better than stock Z seats
4) OE Turbo, boost is fun.
5) AWD with S-AWC. Point n shoot. Literally anyone can pilot this thing pretty damn quick around a track. its kinda scary the lateral Gs you can pull bone stock without suspension mods..
6) HP to $ ratio is much better. Modding for power goes way further a far as HP #s are concerned. Downpipe $450, 3" HFC $350, 3" Catback $500 and a Tune (can be free see #7) and you're looking at +50-80 HP over stock depending on the tune.. (thank you OE turbo)
7) Open Source ECU flash technology available free via internet. just buy an OBD2 to USB dongle and a laptop and you too, can be a tuner! ha.
8) Can use 350z wheels and offsets.. i.e. 18x10.5 +22.. PCD is the same 5x114.3, however lug nuts are 12x1.5 pitch vs the 12x1.25 for the Z.
9) aggressive styling stock. big wing and a mean looking face looks imho awesome.
10) touch open doors. if u have the key fob on your body, you can open the doors and start the car w/o inserting the key into the ignition. i like it.
11) can rotate the tires

Cons
1) No trunk space due to battery and wiper fluid relocation to back of trunk for weight distribution. NO trunk pass through also (i.e. no 60/40 split rear seats like in the STI)
2) horrible MPG for non-tuned, stock car
3) TC-SST is power limited. If you want big power, get the 5spd manual
4) Snap-tite interior and exterior. everything is push clipped in.
5) 08 Gauge cluster is horrible, but the '11 isnt that much better. not enough vital information displayed i.e oil pressure or water temp.. suggest getting aftermarket gauges asap if you plan on tracking
6) MR TC-SST overheats too easily at the track.
7) Evo Seats are non height adjustable. only back angle. if you've got a short upper torso, you're SOL.
8) Non Home-link, non-dimming rear view mirror.. come on mitsu.. even base scions have it.. i ended up getting one from Ebay for $90.
9) Front sway bar install required front subframe drop to install. fail.
10) aftermarket kits majority are just front lips.. full bumper replacements are few

conclusion:
As much as i love the Z, stock for stock, the Evo is more of a driver's car and easy to have fun with out of the box. The Z I think still looks classier than the "grown up Evo" as the X is sometimes labeled. The Evo is easier to take as a DD after a good tune to help out with the MPG issue.

Last edited by Chebosto; 02-16-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be honest. I have had along with my X gf an 06 Evo IX 5 sp. I have driven many times my friends, and customer's Evo X's. The newer evo's to me have lost what they were in the 1st place. Evo 9 was not luxurious, it was not meant to be driven like a soccer dad, and it was not meant to roam around to go shopping in. The X's however have now made the EVO capable of doing all of the above. Many people i know from other forums, and in person who were salivating at getting the EVO X have now regretted getting rid of there IX's for it.

I myself can say if you are looking for a amazing, fun car to drive that will most likely crap on many other vehicles even those out of its class and with little money to throw at it then i would still get the an 06 Evo IX 5 sp. The power in all 5 gears is there. 6 sp as an "overdrive" is garbage and only used for them long trips.

So what i am saying it is a waste to get an EVO X......there is tons more i could say about it, but whats the point...were in a Z forum.

I don't want to put up crazy pix of ours, so here is a link.....Don't mind the Xgf's pix! LOL...http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/k...ture/Evo%20IX/
Old 02-17-2011, 07:57 AM
mkivttdterror

Thanks for the input, Cheston.

Originally Posted by Chebosto
I have an '08 X MR that i purchased new in '09 and still have my '03 Z.

The MR back in in '09 was heavily discounted (during the huge automotive meltdown), with 0% APR for 60mo.. i believe in some cases, you can still get that 0% deal now..

Evo X Pros:
0) 0 % APR for 60 mo.. FREE MONEY HONEY!!!!
1) Seats 5, has room for baby seat in the back.
2) TC-SST transmission is great for DD in traffic and the wife can drive it w/o complaining about the third pedal. 6speed for the MR, 5 speed for the GSR. Has Three shift modes, Super Sport mode is amazingly fast shifts.
3) Stock Recaros hold you much better than stock Z seats
4) OE Turbo, boost is fun.
5) AWD with S-AWC. Point n shoot. Literally anyone can pilot this thing pretty damn quick around a track. its kinda scary the lateral Gs you can pull bone stock without suspension mods..
6) HP to $ ratio is much better. Modding for power goes way further a far as HP #s are concerned. Downpipe $450, 3" HFC $350, 3" Catback $500 and a Tune (can be free see #7) and you're looking at +50-80 HP over stock depending on the tune.. (thank you OE turbo)
7) Open Source ECU flash technology available free via internet. just buy an OBD2 to USB dongle and a laptop and you too, can be a tuner! ha.
8) Can use 350z wheels and offsets.. i.e. 18x10.5 +22.. PCD is the same 5x114.3, however lug nuts are 12x1.5 pitch vs the 12x1.25 for the Z.
9) aggressive styling stock. big wing and a mean looking face looks imho awesome.
10) touch open doors. if u have the key fob on your body, you can open the doors and start the car w/o inserting the key into the ignition. i like it.
11) can rotate the tires

Cons
1) No trunk space due to battery and wiper fluid relocation to back of trunk for weight distribution. NO trunk pass through also (i.e. no 60/40 split rear seats like in the STI)
2) horrible MPG for non-tuned, stock car
3) TC-SST is power limited. If you want big power, get the 5spd manual
4) Snap-tite interior and exterior. everything is push clipped in.
5) 08 Gauge cluster is horrible, but the '11 isnt that much better. not enough vital information displayed i.e oil pressure or water temp.. suggest getting aftermarket gauges asap if you plan on tracking
6) MR TC-SST overheats too easily at the track.
7) Evo Seats are non height adjustable. only back angle. if you've got a short upper torso, you're SOL.
8) Non Home-link, non-dimming rear view mirror.. come on mitsu.. even base scions have it.. i ended up getting one from Ebay for $90.
9) Front sway bar install required front subframe drop to install. fail.
10) aftermarket kits majority are just front lips.. full bumper replacements are few

conclusion:
As much as i love the Z, stock for stock, the Evo is more of a driver's car and easy to have fun with out of the box. The Z I think still looks classier than the "grown up Evo" as the X is sometimes labeled. The Evo is easier to take as a DD after a good tune to help out with the MPG issue.
Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
I will be honest. I have had along with my X gf an 06 Evo IX 5 sp. I have driven many times my friends, and customer's Evo X's. The newer evo's to me have lost what they were in the 1st place. Evo 9 was not luxurious, it was not meant to be driven like a soccer dad, and it was not meant to roam around to go shopping in. The X's however have now made the EVO capable of doing all of the above. Many people i know from other forums, and in person who were salivating at getting the EVO X have now regretted getting rid of there IX's for it.

I myself can say if you are looking for a amazing, fun car to drive that will most likely crap on many other vehicles even those out of its class and with little money to throw at it then i would still get the an 06 Evo IX 5 sp. The power in all 5 gears is there. 6 sp as an "overdrive" is garbage and only used for them long trips.

So what i am saying it is a waste to get an EVO X......there is tons more i could say about it, but whats the point...were in a Z forum.

I don't want to put up crazy pix of ours, so here is a link.....Don't mind the Xgf's pix! LOL...http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/k...ture/Evo%20IX/

Thanks for sharing your experience with the EVO. Like I stated earlier, I have my reasons for not getting the 8/9.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:54 AM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

What's the word on the EVO forums?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Flick Montana

Originally Posted by mkivttdterror
To answer some of the questions, no, I have not driven any EVO's. Unfortunately, the local Mitsu dealer does not allow test drives. Which only makes the decision that much harder.
Really?! Is that normal? It's not THAT expensive of a car. I test drove a $51k Volvo without any hassle recently.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

the car is rare to see in stock. they are very guarded with it. if you aren't a buyer that is ready to pull the trigger, they aren't going to let you test drive it. I've heard of numerous stories of people trying to get a test drive and being turned down - typically younger buyers
Old 02-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
the car is rare to see in stock. they are very guarded with it. if you aren't a buyer that is ready to pull the trigger, they aren't going to let you test drive it. I've heard of numerous stories of people trying to get a test drive and being turned down - typically younger buyers
i was denied a test drive too when i went into get it, but they let me drive the Ralliart version (w/ SST) no problem since i wanted to see how that transmission felt...

Quick Reply: Keep the Z or go with a '11 EVO X GSR?