Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

3M vs. Avery + quote

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 01:30 PM
Jewelz350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3M vs. Avery + quote

Just got back from getting a quote on the clear bra. Here's what he told me. He has two different films. Both come in rolls big enough to cover the bumper in one piece. One is made by Avery and is about 10 mil thick, kind of cloudy and very flexible. The other is of course made by 3M, is closer to 16 mil thick, shiney and stiffer. He said the 3M has a clear coat paint applied to it to give it the shine. He recommended the 3M on metallic paint. He had a piece of the Avery in stock and applied it to the bumper so I could see how it looked. IMO not very good. The rest of the car shines and where the film was, it was very dull.

This is where he suggested I put it. Full front bumper, full headlight, about a foot up the hood (he would match the curve of the edge of the hood), mirrors, door sill (hadn't thought about that), in front of real wheel but higher than the piece installed at the factory, behind rear wheel up about 1 foot and wrapping under the bumper.

He gives a 1 year installation warrenty + the manufacturing warrenty. And what does all this cost to have installed in my little burg? Are you ready? $185. He wants the car for the day. Can't powerwash or use an automatic cleaner (like any of us would) for 48 hours. You can hand wash the same day. Wax right over.

I'm thinking I'm jumping on that bandwagon. BTW, he asked what kind of wax I had on it because it looked sensational. Thanks Zaino!LOL
Old 09-05-2002, 01:34 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Jewelz: And just where is this little burg? That sounds like one hell of a deal! I'd probably get it for that price and I haven't been a big fan of the clearbra stuff.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:50 PM
perfectlyfrank
Charter Member #09

Joyia,

Any chance you're getting this installed tomorrow so I can see it on Sunday? At that price, I may be taking a trip down to have it done.

On the 3M webpage, I only found one installer listed in Chicago, S&S Auto in Elmhurst. Has anyone heard of any others?
Old 09-05-2002, 01:59 PM
westpak
SFZCC

If anyone has a chance go to a local installer and see if they will give you a deal, I was looking at it but it was very expensive here in Florida but I went to one place and since the car is so new they were salivating at the chance to measure the car and make templates from it so they offered it for free if I left them the car for a day, that pushed me over the fence, I figured if I don;t like it I can always get it taken off.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:43 PM
acid burn

Just got mine done today, full front, 18 inches up the hood (so they had to use the wider 24 inch stuff, not the 12 inch stuff) along with rocker panels right out to the exhaust. CA$700, or about US$425, so I agree you got a good deal.

What they told me (and showed me) was that 3M has 2 different products. A thinner one that looks really transparent and a thicker one (polyurethane I think) that is tougher but was quite noticeable.

Has a clearcoat applied to it? That sounds kind of fishy, but I'm not the expert. Time to research the 3M web site.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:54 PM
acid burn

I stand corrected, see the bitmap for their 2 products. The clear coat is probably plastic film though, not paint.
Attached Thumbnails 3M vs. Avery + quote-3m.jpg  
Old 09-05-2002, 08:05 PM
brackethead

Default Re: 3M vs. Avery + quote

Originally posted by Jewelz350
Just got back from getting a quote on the clear bra. Here's what he told me. ...

He gives a 1 year installation warrenty + the manufacturing warrenty. And what does all this cost to have installed in my little burg? Are you ready? $185.
Joyia- where do you live in Indiana? I might jump on that, too!

I got a quote today from a guy who's an X-Pel dealer in MD... $975 for front bumper, 12" (maybe 24"?) up the hood, headlights, not sure what else.
Old 09-06-2002, 05:12 AM
Jewelz350

I live in Fort Wayne. I just started calling around and by the fifth phone call he was the only one to install the stuff. The name of the company is Fine Lines. He does detailing, vehicle lettering, etc. He is also going to do my race numbers in a brushed aluminum color on a magnetic back. 2 sets of letters, numbers and 3 squares (to keep with the design theme) for $75.

I'm going to call him today and have him go ahead and order the film. He said it would take 3 business days to get it in. Once it's done, I'll let you know how it turned out. Let's keep our fingers crossed. I'll let him know future business may be waiting!